King Ranch

Puddle Lamps and LED's

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Puddle Lamps and LED's

Hey all.. has anyone figured out how to add LED's to the puddle lamps? Ive done some searching with no results.. Has anyone done this to there truck if so how and or does someone sell LED replacments? Id like mine to match everything else i have LED on my truck. Any help, advise or opinions is much appreciated..thank you

Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg150
Hey all.. has anyone figured out how to add LED's to the puddle lamps? Ive done some searching with no results.. Has anyone done this to there truck if so how and or does someone sell LED replacments? Id like mine to match everything else i have LED on my truck. Any help, advise or opinions is much appreciated..thank you
Yes like these?

Takes about 4 min per light...take the covers off the bottom, pull the light out, replace with LED, done.

They look better in person.

EDIT:

Whoops I thought you had a F250...sorry about that. I think you could so something pretty easy but you would need to drill.

Scroll to the bottom of this link and you will see many different types of puddle lights. This is where I get all my LED's after buying several form other vendors.

http://autolumination.com/tubes.htm

Last edited by RollingRock; 10-30-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 AM

RollingRock..
Ty for the reply..But Yeah im lookin to change the bulbs for LED's in the mirror Puddle Lamps. Like say from 05-08 mirrors. I to have LED's eveywhere i can find on my truck except for these puddle lamps grrr..and there sealed so i was wondering if anyone modified this light and added LED's. There has to be someone thats done this by now..thanks again...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cannot find it for the life of me but, I think this was attempted (or at least considered) by someone else here... Let me keep searching...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Moderator &

Found it. Might check with JackandJanet.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ki...dle-lamps.html

Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Found it. Might check with JackandJanet.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ki...dle-lamps.html
I'm still in the same place as before - no LEDs in the puddle lamps.

The only way I can see to do it would be to cut the lamp housing apart with a razor saw. I don't really want to try that without a spare lamp module in case I ruin it. You can't buy a replacement module by itself - I've checked. You have to replace the entire mirror to get a new module. Brilliant bit of engineering!

None of the lights from autolumination look like they'll fit to me. The light is about 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 inches in diameter and it has only two electrical leads.

I suppose one of these days I'll have to tour the junk yards and see if I can find a mirror with the same lamp module. Ford seems to have put them in several different models, so there's probably a wrecked one by now.

- Jack

Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Can anyone working for ford look into this for me and alot of others that would like to do this mod. Somehow they gotta be available for sale. Why would they make them so they come off with a clip in 2 seconds and 2 wire connectors. If they werent avail or you have to buy only the mirror wouldnt they have sealed the lamp all together?

Last edited by tg150; 11-01-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Well, what's the saying - better late than never? Sorry for the late reply, but since I bought the wife her own '07 Harley F-150 I've had two trucks to mod. And really the only thing left was these pesky puddle lamps. Well, the mystery has been solved. After purchasing a 30 day subscription through Helm Inc. for the F-150 manuals - I actually found a part number for the puddle lamp itself: 2L1Z-13B375-AA and retails for about $ 33 each at your local stealership! Now on to the fun stuff:

I broke down and had to disassemble one of these (it was the ONLY lamp in the trucks that hadn't been converted to LED).

Here is a pic of the lamp taken apart:

The lens is sonically welded to the black base housing. I little work with a utility knife and some heat - and voila it came off. The bulb inside is a 31mm festoon.

This is the LED I plan on putting inside the base once I remove the reflector lens (since LED are directional):

You are welcome!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Moderator &

Good stuff!

Care to post the part number?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Good stuff!

Care to post the part number?
The OEM Ford part # for the entire assembly is in the post above in bold:

2L1Z-13B375-AA

Retails for about $ 33 at your local stealership!

Rockpick - where are you located in KY?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Moderator &

Sorry about that... I didn't scroll side to side (big pic!)...

I'm in Louisville -- live in La Grange. I do some work over there in your area... Osram Sylvania.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Sorry about that... I didn't scroll side to side (big pic!)...

I'm in Louisville -- live in La Grange. I do some work over there in your area... Osram Sylvania.

That's where I work! Look me up some time. My name is Jeremy Houle. I work on unit 43 2nd shift. My black '07 Harley F-150 is always parked in the back parking lot!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Jeremy - that's a great post you put up in this thread and the one I started on the same subject where you show how the lamps come apart. Unfortunately, I'm about 99% positive that the part number you found for the "lamp assembly" actually is for the turn signal lamp (LEDs) in the mirror. There's some "exploded" views for the mirrors in some of the sources I've looked at and that part is a rectangular module. Unfortunately, I can't locate those views anymore so I can't provide a link to them.

I'd actually ordered this at my dealership thinking it was the puddle lamp, and it wasn't.

However, good on you for getting the lamp apart! Can you elaborate a bit on what you said about using heat to separate the lens from the housing?

The LED you're planning to use looks like the one I put up in the ceiling light over the back seat. It is VERY bright!

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 11-03-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Changed wording in first paragraph
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Jeremy - that's a great post you put up in this thread and the one I started on the same subject where you show how the lamps come apart. Unfortunately, I'm about 99% positive that the part number you found for the "lamp assembly" actually is for the turn signal lamp (LEDs) in the mirror. There's some "exploded" views for the mirrors in some of the sources I've looked at and that part is a rectangular module. Unfortunately, I can't locate those views anymore so I can't provide a link to them.

I'd actually ordered this at my dealership thinking it was the puddle lamp, and it wasn't.

However, good on you for getting the lamp apart! Can you elaborate a bit on what you said about using heat to separate the lens from the housing?

The LED you're planning to use looks like the one I put up in the ceiling light over the back seat. It is VERY bright!

- Jack
Jack I am 100% on the part number - but just for reference - here is the OEM Ford part page with the base part #:

http://www.xtreemkreations.com/puddle.pdf

As for the getting the lamp apart I used a utility knife around the clear lens then I slowly heated it up with a heat gun. Voila it popped right off. I plan on resealing it with superglue adn then maybe run my soldering iron around the edge just for good measure!

Hope this helps everyone!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Jeremy - that's a great post you put up in this thread and the one I started on the same subject showing how the lamps come apart. Unfortunately, I'm about 99% positive that the part number you found for the "lamp assembly" actually is for the turn signal lamp (LEDs) in the mirror. There's some "exploded" views for the mirrors in some of the sources I've looked at and that part is a rectangular module.

- Jack
Jack your absolutely correct.. I called Tasca today and they said Part# 2L1z-13B375-AA is incorrect. It's not a puddle lamp.. BUT .. GOOD NEWS.. Are you sittin down? I'm sure you waited a long time for this but i got a PART# for You

The correct part# isssss-- 3F1Z-13B375-AA $26.13 from Tasca Ford..Ordered myself 2 of them just today.. Let the modding begin and GL.. Thats a part # for the 08 models f-150 and the Edge but should fit all F-150 with puddle lamps. I had an extra one from an edge and heated it till the mounting clip start to melt and that sucker still didnt come off.. I recommend a Razor Saw for a clean cut and you dont have to go far into the light because the lense has a lip that goes down into the black base of the lamp and snaps in. Be patient cutting around it and pop it off with a small screwdriver.

Quick Reply: Puddle Lamps and LED's