Looking for a dog

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a small dog fan at all, but my family has 2 pugs, and we love em to death. Contrary to what Zeeka said, we got our first pug cause we liked the way she looked... Turned out to be a great thing though. They're very loving dogs and both have been great with kids. Very smart too. They love attention and to cuddle.

This is our pupppy... And he's huge. Probably weighs about 30lbs. Little over a year old. Picked him up almost a year ago exactly.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
West Highland White Terrier.

My Argyll Seamus is awesome. Wicked smart.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM
A Boxer might be a little big for what you are looking for but they are excellent dogs. That's all we have ever had in my family and they are a breeze to train because they are so emotional and get their feelings hurt if you look at them wrong.

Boxers rule!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Suspended
One more vote for the Basset..

Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ZEEKA
Whatever you do DO NOT pick a dog because thats the type of dog you always wanted or because it looks cool. You need to do some research first. You need to find a dog that will fit not only your lifestyle but one in which you be able to fit his lifestyle. If your just gonna sit around the house all day and not do jack sh@t, then a lab, boxer, or any other high energy breeds that need 3 hours + of exercise a day aren't gonna cut it. Your only short changing them and they will in turn destroy your house because of boredom. On the other hand don't get a Baset Hound if you plan on going on marathon runs with him everyday, you'll kill him! Every dog is not the same, they all require different needs. If those needs aren't met properly, thats what couses "bad" dogs.

Its a process of elimination, find out what you want to do with your dog, and that will determine what type of dog suits your lifestyle. In the end you will both be happier!
i have been looking for dogs i like the looks of first, then i have been reading how they act, whats good for them and what not.

the reason i dont think a daschund would be good is because excessive jumping can cause back problems. and i want it to get onto furniture to sit and roam around my vehicles on their own with out worrying.

problem with a lab is to big, parents would not be happy if i had a dog that big and our other dog would not like it. i really want a dog that gets along with her, because she is old but she does get along with anything, i think lab is just to big for my needs.

and as for pugs, i hate pugs (no offense to anyone who likes them), my cousin had one and i just didn't like it

my top choice is still a husky, i just think a husky is a tad to big, and the alaskan klee kai is WAY to expensive.

heres some things i NEED in a dog:
1) obediant
2) playful (one thing our greyhound never was that much into)
3) able to be inside without destroying furniture or pissing (we have a dog door going outside)
4) gets along with the mini greyhound we have
5) likes to ride in vehicles
6) won't run away if off a leash (our GH we were never able to trust)

Last edited by 06yz250f; 12-15-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The lower the better.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Suspended
stealth, how do they do in vehicles? can they jump at all? im just afraid of back problems later down the road.

the more i think about it the more i am thinking bigger dog. still lab size is to big.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM
got me a pit. Awesome dog. Loyal as can be. Decent size, 75 lbs, about knee high or so. Perfect sized dog IMO. Easy to take care of (super short hair is KEY). Good campin dog, and loves to go wheelin ! I worked at a dog kennel for over 3 years, and many of the "bully breeds" make for the best pet. Some of the smartest dogs out there ! I will always stick with em.

easily my best friend.

Another route I would highly suggest, is heading down to a local animal shelter. there are plenty of GREAT dogs out there, waiting and hoping for a good home. You would be finding a great dog, as well as posibly saving it's life. Also, mutts have FAR less health problems, and are almost always a well behaved, healthy dog. Price wise, a mutt is your best bet.

(even awesome pitbulls and boxers are known for their skin problems. english bull dogs have nothing but issues later in life. many breeds are known for a certain problem. Make sure to do plenty of homework before buying !!! )

Last edited by MercedesTech; 12-15-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
stealth, how do they do in vehicles? can they jump at all? im just afraid of back problems later down the road.

the more i think about it the more i am thinking bigger dog. still lab size is to big.
The full sized ones are the ones that have most of the back problems. Mine are miniature, very athletic, no fat on them at all. They are both jumpers, but we keep them from jumping off anything too high to sort of prevent any back issues.

They are young though, black and tan is three and the light red one is a year. Perfect loafing lap dogs too, once they get their energy burst out.

The black and tan one loves to track squirrels. It's very fun to watch. He tries so hard to get into the tree when a squirrel is camped out up there. I really need to get a good video of it.

The light red one loves to play fight with the black and tan and steal the other dog's bones. He thinks the hallway is his room, leaves all the chew toys and bones in there after a heist.

Gotta give props to my childhood breed, the German Shepherd. Very smart, loyal, and hard working breed, and just like the Dachshund in that respect. Both have keen senses of smell and are very curious of sounds at the door, which makes for good protection.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
my top choice is still a husky, i just think a husky is a tad to big, and the alaskan klee kai is WAY to expensive.
If a lab is too big, a husky is going to be waaaay too big as well. Any full-grown husky that I've saw is def. bigger than most labs.

I agree that looking at a local humane society is the way to go. It sounds like you are looking for a buddy - one that'll play with you, ride in teh truck with you, and cuddle up with you at night when you want - most humane society animals are just BEGGING for attention and love. In almost all cases I've saw it's been a perfect match and the owner couldn't ask for better. Just a thought.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Stealth
The full sized ones are the ones that have most of the back problems. Mine are miniature, very athletic, no fat on them at all. They are both jumpers, but we keep them from jumping off anything too high to sort of prevent any back issues.

They are young though, black and tan is three and the light red one is a year. Perfect loafing lap dogs too, once they get their energy burst out.

The black and tan one loves to track squirrels. It's very fun to watch. He tries so hard to get into the tree when a squirrel is camped out up there. I really need to get a good video of it.

The light red one loves to play fight with the black and tan and steal the other dog's bones. He thinks the hallway is his room, leaves all the chew toys and bones in there after a heist.

Gotta give props to my childhood breed, the German Shepherd. Very smart, loyal, and hard working breed, and just like the Dachshund in that respect. Both have keen senses of smell and are very curious of sounds at the door, which makes for good protection.
how high are they able to jump? our furniture is about 2-2 1/2 feet high. don't have a problem letting them down, just dont wanna have to pick the dog up to put him in bed while im sleeping at night.

our greyhound when she was younger used to chase squirrels it was bad ***. she would see one out the window, run to her doggy door, slowly creep out, creep into the grass and get close and then haul *** at it. never got one tho but it was fun to watch.once we moved from texas to pennsylvania and didn't have many squirrels she stopped doing it and has not done it since

Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
I can't wait until spring / summer as that will be when we will get our first dog - we have been looking for a good couple years and have decided on a German Shepherd. They are EXTREMELY inelligent and loyal - but, again, one of those "working" dogs that require a lot of "play time".

Sorry to interject - just wanted to add that

Old 12-15-2008, 03:41 PM

Corgi. Buddy of mine has one and she's a great dog, if you're looking for one that small.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Suspended
kinda like a wiener dog. im sure it has back problems as well. thats just what im afraid off with that kind of dog.

anybody have recommendations of dogs around 12-16" high.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Pugs are cool, great personality, but my vote will have to go for the Chinese Shar-Pei.

Quick Reply: Looking for a dog