F-150 Hybrid !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah... they put warnings on the gas pumps telling you to touch you vehicle before you being fueling so you discharge any static build up.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:07 PM
MGD, let this guy go. Darwinism works.

- NCSU

Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
oooooooohhhhhhhhh that kind of hybrid....uhhhh

go turbo man, since it runs off of exhaust gases and gives you HP it gives you MPH atleast thats what ive seen. on the other forums im on"hybrid" usually refers to the turbos, especially with our Lightnings since theyre s/c'd

Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM
If he would use the search tool he would see this has been tried and discussed several times and the conclusion is that the reactors do not produce enough hydrogen to make it worth the effort. Where are you going to get the electricity to power 6 reactor vessels? Where are you going to fit 6 of them under the hood?

Hint: There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
*Sigh*

Yer last post has lost you any remaining credibility. Gaseous hydrogen at ambient pressure and temp, 3.3L worth, is approximately the same amount of actual gas (and energy) as is contained in a mouse fart.

Good Lord man, do you no realize how tenuous this gas is? Do you even know it's position on the Periodic Table? You continue to ignore basic physics here.

Your alleged solution also does not provide for any sort of metering, so you can't even control the % mixture, hence cannot know the dilution and therefore cannot tune for it.

Yes gasoline is flammable - but it's the fuel vapour that is the real danger - that is explosive - just like gaseous hydrogen in an oxygen atmosphere.

Unlike gasoline, you are attempting to generate this substance, what pitifully little of it there will be, on a continuous basis, and feed it, via some sort of cobbled together redneck engineering, with very little control /regulation and with great potential hazard into an engine that was never designed to injest such a volatile element in quite this manner. Safeguards???

You continue to dodge the MAF / tuning aspect - which isn't surprising as I do not believe you know enough about it anyway.

You continue to dodge the stoic and energy budget requirements.

Yer on yer own. Good luck.

I just hope there is no one else within the blast radius of your rolling IED. Don't

Norm and NCSU are right. We've been down this road before. Same conclusion - simply not practical. I'd appeal one last time to your better judgement if I thought it would do any good. But I fear it wouldn't. So I am just going to let go.

Signing off.

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-09-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deleted

Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers
3.3L of hydrogen in gas form (of course), doesn't need pressure...the line creates a vaccuum, and does need pressure...matter of fact there's no pressure in the system what so ever, nor is there is a chance of explosion because I'm putting a back fire arrestor in the line that runs to the air in-take.

Next question...

Also, isn't gasoline flammable ? Therefore it would be probable to think that static electricity might ignite a gas pump etc... just a thought.
Hey newbie... Your NOT going to win this argument!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Wow, I'm blown away that a simple question about the practicality would spark so much hate towards one person. I'm really disappointed to be quite honest.

I appologize for something I might have said to make you guys so upset. I was unware that there was such a strong belief system on this forum, that if you don't know something...you are going to get drug across the coals for it !!

I thought this website was out there to HELP people. Not take a **** on them because of they're inexperience. Maybe I just got two or three bad apples here...in which case they've spoiled the whole bunch.

I spoke with a guy out of my home town. He owns a engine tuning facility called IN-TUNE. He said several things that were very interesting to me regarding this "redneck science experiment." He said that the generators will in fact produce gas...called "Brown's Gas." So the science does work... He also said that the engine has no way of blowing up and that it will run smoother....better idling and acceleration ....he said he has put several in for people on the side (given his insurance coverage), and has people saying they are getting 15-30% better MPG's. Where you have loose ends though is when you pump the gas into the air intake, the truck's computer over compensates for the addition of extra O2 (which comes in with the Hydrogen). The O2 sensors do their job and tell the engine to pump more fuel into the cylinders. Therefore, any increased MPG's you would have had are cancelled out with the increased gas flow. HOWEVER, he can tune your engine's baselines and tell then engine that there is no increase in O2 coming in...the only downside is that you have to leave the generators on all the time... because the tunes that he programs into your truck are permanent unless he takes them off. He said the tuning takes about 30 mins and usually only costs about $50-$60. So, coming from this guy, who tunes engines....has a degree in mechanical engineering, AND !!!! has put them in vehicles.... I think he MIGHT have an idea of what's going on.

Either way, I'm not going to get into some battle with you over this ridiculous stuff....it was a simple question and you got all torn up over it. I'm going to take the high road and walk away from this.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, I'm blown away that a simple question about the practicality would spark so much hate towards one person. I'm really disappointed to be quite honest.
There's no hate towards you. Some people here have extensive knowledge about how vehicles, engines, transmissions, exhausts, turbos, superchargers etc work. We've all heard about snake oil solutions like this before, and like the 200+MPG carb, they don't work. People were just trying to save you time, money and trouble, but personally I'd really like to see you try this, record all data before and after the mod, and show us what really happens.

I appologize for something I might have said to make you guys so upset.
No need to apologize... you know the saying, There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

I thought this website was out there to HELP people. Not take a **** on them because of they're inexperience.
Did you look for HHO threads before you posted this one? The topic has been discussed before, and that's why nobody really takes this thread seriously.

You should really check this thread out: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...ars-water.html

as well as these if that thread doesn't help you any.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...ts-anyone.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...xperience.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-hydrogen.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...up-yes-no.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-more-mpg.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...generator.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...onversion.html

And that's just off the first page when searching "HHO"

I spoke with a guy out of my home town. He owns a engine tuning facility called IN-TUNE. He said several things that were very interesting to me regarding this "redneck science experiment." He said that the generators will in fact produce gas...called "Brown's Gas." So the science does work...
Yes, the science works. That means when you apply current to water, you can break it down to H2 and O2. That's all it means.

....he said he has put several in for people on the side (given his insurance coverage)...
Do you think there might be a reason his insurance won't cover that type of work?

Where you have loose ends though is when you pump the gas into the air intake, the truck's computer over compensates for the addition of extra O2 (which comes in with the Hydrogen). The O2 sensors do their job and tell the engine to pump more fuel into the cylinders. Therefore, any increased MPG's you would have had are cancelled out with the increased gas flow. HOWEVER, he can tune your engine's baselines and tell then engine that there is no increase in O2 coming in...
Let me make sure I understand what you're saying here. You put the HHO setup on your truck which creates O2 and H2 gases which you then dump into your air intake. So now you have more O2 coming in than normal, so the vehicle wants to add more fuel to the mix, which keeps MPGs from increasing. To "fix" that problem, your tuner buddy makes a change so the vehicle thinks there is less O2 than there actually is, so it doesn't add the extra fuel and you get better MPGs. Correct?

You're completely ignoring the fact that you are fundamentally changing your A/F ratio, and making it leaner. This could give you an increase in MPGs, but you'll also increase your exhaust temps, could potentially damage engine components or burn out valves, gaskets, sensors, cats, etc.

He said the tuning takes about 30 mins and usually only costs about $50-$60. So, coming from this guy, who tunes engines....has a degree in mechanical engineering, AND !!!! has put them in vehicles.... I think he MIGHT have an idea of what's going on.
I'm also an ME, but the big difference between me and your friend is that fact that I'm not making any money off this silliness. If I had a shop, and people paid me cash under the table to install that crap on their cars, I'd do it too.

Either way, I'm not going to get into some battle with you over this ridiculous stuff....it was a simple question and you got all torn up over it. I'm going to take the high road and walk away from this.
You're the one who opened this can of worms, don't run away because you don't like what you see. I'd love to see you put this system on your truck and prove everyone here wrong (or right). Otherwise, you aren't taking the high road, you're just slinking away because you got called out.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-11-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm still lost as to why I'm getting called out ?? Did I come off wrong ....?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still lost as to why I'm getting called out ?? Did I come off wrong ....?

Not from what I've seen, Geaux...

Unfortunately, we have some members that, by nature, come off as extremely abrasive.

Welcome to our site and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Best,
RP
f150online.com Admin

Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Would it make you feel better if we all said it was a great idea and told you to go for it?

"Called out" meaning you've posted something that's been discussed many times before, and holds little to no factual backing, but you don't want to hear any of that. Kinda like throttle body spacers or resisters that give you an extra 10 MPGs. It'd be like going to a culinary school and telling them you know how to make all their food taste 10x better, when in reality, all you're doing is adding MSG to everything.

That's why I'd like to see you go ahead with this project and post all your results.

As for the "extremely abrasive" members, don't worry too much, after all, this is just the internet and there's no need to get all offended or pissed off. Besides, that MDG guy doesn't know what the heck he's talking about anyways!

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-11-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Would it make you feel better if we all said it was a great idea and told you to go for it?

"Called out" meaning you've posted something that's been discussed many times before, and holds little to no factual backing, but you don't want to hear any of that. Kinda like throttle body spacers or resisters that give you an extra 10 MPGs. It'd be like going to a culinary school and telling them you know how to make all their food taste 10x better, when in reality, all you're doing is adding MSG to everything.

That's why I'd like to see you go ahead with this project and post all your results.

As for the "extremely abrasive" members, don't worry too much, after all, this is just the internet and there's no need to get all offended or pissed off.

- NCSU

Thanks for the compliment, RP And, the new Sig!

First post - asked for our opinions. Opinions given. Rejected by OP. Opinions restated in depth. Rejected by OP. Restated again, in even greater depth. Rejected vociferously by OP. After repeated objections, despite some GENUINE concern for OP's safety and appeals to reconsider, OP is feeling a little affronted. Hmmm. See a pattern here?

'Abrasive member' signing off.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
You've signed off twice now! See a pattern here?

I looked over ALL of the links you posted....EVERY single one had a side that was for it, some of which had even put the mod in their truck AND HAD SUCCESS WITH IT, and then there is ALWAYS the other side ....saying NOOOO, well I haven't done it, but I KNOW it doesn't work.

Here's the deal !! I'm going to put this in my truck....its not going to blow me up and it's not going to hurt my engine!!! And I'm going to get better MPG's after I get my truck tuned.... my guess is after it's all said and done... I'll probably get something like 5 MPG's better and for $150 total about about an hour long installed.....keeping up with this post has been more of a pain in the *** then installing this thing.

Right now...on my Gryphon Programmer...I'm showing 14.7 MPG...might be high, might be low, but I'm using it as my baseline.... I'll run my truck for 2 wks and tell you what I come up with .... FAIR ENOUGH??? I'll document the MPG's from my ODOMETER, not the Gryphon...if that'll be more accurate for you.

Any objections?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Be sure to take lots of pictures showing the install and how everything is hooked up.

You will also need to test your A/F somehow, to make sure it's within safe operating parameters. Usually you need to go to a dyno shop and get them to measure it during a couple pulls. Be sure to show us before and after dyno charts showing A/F ratios. I wouldn't skip this since running your truck excessively lean could cause serious damage. It won't "blow up", but you could melt a piston or something like that.

You must not have read the first thread I posted, it has lots of info as to why you won't see safe MPG gains.

Here's another link worth reading:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4271579.html

In case you missed this part
Originally Posted by Popular Mechanics senior automotive editor
guess what? My fuel economy is exactly the same, whether the HHO generator is turned on or not. And that's exactly what I expected. This isn't anecdotal evidence from several tankfuls of gasoline. It's steady-state, flat-road testing, and I don't even pretend to have actual economy numbers. I'm using fuel-injector pulse widths directly from the OBD II port. That means I'm measuring the actual time the injectors are open and delivering fuel. When the HHO generator is toggled on, there's no change. And when it's turned back off, there's no change. Well, the computer's system voltage sags a couple of tenths of a volt, indicating the current drain to run the electrolyzer.
These mods come under the category of tampering with a federally-mandated emissions control system, making it impossible to pass the underhood visual inspection component of many state smog inspections. To pass this underhood check, no part of the emissions control system can appear to have been modified or disabled. Add in the OBD II pass-fail to the smog check, and odds are these modifications will keep you from getting a smog sticker.
Regardless, remember that you're driving a 5,000+ pound vehicle, not a 500 pound smart car. You know what a BTU is right? It measures the amount of energy something releases when burned (basically). Hydrogen has 270 BTU/cu ft. Gasoline has approx 120,000 BTUs per gallon. So to save 1 gallon of gas, you'd need to replace it with about 445 cubic feet of H2. 1 cubic foot is just over 28 liters. So, you'd need about 12,600 liters of H2 to have the same amount of energy as a gallon of gas.

At 3.3L/min, it's take you about 63.5 hours to generate that much H2.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-11-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: F-150 Hybrid !!!