King Ranch

Puddle Lamps and LED's

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack
Good to here you got your bulbs. 13 days shipping from Shanghai China really doesnt sound to long esp for $14 to your door. Can't beat it for the price and quality.

Glad your happy with the bulbs too.. I love mine.. I know i said i wanted them bright as possible and i got what i wanted..Anything brighter would just be overkill..lol
We'll goodluck, happy we were able to figure out this mod. Keep those Puddle lamp Part #'s somewhere safe

Wonder how Rockpick ever made out with his..

Take Care
-Tony

Last edited by tg150; 11-25-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tg150
Jack
Good to here you got your bulbs. 13 days shipping from Shanghai China really doesnt sound to long esp for $14 to your door. Can't beat it for the price and quality.

Glad your happy with the bulbs too.. I love mine.. I know i said i wanted them bright as possible and i got what i wanted..Anything brighter would just be overkill..lol
We'll goodluck, happy we were able to figure out this mod. Keep those Puddle lamp Part #'s somewhere safe

Wonder how Rockpick ever made out with his..

Take Care
-Tony
Thanks, Tony - Yes, I've got a "note" in my "cars" folder that has the part number.

I thought about posting pictures too, but yours were so good, there was no point in doing it. I can say though, that the LEDs are brighter than the original incandescent lamps.

I've noticed that Virtual Village no longer seems to have the SMT white bulbs for some reason, but they have blue ones and the less bright "bullet-shaped" ones.

- Jack

Old 09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading through the pages, found lots of good stuff on here guys. Thanks for posting everything that you did!

What is the final answer on which LED's to order? Web Site? Part number? I want my puddle lamps to be as bright as possible. Should I go with 16 LED's?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Nice to see this thread revived!

These appear to be the ones I got: http://www.virtualvillage.com/2-whit.../sku002510-064

They are very bright - brighter than the OEM bulbs in my opinion, but "white". They fit into the housings with no surgery.

I used the black Permatex sealant and it's held up beautifully.

You want the 31mm size, and stick with the SMD/SMT style. They sell a cheaper 9-LED kind that has the "bullet-shaped" (not SMD/SMT) bulbs. They are not as bright.

- Jack

Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 AM

X2 Everything Jack said.

Only i used bulbs that i purchased from a seller on ebay..

1pc Festoon Dome 3022 3175 31mm 6 SMD LED (White) Bulb. They were about $8.58+ Shipping.

Only other thing i'd add is dont superglue them back together or you may find yourself cutting them open again someday. Go with an RVT Sealant or what Jack used, i believe there basically the same. If you ever need to change a bulb etc you can prob just heat it up and pull them apart. Hope this helps. Goodluck

P/S Jack.. Way to be on top of things.. Hope all is well with you

Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Things are great with me, Tony. Thanks for asking, and I hope you and yours are well too.

The lights I used are just like the ones in TG150's post. These are known as Surface Mount Devices (SMDs) or Surface Mount Technology (SMTs). They are definitely brighter than any of the other styles and I think they are more reliable. I've had some of the "bullet shaped" ones fail after a few hours.

Make sure the bulb holding tabs in the light housings are holding the bulbs securely. I found that getting the old bulbs out distorted the holder in one of mine slightly and the new bulb would sort of "pop out", until I bent the holding tabs back on it a bit.

And, as I said in one of the earlier posts, my bulbs were "polarized". Test that they light before you put them back in the mirrors and reverse the wires if necessary.

- Jack

Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TG150, is that a handy 12v test station you have that you're using to light up the LED? If so, where can I find one similar?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by f22a
TG150, is that a handy 12v test station you have that you're using to light up the LED? If so, where can I find one similar?

Sorry, wish i could help you out but that was just an internet picture from a seller that i purchased my L.E.D from..

Maybe someone will chime in and tell you what you need. Goodluck

Old 10-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by tg150
Sorry, wish i could help you out but that was just an internet picture from a seller that i purchased my L.E.D from..

Maybe someone will chime in and tell you what you need. Goodluck
Honestly, looks to me like a couple of wires with alligator clamps on the end. I'd imagine the other end of each wire terminated in battery clamps. Not really a test station at all. But, a good idea to test the things.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Puddle Lamps and LED's