2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would you order the tailgate step for your new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you order the tailgate step for your new truck?

I'm leaning towards no. Those of you that have it, is it worth it?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Old folks and people with kids like them. I personally can't justify 400 bucks on a tailgate step. But I am 33 and can jump over the side of the bed and not cry. I'd rather spend the money on a backup camera or drivers pkg.
Or bed cover or tint or lift level kit and align, etc etc...

Last edited by L8 APEX; 04-25-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I got it happily. Seems well worth it for my use.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I ordered my truck so I could get exactly what I wanted and the man step was NOT one of the options I ordered.

In the time it takes to pull the step out and pop the handrail into position I can get into the bed of my truck and back out again with absolutely no problem and I'm 62 years old but I must admit to liking the power running boards on the Platinum. Like my brother said when he first saw my truck; they would come in handy if I ever wore a dress.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:51 PM
I have it and love it! I never use the pop-up handle, but I use the step all the time and it only takes a couple seconds to deploy.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Thumbs up

Yes. Unless you never use your bed. I don't use mine often, but anything that makes life easier is well worth it, especially for such an inexpensive option. I'm a young guy w/no problem getting in there, but still laugh at those who scoff at it, and can only imagine it's cause they don't have one. Just because you don't have something doesn't mean you should immediately make fun of it or call it useless just to try and convince yourself it wasn't something you wanted or would actually use. Calling it all types of names, etc... what a tiresome bore. That's like calling a truck with power windows a girlie truck because it makes it more convienent but less manly. Gimme a break. Get it unless money is a major concern, very handy and very inexpensive.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
I use it all the time.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
My dad gets a demo through work and he had one on his last few. On the one he has now it's not there and I kind of miss it. You get used to it being there

Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 AM

I dont have the tailgate step, but i have those side fold out steps, and i can honestly say i love them. They come in real handy to get stuff out of the bed, washing etc.

As far as the tailgate step, i would like one, but you need a whole new tailgate, you cant just add one to your current one. I wouldnt use the midget stripper pole though.

I would like to add i have a 6in lift and i can still step straight onto the corners of the bumper with the tailgate down to get into my bed.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm undecided. I just got an F150 about almost two weeks ago and the truck came with one. At first, when I saw it on commercials and when I picked the truck up, I thought it was a little gimmicky. However, now that I've had the truck for a little while, it's not altogether that bad of an option. I can see where it might come in handy sometime.

On the other hand, the flip up handle is the most gaudy thing in the world. I actually use my truck so having that handle there is kind of a pain in the butt. I haul drywall that rests on or sticks out past the tailgate and having that handle there make it so nothing lays flat. I'll probably be taking the handle off soon. I think I read somewhere that Ford sells a filler panel for the tailgate for taking it off.

All in all, if you are debating on ordering your truck with one, then do it. You probably won't hate it. It has the potential to be a handy little device.

Just my $.02.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 AM
I've got both the man step and side bed access steps. Didn't order them but glad to have them. If you've got a toolbox up by the cab, the bed access steps let you see all the way into the bottom of it.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
I dont have the tailgate step, but i have those side fold out steps, and i can honestly say i love them. They come in real handy to get stuff out of the bed, washing etc.

As far as the tailgate step, i would like one, but you need a whole new tailgate, you cant just add one to your current one. I wouldnt use the midget stripper pole though.
I have both the side box steps and the tailgate step, and use them both when unloading after trips to the feed store. Both are very convenient.

I didn't get a midget stripper with mine, though. I wonder if the dealer kept her as part of the dealer holdback? I'll call them today!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 AM
i use it all the time, with the truck sitting so high in the back, it saves the shins jumping up into the box.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have and use both.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 AM
I set out intending not to get the bed steps or the man step. I did not order my truck and when all was said and done the truck I selected has both and I use both all the time. I can jump up on the tailgate easily and sometimes do, but it is nice to have the option. I don't use the stripper pole and wish it gone, but the steps are both very nice. I'm only getting older and figure I'll appreciate them more as time goes by.

Quick Reply: Would you order the tailgate step for your new truck?