King Ranch

Puddle Lamps and LED's

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Now I know why I didn't see 30mm festoons there. If you look at the specifications page, the 3022-CWHP2 bulbs are actually 30.9mm long. On one page they're listed as 31mm, but on the order page, they're shown as 30mm. They'll fit.

I ALMOST ordered those. I'm certain they are SMT LEDs and I have the 4210-WHP6 bulb in my dome light. It is VERY bright. I suspect even with just two LEDs, the bulbs you ordered will be bright enough.

I DID want to have brighter ones though, which is why I ordered the ones I did. They have 6 LEDs in a 31mm package and they look like SMT (or is it SMD? - I seem to see both names in different places). But, I'm not sure where they're being shipped from. Shipping was less than $4, but they COULD be coming from China! (I can't really tell).

So, I'm prepared for what could be a long wait.

- Jack

Old 11-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm betting that I'll have mine in on Thursday.

What are you guys using to reseal the capsule?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I DID want to have brighter ones though, which is why I ordered the ones I did. They have 6 LEDs in a 31mm package and they look like SMT (or is it SMD? - I seem to see both names in different places). But, I'm not sure where they're being shipped from. Shipping was less than $4, but they COULD be coming from China! (I can't really tell).

So, I'm prepared for what could be a long wait.

- Jack[/QUOTE]

Jack check the FAQ section at VirtualVillage.. Say 14-21days Air.. Unless you had them Fed-Ex'ed, and there from Shanghai, China. I bought a similar set earlier today on ebay also from Hong Kong. We'll see. GL

Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Thanks, GL - I can wait that long. I rechecked the specs and they ARE SMT LEDs, so they should be nice and bright. This is the web page for the lights I ordered: http://www.virtualvillage.com/items/...LAID=197417435

Rockpick, you'll get yours quickly. I've ordered a bunch of bulbs (mostly for yard lights) from them and they ship fast. I've also been impressed with their quality. I've not had a single failure with any of the ones from them, but did have two MR-16 bulbs go bad that I bought from a different source.

The capsules are ordinary plastic, so superglue should work fine to put them back together. But, I may see if something like silicone caulk or Aquarium Goop will work in case I ever want to take them apart again.

- Jack

Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Moderator &

Thanks guys. I should be able to attempt this over the weekend. I'll try to document it well.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Global Moderator &

RP, I noticed your posts on this in a different thread. The 6-LED lamp you're getting for the dome light will work just fine. No problems with heat - it's the one I put in.

I'm not sure the 12 LED lights you're planning to use in the bed lights will do as well though. They won't be as bright as SMD lights and they may fail prematurely. I'd suggest trying WLED-WHP9 lights from SBLEDs. I just took the bed light bulbs out of mine, since I have a cap that covers the third brake light.

I painted the inside of my license plate light housings with silver plastic paint to make them more reflective. And, I used the same lights you are getting - they are front firing and they need the reflecting help from the inside of the housing. I'm very happy with the way mine look.

Hope these thoughts help.

- Jack

Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Moderator &

Great info there, Jack. Thanks.

I'll give the 12-LED version a go for now. Lucky for us, these things aren't terribly expensive so, if they fail - oh well. I'll swap them out for something else.

Did you notice that painting the interiors of the license plate holders helped in getting the light 'out' and onto the plate? That seems like a very simple fix -- I'll just need to find some highly reflective silver paint...

Do you like the 6-LED version on the dome? Does it put out ample light?

Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator &

The 6-LED dome light is VERY bright Brad. I think you'll be quite happy with it.

I didn't really try the license lights without painting the insides of the holders. I just knew that the holders have a "window" on the side and that the LED is "forward firing" - which would put all the light against the black front of the holder. Fortunately, the LED bulb is short enough that it doesn't cover the window and the LED's housing is white, so it helps reflect.

My first thought was to try to make a reflector out of aluminum foil, but I gave up on that idea pretty quickly. Then, I found a bottle of chrome "Short Cuts" paint by Krylon that I'd had for many years and gave it a try, knowing it wouldn't hurt anything if it didn't work. I used a small modeling brush and was careful to keep the paint off the window. It worked beautifully.

I was notified that the LEDs I'm putting in my puddle lamps are on the way and will arrive around Thanksgiving. Hopefully, they'll fit. If not, I'll probably try the ones you ordered.

- Jack

Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Moderator &

I think that mine will be in today. If all goes to plan, I'll probably install 'most' of the order tonight. I'll probably not mess with the puddle lamps until this weekend as they're a bit more involved (as you guys already know... lol!).

How do the license plate lights pop off?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Rockpick
I think that mine will be in today. If all goes to plan, I'll probably install 'most' of the order tonight. I'll probably not mess with the puddle lamps until this weekend as they're a bit more involved (as you guys already know... lol!).

How do the license plate lights pop off?
I just stuck a screwdriver into a slot between the light and the bumper. They pry out fairly easily and I don't see any danger of breaking anything.

Supposedly, Ford wants you to crawl under the bumper and remove the light holder to replace the bulb (1/4 turn bayonet, if I remember right). Seems a hard way to do it.

- Jack

Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 PM

K guys..Here you go.. I got them yesterday!!
*Note* Notice the part #.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Moderator &

GREAT INFO! Good stuff.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rockpick
GREAT INFO! Good stuff.
Thank You..

Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Amazing! I didn't think there was any way to get these. Great work!

- Jack

Old 11-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Amazing! I didn't think there was any way to get these. Great work!

- Jack
thanks Jack..And your welcome.. Now go order yourself a spare set before ford gets a million orders.

Quick Reply: Puddle Lamps and LED's