F-150 Hybrid !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers
Thanks again NCSU for all your sarcastic comments, negative opinions and all you loads of scientific knowledge you've obtained from NC State (?). just keep taking pictures of your truck dude ! Abrasive yet ?
You're very welcome, but I wasn't being sarcastic. Methane has a BTU rating of about 930/cu ft, almost 3.5 times the energy of hydrogen. It should be even better than HHO.

No, I didn't go to State, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-12-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Well, I definitely enjoy the humor and sorry we got off the wrong foot. I hope we can mend the fence. I can safely say anyone who has read this thread has definitely gotten their fair share of humor/entertainment for the month.

Well hell maybe I'll end up running methane in this truck hahaha.

Either way...A. this thing will work or B. it's going to be a sweet explosion. Either of which I'm going to get some level of humor/enjoyment out of it

Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
No worries man.

In all honesty, I don't think you'll see A or B.

Not A because it can't work.

Not B because you're not dropping a stick of dynamite into the engine. Damage from running lean (unless you end up getting lots of detonation) would happen over time, not all at once.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-13-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Well that's good to know. Well hopefully with 6 generators I can push enough H2 in there to get enough detonation where leanness won't be a problem.

I talked to the guy that gets 48 MPG's in the diesel...He said he started with two generators and got a little better MPG's (around 3-4) ...then he added 6 more... and what he thinks he did was overwhelmed his engine with H2...his thinking is that even though his computer is telling his truck to push in more gas to compensate for the lean condition he was inducing, he was pushing enough H2 in.... that it over came the decrease in MPG's that he should have been experiencing....so crap...maybe with two generators (like I have now) ... I might get 4-6 MPG's better ...given my smaller engine...

Heck I don't know... I'm ready to put this thing in. I'm doing it Sunday. So, I'll drive it around...and tell you what happens. I'm going to have the tightest ***hole in the world when I actually turn this thing over for the first time ... d***, wish I had thought about remote start before I got on this chemistry set on wheels thing ...

Could look like this on Sunday

Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
There is no point trying to help this guy because he already knows all the answers. Must be Frank's kid. I bet he still hasn't searched for all the data and discussions we have already had over the years on this. Including the one girl who's brother thought he knew all about HHO and screwed up her truck. I am done. The more load you put on your alternators the more horsepower it takes to turn it so the miniscule gains you get from the reactor is lost. Adding more reactor vessels just demands more power. That has been the historical problem with these items. They are not new. They have been around for years and lots of evidence has been acquired to show they are not effective. If there has been new technology to improve the efficiency please let us all in on it. Stories of 50 mpg Superduty trucks always turn out to be false. If your mechanic has FACTUAL data we would love to see it. Anecdotal evidence is nothing more than hearsay.

Don't worry. You are not going to have an explosion as there is not enough energy in the Hydrogen you are going to generate. If that were true there would be very dangerous Hydrogen Peroxide bottles at all the drug stores.

As I said before Good Luck and be careful.

Last edited by Norm; 02-12-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Norm-

Pretty sweet story about some girl who's brother blew up her truck...but my mechanic's story is bogus . Both hearsay !! I'm not going to respond to what you wrote because I've wore myself out on this thread.

I know the internet is sooo full of **** that's why we ALL spend hours on here exchanging information...so I wouldn't question everything you read on the internet ... check sources.... but I understand...you're older than me .... so you're naturally smarter than me.....I'm a young lad.....so I'm stupid ... I was raised by a guy that thinks like that. hahaha. I'm not being rude...I promise.

Go to youtube.com ---search ford hho generator. It's interesting. Not fact...just interesting.

Last edited by GeauxTigers; 02-12-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Believe me I have been there. People are just trying to help. After all that is what these forums are for. Cheers

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Cool videos.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Remember unless you have hard data from your OBDII or a dyno, pretty much everything else is anecdotal. Like people saying they can feel the extra 5hp on a 300hp engine that a CAI might add. That'd be less than a 2% gain, and I'd be hard pressed to believe that anyone can "feel" that little difference when driving around.

As for tracking MPGs over a few weeks... I've been tracking mine for the past 23,000+ miles and my MPGs vary by 10%-20% based on my driving. The more highway driving I do, the better the MPGs. The less I floor it, the better the MPGs. Winter fuel usually drops my MPGs by 1 or 2. If you'd really like, I can try and find a way to post my excel sheet showing my data.

What I'm getting at is, it's very difficult to attribute an increase (or decrease) in MPGs to one specific thing unless you have a test track with good equipment to monitor the vehicle while testing. Otherwise there are just too many variables to consider to definitively say "yes, this one thing increased my MPGs by XX amount". I mean, everything else being equal, just having a lower average ambient temperature will yield better MPGs. So the guy living in cooler environment will have a more fuel efficient vehicle than the guy driving the exact same make and model in Death Valley. This is because engines become more efficient as incoming air becomes cooler.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-13-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Agree with ya there !!!

So maybe, I try several things here .... maybe this generator bs, a couple of e fans and ....? (suggestions)

Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, if you really want to test the HHO, don't do anything else. Otherwise you won't know what actually helped and what didn't.

If you want to increase MPGs, efans are good, and if you really wanted to, you could get a custom tuner to create a Fuel Savings tune and you could run that. Only downside to that kind of tune is you exchange power for fuel economy.

- NCSU

Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 PM
One way that HHO generators could work, and increase fuel economy without breaking the 2nd law of thermodynamics, would be to use thermoelectric generators to create electricity from the waste heat in the truck's exhaust. Then the HHO would be made without an additional load on the engine from the alternator. Of course, it'd be even more efficient just to use that electricity elsewhere in the vehicle, making the demands on the alternator even lower.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Quick Reply: F-150 Hybrid !!!