King Ranch

Puddle Lamps and LED's

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg150
Jack your absolutely correct.. I called Tasca today and they said Part# 2L1z-13B375-AA is incorrect. It's not a puddle lamp.. BUT .. GOOD NEWS.. Are you sittin down? I'm sure you waited a long time for this but i got a PART# for You

The correct part# isssss-- 3F1Z-13B375-AA $26.13 from Tasca Ford..Ordered myself 2 of them just today.. Let the modding begin and GL.. Thats a part # for the 08 models f-150 and the Edge but should fit all F-150 with puddle lamps. I had an extra one from an edge and heated it till the mounting clip start to melt and that sucker still didnt come off.. I recommend a Razor Saw for a clean cut and you dont have to go far into the light because the lense has a lip that goes down into the black base of the lamp and snaps in. Be patient cutting around it and pop it off with a small screwdriver.

That's the same base part # - just for a different model! Look at the diagram I posted.

OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
2l1z13b375aa $44.48 $0.00 $29.36

LP ASY-RR VW O/S MIR

From Tasca

Last edited by harly4d; 11-03-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I'll be VERY interested in seeing what arrives, tg150. But, to both you and Jeremy - great work on getting them apart!

I'll have to go out and play with mine now.

- Jack

Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houlej
That's the same base part # - just for a different model! Look at the diagram I posted.

OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
2l1z13b375aa $44.48 $0.00 $29.36

LP ASY-RR VW O/S MIR

From Tasca
houlej
you might be correct because of the base #s being similar except for the first 2. If it worked for you great, Tasca said it was incorrect.. Heres what i got..

3F1Z-13B375-AA $39.50 Tasca $26.13
Front door - Outside mirrors - Puddle lamp
Puddle lamp Back 2008

Last edited by tg150; 11-03-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to let you guys be the guinea pigs here... I may give it a go once we get this all figured out.

As for Osram -- I handle the groundwater issues over there near the above ground storage tanks between glass & assembly. I'm only up there 3 or 4 times per year...

Old 11-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Moderator &

Do you guys think that a 30mm bulb will fit in the place of a 31mm bulb?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Rockpick
I'd think so, you might have to bend the mounting contacts in a bit, but 1mm is not much, is it?

I got both of my puddle lamps apart. Like tg150, I didn't have much luck with the heat gun, but was able to cut through the glue weld with a razor saw and a knife (where the razor saw wouldn't fit). The glue line is about 1/16 inch wide.

I think I may try to put them back together again with something like silicon caulk instead of superglue in case I ever want to take them apart again. (I have had some LEDs fail - my guess is the quality control is not too even. If they work for a month or so without failing, they're probably good for their rated lifespan.)

- Jack

Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Ill let you be the guinea pig then you let us know.

J/K.. we'll its a 1 1/4" bulb. According to SuperBriteLeds a 30mm should fit..

Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Moderator &

Well, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do the LED thing ALL THE WAY around and inside the truck.

I'll look forward to the report from you'z guyz on the mirror capsule... of course, I'm going to wait until I get confirmation before I go ripping into mine.

J&J - did you get yours back together and functional?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Well, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do the LED thing ALL THE WAY around and inside the truck.

I'll look forward to the report from you'z guyz on the mirror capsule... of course, I'm going to wait until I get confirmation before I go ripping into mine.

J&J - did you get yours back together and functional?
No, they're simply apart in two pieces, looking like the pictures Jeremy posted. I ordered two LED lamps today, and I have no idea when they'll arrive. I ordered them from VirtualVillage.com and I don't know if this is a good place to get them or not, but, the cost shipped for a pair is under $14 - it was worth a try. They look a lot like the ones Jeremy was going to use.

The lights I wanted were SMT LEDs - These are the "flat", "yellowish" looking ones when they're off, but they are bright, WHITE color when on. I think the lights I ordered are this kind. They also seem to be the most reliable.

I could not find 31mm SMT ones from SuperBrightLights.com, my favorite source.

But, I KNOW I can put the capsule back together with no trouble, as soon as I get a lamp to put into it.

So, until my lamps arrive, I simply cover the holes in the bottom of the mirrors with aluminum tape. You can't even see it unless you get down and look up and it keeps the dirt and crud out of the housing.

Not knowing how the lens and capsule were put together was what stopped me from trying to take it apart. As soon as Jeremy did it and showed what it looked like, I had no problem doing it myself. Thanks, Jeremy!

- Jack

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
No, they're simply apart in two pieces, looking like the pictures Jeremy posted. I ordered two LED lamps today, and I have no idea when they'll arrive. I ordered them from VirtualVillage.com and I don't know if this is a good place to get them or not, but, the cost shipped for a pair is under $14 - it was worth a try. They look a lot like the ones Jeremy was going to use.

The lights I wanted were SMT LEDs - These are the "flat", "yellowish" looking ones when they're off, but they are bright, WHITE color when on. I think the lights I ordered are this kind. They also seem to be the most reliable.

I could not find 31mm SMT ones from SuperBrightLights.com, my favorite source.

But, I KNOW I can put the capsule back together with no trouble, as soon as I get a lamp to put into it.

So, until my lamps arrive, I simply cover the holes in the bottom of the mirrors with aluminum tape. You can't even see it unless you get down and look up and it keeps the dirt and crud out of the housing.

Not knowing how the lens and capsule were put together was what stopped me from trying to take it apart. As soon as Jeremy did it and showed what it looked like, I had no problem doing it myself. Thanks, Jeremy!

- Jack
You're welcome!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Moderator &

Good deal...

I actually ordered the 30mm festoons from SBLEDs so, I'll let you know how those work out. I can't imagine them not working *knocks on wood*.

I need to dig up your old puddle lamp thread... these things snap out pretty simplistically, right?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Good deal...

I actually ordered the 30mm festoons from SBLEDs so, I'll let you know how those work out. I can't imagine them not working *knocks on wood*.

I need to dig up your old puddle lamp thread... these things snap out pretty simplistically, right?
The old thread is pretty close to this one now, thanks to Jeremy again for posting in it.

They come out FAIRLY easily. I got mine out with a small, flat blade screwdriver to depress the locking tab. There's kind of a "lip" on the other side though that tends to "hang up". If you play with it long enough, you'll get it out.

Do be careful though. Try to not depress the tab more than you have to. It can break (one of mine did). I was able to repair it with epoxy, though, so it works fine and has since been through two extractions.

I didn't see the 30mm LEDs on SBLEDs. I'll have to go back and look again.

- Jack

Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Moderator &

I think the PN was: Cool White 3022-CWHP2. I hope I didn't order the wrong thing; they've already shipped.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM

I think the PN was: Cool White 3022-CWHP2. I hope I didn't order the wrong thing; they've already shipped.
I also ordered (2) 3022-CW4 from SBLEDS.. Also got (2) 3022-W9 White.. They told me i might not be happy with the brightness of 4 LEDs and i might wanna go 9 so i bought both. We'll see.. Cant wait to get them..

*Also just picked up a set of these just for good measure..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Last edited by tg150; 11-04-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by tg150
I also ordered (2) 3022-CW4 from SBLEDS.. Also got (2) 3022-W9 White.. They told me i might not be happy with the brightness of 4 LEDs and i might wanna go 9 so i bought both. We'll see.. Cant wait to get them..
Hmm... that worries me just a tad.

The ones that I purchased were the 'high power' version. Wonder if I'll be 'happy' with the brightness?

Quick Reply: Puddle Lamps and LED's