Looking for a dog

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a dog

im thinking about getting a dog, not sure on what kind but i like the alaskan klee kai (toy husky) but their expensive as hell. i want a dog thats bigger than a chihuaha but much smaller than a lab. around 12-14" height. open for any suggestions on dogs w/ a reasonable price tag. also parents have a 15 year old miniature grey hound so something that will get along with her. and something playful who likes toys and playing alot

Last edited by 06yz250f; 12-14-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't think you can beat a Rat Terrier, also called an American Fiest. They are extremely intelligent and extremely social. They love their people. Maggie is 17" tall and weighs 17 lbs. Check out some more of them at www.rat-terrier.com

Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
The 2 dogs i have are awesome. Ones a pure bred basset hound(Rookie) which is my favorite, just lounges around until other dogs are around then hes really playful. The other is a pitbull/black lab mix(Tyson). Both are fairly small 60 and 50 pounds respectfully. Id say go with a basset hound but thats only cause its my favorite dog. Picked him up for $695 out the door.

Rookie

Rookie and Tyson

Last edited by jheppner; 12-14-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Suspended
Wow that alaskan klee kai is an awsome looking dog. I really like the wire haired west highland terriers for small dogs. But I like big dogs. We have 2 boxers now. My grandparents are about to get a Shiloh Shepard, and i think we are gonna get a Great Dane.

Do you want a dog with long hair/short hair.

Flat Nose/Long Nose

Long Tail/Cut Tail

Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
A few months ago I bought my wife a short legged Jack Russell Terrier. She is awesome and super smart. Stands about 10" tall and weighs 13 pounds, but she still has a little filling out to do.

Very energetic and playful. She plays with our male Weimerainer like she is as big as him. She will run in the back yard with him playing fetch for as long as you throw the ball. We've figured out if we throw the ball with them for about 20 minutes in the evening she will come in and sack out for the rest of the evening. She is a really cool dog.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
Wow that alaskan klee kai is an awsome looking dog. I really like the wire haired west highland terriers for small dogs. But I like big dogs. We have 2 boxers now. My grandparents are about to get a Shiloh Shepard, and i think we are gonna get a Great Dane.

Do you want a dog with long hair/short hair.

Flat Nose/Long Nose

Long Tail/Cut Tail
hair length isn't an issue, i just don't want a dog with hair down to the floor.
nose, don't matter
depends on the dog about a tail

i want a small dog because i don't think my parents want a huge dog running around the house, and i want something that can sleep in my bed or in my room without stealing the whole bed or taking up half my room. and i have always liked be able to just pick up the dog and sitting in chairs with me

Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by s2krn
A few months ago I bought my wife a short legged Jack Russell Terrier. She is awesome and super smart. Stands about 10" tall and weighs 13 pounds, but she still has a little filling out to do.

Very energetic and playful. She plays with our male Weimerainer like she is as big as him. She will run in the back yard with him playing fetch for as long as you throw the ball. We've figured out if we throw the ball with them for about 20 minutes in the evening she will come in and sack out for the rest of the evening. She is a really cool dog.
that dog looks BA. how much did you pay?

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What ever breed you decide on, check into doing a rescue. There are a lot of people that have given up their dogs due to the economy and you can get a great dog that way. There are rescue groups for just about every breed.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 PM
I have a ****-a-poo. Half ****er spaniel, half poodle.. she stands at about a foot tall, and weighs 25 pounds. She loves attention and is very playful, and we've finally just reached an agreement on how much bed space she can have. She'll be 9 in March, but still acts like she's 3

Old 12-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
that dog looks BA. how much did you pay?
I don't think I have any pics of my dogs since the albums changed over. I'll try to get some up tomorrow. The JR was 600 bucks, but they can be had cheaper than that.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 PM
visit a local shelter and see what they have available, my first dog (siberian Huskey / german shepherd mix) was from a shelter, great dog, great personality, very playful, very friendly. now were on our third siberian husky (2 pure bread huskey) all three are/were excellent dogs. if your on a tight budget the shelter may be perfect

Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
What ever breed you decide on, check into doing a rescue. There are a lot of people that have given up their dogs due to the economy and you can get a great dog that way. There are rescue groups for just about every breed.
i would consider that, but i really want a puppy and know that the dog is healthy and won't have alot of health problems down the road and know that the mother and father have had no issues, or get it and find out that it had been mistreated and not like people. my neighbors rescued a dog and it would attack any body it didn't know and was not nice to other dogs.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jheppner
The 2 dogs i have are awesome. Ones a pure bred basset hound(Rookie) which is my favorite, just lounges around until other dogs are around then hes really playful. The other is a pitbull/black lab mix(Tyson). Both are fairly small 60 and 50 pounds respectfully. Id say go with a basset hound but thats only cause its my favorite dog. Picked him up for $695 out the door.

Rookie

Rookie and Tyson
I want that bassett hound! I had a shot at getting a pure bassett for $150, but just couldn't talk the parents into it...

06yz250f, just get a dachsuand! they are awesome, small, and really good dogs overall! Ive had 3.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We have a rescued Rat Terrier who is a very good dog. Healthy as can be. We also have 2 mini Dachshunds and a Chuhuahua.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Stealth
We have a rescued Rat Terrier who is a very good dog. Healthy as can be. We also have 2 mini Dachshunds and a Chuhuahua.
if i get a dog, its obviously my responsibility, and if the dog is not nice, it has to go, if it doesn't get along with our other dog (mini greyhound) whose 15 (which she can actually beat up my grandpas 2 year old mini greyhound). so i just don't have the chance to risk getting a bad dog. if i get a bad one and have to get rid of it, there will be no other dog as long as i live at home.

dirtyd, i like daschunds alot but a few problems with them. 1) cant jump onto my bed/chairs and 2) don't think they would like trail riding in the 40.

Quick Reply: Looking for a dog