Looking for a dog

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
yea, not in a rush to get one, my dad just called me about 30 minutes ago telling me my fj40 was in the garage, so i got a lot of work on that, ill probly start looking to get a dog end of january. but i would like to go and talk to the humane society just to see how things work down their first so i can decide if adoption is something i want to do or if i feel getting a dog from a friend or breeder would be better.
if you adopt from humane society, do you pay for the dog or is it like actual adoption?
You pay an adoption fee that covers their vet bills, etc. Around here, usually less than $100.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, not in a rush to get one, my dad just called me about 30 minutes ago telling me my fj40 was in the garage, so i got a lot of work on that, ill probly start looking to get a dog end of january. but i would like to go and talk to the humane society just to see how things work down their first so i can decide if adoption is something i want to do or if i feel getting a dog from a friend or breeder would be better.
if you adopt from humane society, do you pay for the dog or is it like actual adoption?
Oops - just saw you responded before I did. This ^^^ is great logic. Where I worked you "adopted" the dog for a fee - basically it covers part of the medical bills, food, etc. I think it was $75-100 which is a LOT smaller than actually buying from a breeder imho.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Suspended
ok thats not bad at all. well ill definitely go check out the humane society and see what they have and how they run the place and treat the dogs

on a kinda side note. our greyhound has always been great, my grand pa had a grey hound that they put to sleep about 3 years ago and got another grey hound (which we think is mentally retarted) my grandpa's new dog is much bigger than the other 2. and much more playful and goofy (aka where we get the "special" from) has any one noticed this with other dogs? and both my grandpa's greyhounds came from the same breeder.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Each place is different. Around here, you pay for the shots, and they are yours. Generally $50 or so. You also sign an agreement that makes you 100% liable for all upcoming shots and vet visits. You break the contract, a notice goes out making it harder next time around, for you to get a pup.

Sounds like your going about it right. I love my dog, but it sure is hard finding a place that allows a pitbull, ya know ? Something to think about. But its sweet having him out, walkin the trail next to the Zuk !

Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
ok thats not bad at all. well ill definitely go check out the humane society and see what they have and how they run the place and treat the dogs

on a kinda side note. our greyhound has always been great, my grand pa had a grey hound that they put to sleep about 3 years ago and got another grey hound (which we think is mentally retarted) my grandpa's new dog is much bigger than the other 2. and much more playful and goofy (aka where we get the "special" from) has any one noticed this with other dogs? and both my grandpa's greyhounds came from the same breeder.
They do have "mentally handicap" dogs, but it doesn't sound like the case here. Being around tons of dogs, you see that they all have there own personalities. Each breed has something specific about them, but then each individual dog is different as well. Sounds like the grey hound is just a goof. Some dogs are that way. Goofy and overly playful, sometimes clumsy too ! Its just a dog being themself !

Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Each place is different. Around here, you pay for the shots, and they are yours. Generally $50 or so. You also sign an agreement that makes you 100% liable for all upcoming shots and vet visits. You break the contract, a notice goes out making it harder next time around, for you to get a pup.

Sounds like your going about it right. I love my dog, but it sure is hard finding a place that allows a pitbull, ya know ? Something to think about. But its sweet having him out, walkin the trail next to the Zuk !
yea, thats one thing i would like my dog to be able to do is just follow me while im in the truck if hes not riding in it.

any one know how much neutering is if needed to be done?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm with MercedesTech on mixed breeds being better for filtering out issues. They really seem to be a lot more of a healthy dog. No clue what he is.

Here's my mut Buddy in all his glory,

Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
yea, thats one thing i would like my dog to be able to do is just follow me while im in the truck if hes not riding in it.

any one know how much neutering is if needed to be done?
Unless you are planning on breeding the dogs, neutering or spaying should be done. It eliminates health problems and a variety of cancers, as well. Around here neutering was around $200, but many vets will give price cuts if you can't pay the full amount.

TSC

Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
neutering also depends. There are clinics that will have a "free day". bring your dog in, with proper license, and the deed gets done. I brought Tank to my local vet (his doc) to have it done. To be honest, I don't remember how much it all cost, but wasn't too bad ! Figure a couple hundred will get the first rounds of shots, and the neutering/spaying done.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Around here, most of the rescue groups have the neutering/spaying done before they are adopable. They have vets that work with them for a reduced price.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
That brings up a good point and something else to consider asking your local humane society. I forgot that at a place like ours in addition to the $75-100 you have to have them spayed/nuetered within X amount of months, get their shots updated including rabies and have a general exam done at a vet.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by wrobo23
That brings up a good point and something else to consider asking your local humane society. I forgot that at a place like ours in addition to the $75-100 you have to have them spayed/nuetered within X amount of months, get their shots updated including rabies and have a general exam done at a vet.

Yes, that was part of the contract when Reilly came to us through a rescue group...we had to have him neutered, otherwise the contract was void and the group could take him back---but the group reimbursed us for the neutering.

Tim C.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Suspended
adopting is starting to sound alot better than getting one from a breeder.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
adopting is starting to sound alot better than getting one from a breeder.
yup, generally is.

** another tip I'd offer, since you like wheeling, and want a campin/trail dog, go with SHORT hair. All around easier. Longer the hair, more work you got ahead of you. After 3 years at the kennel, I promised myself no long hair dogs.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 12-15-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Global Moderator &

About the only reasons I can think of for getting a dog from a breeder is if you plan on showing the dog or if you plan on becoming a breeder yourself. There are just too many unwanted but wonderful dogs outhere, otherwise.

Quick Reply: Looking for a dog