King Ranch

Puddle Lamps and LED's

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well... one is installed.

I broke the dang tab on the other one and I'm in the process of building up the epoxy to 'rebuild' the tab. I like the look...

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.

Hint: a mini-saw works GREAT at getting the lense off of the light assembly. I used it to gently saw around the perimeter of the assembly, took a small flat head screwdriver and popped up the rest of the lense. I used this methodology on the second one (the first one nearly drove me take up drinking heavily).

-RP-

Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Yep, I found the mini-saw method worked like a charm too. And, those tabs are really easy to break, aren't they? That was another reason I wasn't too eager to keep taking the thing out and putting it back in, but, on mine, having epoxy on the inside curvature of the tab seems to be holding it ok. I also filed the outside down a bit (too much actually - then I had to build that back up some with more epoxy). I'm beginning to think epoxy is like velcro - couldn't live without it.

At least now we have a valid part number for the danged things if we totally destroy one. Thanks again, tg150!

Glad you like the look. I expect I will too.

- Jack

Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Moderator &

Yep. I'm going to have to do a tidbit of sanding on mine once the epoxy dries as well. There's a HUGE blob there now (intentional). I think it'll hold just find though. I'm not worried about it...

I resealed mine with standard clear silcone. One tiny bead around the interior rim of the clear lense and then a bead around the outside between the clear plastic and black plastic. I think it'll work like a charm!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Moderator &

...and, YES! Those dang tabs are *SIMPLE* to break. I love ABS plastic!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HMM
I ordered my LEDS from SBLEDS also on the 30th of October. Got a tracking # last fri on the 31st and STILL no LEDS.. There only shipping from Saint Louis to NJ. Hope it didnt get lost, but i have a feeling ill be eating them anyway and going with the 6 LED high Power that i bought on Ebay.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Yep, I found the mini-saw method worked like a charm too. And, those tabs are really easy to break, aren't they? That was another reason I wasn't too eager to keep taking the thing out and putting it back in, but, on mine, having epoxy on the inside curvature of the tab seems to be holding it ok. I also filed the outside down a bit (too much actually - then I had to build that back up some with more epoxy). I'm beginning to think epoxy is like velcro - couldn't live without it.

At least now we have a valid part number for the danged things if we totally destroy one. Thanks again, tg150!

Glad you like the look. I expect I will too.

- Jack
Jack im glad i could be of help. But sure wish id get my LEDs so i can get the ball rolling.. And i hope i dont break any of my tabs to, even though i have a spare set i'd like to keep it that way.. Goodluck

Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by tg150
HMM
I ordered my LEDS from SBLEDS also on the 30th of October. Got a tracking # last fri on the 31st and STILL no LEDS.. There only shipping from Saint Louis to NJ. Hope it didnt get lost, but i have a feeling ill be eating them anyway and going with the 6 LED high Power that i bought on Ebay.
tg150 - I've never seen a shipment from them take that long. Did you have them shipped USPS or was it UPS? I've always had them ship by USPS and it only takes 2-3 days at the most. Usually, I have the shipment before it is acknowledged in the tracking system.

Just try to be "gentle" when prying the tab with a screwdriver - don't bend it any more than you have to. It helps if you can kind of pry on the lip of the light at the same time with your fingernail or another screwdriver to pull the light down and the tab out of the mirror housing. This is another of those times when we'd be better off with four hands instead of two.

Once you get the tab out, you still have to play with it a bit to get the whole thing out because of the groove on the other side of the capsule (which you can see on the ones you had shipped to you).

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 11-08-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Didn't need my name twice - sorry!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:56 AM

tg150 - I've never seen a shipment from them take that long. Did you have them shipped USPS or was it UPS? I've always had them ship by USPS and it only takes 2-3 days at the most. Usually, I have the shipment before it is acknowledged in the tracking system.

Just try to be "gentle" when prying the tab with a screwdriver - don't bend it any more than you have to. It helps if you can kind of pry on the lip of the light at the same time with your fingernail or another screwdriver to pull the light down and the tab out of the mirror housing. This is another of those times when we'd be better off with four hands instead of two.

Once you get the tab out, you still have to play with it a bit to get the whole thing out because of the groove on the other side of the capsule (which you can see on the ones you had shipped to you).

- Jack

- Jack
OK now in kinda bummed..They were shipped USPS and i got a tracking # on the 31st of October. At this point i might get my other ones from Hong Kong sooner. Thanks for the tip for removing the lamps. Ive got new 08 mirrors.. power,heat,signal and fold that i had converted over to my 04 so i figure there nice and new, i might not have a problem removing them. (plastic might not be weaker/brittle yet). I had my installer install them to fold independently with 2 small switches mounted next to my other door switches and they can be stopped anytime during folding them.. I love them, what a great help, so i just wanna finish this mod to go on to the next. TY

Last edited by tg150; 11-08-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Does the USPS tracking website tell you anything when you enter the tracking number?

- Jack

Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 PM

Hey All..
Ok, Well i waited more than 12 business days and never recieved my SBLED's order so i chose to cancel it. I did however get a pair of 6 LEDs that i ordered from Hong Kong in 6 days..Go figure

Below there's a pic of the bulbs i chose and the reflector didn't need to be removed. Also there's a few comparison shots between the LED's and Stock. If there's anything i'd recommend is to get the brightest bulbs you can find. Something about the lense, the thickness,the way it's frosted or something but it blocks alot of light from passing through.. Without the lenses on these bulbs they were like spot lights. Hope this helps

Old 11-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good. As soon as I get the truck back I've got two sets of 31mm festoon LED's to try in mine.

A 9 LED version:

And V-LEDS has a 16 LED version that will def. require the reflector to be removed:

As soon as Ford gets done fiddling around with my baby I'll post of some comparison pics also!

- Jeremy

Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by harly4d
Looks good. As soon as I get the truck back I've got two sets of 31mm festoon LED's to try in mine.

A 9 LED version:

And V-LEDS has a 16 LED version that will def. require the reflector to be removed:

As soon as Ford gets done fiddling around with my baby I'll post of some comparison pics also!

- Jeremy

The 9 led is similar to the one's i canceled on SBLED's.. 3022-x9 LED Festoon Base Bulb. Not sure you'll be totally satisfied with them but im interested in seein your results.
-thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Global Moderator &

tg150, those are GREAT comparison pictures! I'm pretty sure the bulbs I'm getting are like the ones you installed. So far, I've got a tracking number and I know they've left China on an airplane, but that's as far as it goes. They are "expected" here on or before Nov 26.

Good to know you could use these without taking the reflector out. I've left mine intact hoping that would be the case.

- Jack

Old 11-16-2008, 01:51 AM

tg150, those are GREAT comparison pictures! I'm pretty sure the bulbs I'm getting are like the ones you installed. So far, I've got a tracking number and I know they've left China on an airplane, but that's as far as it goes. They are "expected" here on or before Nov 26.

Good to know you could use these without taking the reflector out. I've left mine intact hoping that would be the case.

- Jack
Jack, Thank you for the compliment. Yeah i believe we have very similar bulbs. I'm sure you'll be really happy with them, pictures dont do justice. Hopefully you'll get yours soon to..

And yes they cleared the reflector pretty good, i to didnt wanna remove my reflector. Little overkill for me.

Have you decided how your gonna seal yours up yet? Gonna go the silicone route or super glue? Let me know.

Goodluck

Old 11-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by tg150
Jack, Thank you for the compliment. Yeah i believe we have very similar bulbs. I'm sure you'll be really happy with them, pictures dont do justice. Hopefully you'll get yours soon to..

And yes they cleared the reflector pretty good, i to didnt wanna remove my reflector. Little overkill for me.

Have you decided how your gonna seal yours up yet? Gonna go the silicone route or super glue? Let me know.

Goodluck
My LEDs just arrived today and they look just like the ones you used tg150. So, shipping from Shanghai, China, they left on Nov 8 and arrived here 13 days later and the total cost for two (including shipping) was just a bit over $14. I got a discount code worth 20% off my next order with them too, so I'm pretty happy with VirtualVillage.

I tried them in my puddle lamp modules and they are VERY bright. They do exactly what I want them to do. One note: these lamps are "polarized" so if you attach the wires to the module and the lights don't light, simply reverse the wires and they probably will. Try the hookup BEFORE you put the capsule back into the mirror so that you won't have to try to dig it out again if it's wrong.

I decided to seal my capsules back together with silicone. I think contact cement, Marine Goop or Super Glue Gel would have worked well too. I used Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant (16B). I happened to have a tube of this on hand and it seemed to work very well.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Puddle Lamps and LED's