2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would you order the tailgate step for your new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It happened to be on the truck I wanted so I have it. My 7 year old son definately likes it and I've actually found myself using it.

It also make a great conversation piece.

-Jeff

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM
i kinda wish my truck had it, but not the goofy lookin handle...but, i can't miss it if i never had it so i'll live with getting into the bed the old fashioned way....

Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Definitely. Great option.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I have one and requested it. It was actually a must have for me. I had a Chevy Avalanche that had one built into the bumper corners. I loved it. I also had an amp research bumper step added to my work truck. The kind you kick down into place. That was great but i had no real handle.

My two cents says it is way worth it. BTW i am proud to use the man step! All 6'7" 305lbs of me.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM
I think the step has its advantages, but warn you on one disadvantage. If you plan on putting a removable hard bed cover on the bakc, there may be leaking. I'm not talking about the big fiberglass covers. I mean the Bakflips, rollbaks, rollnlocks, etc. The covers don't cover the top of the tailgate completely and the step allows water to seep in. That is the main reason I made sure to get a truck without one.

That said, I've had numerous times already where I wished I had one. The bed is kind of high, and on days when your back or legs are sore, it sure would be nice to have.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 AM
I have it, and made fun of them before I got it, and now think I would hate to NOT have it.

I also have a Bakflip F1, and SO FAR, no water in the bed.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
It should be one of those things that comes on every truck! It is so easy to use

Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by gatkins94
I have it, and made fun of them before I got it, and now think I would hate to NOT have it.
That's how I once looked at the "bed" steps.

Those along with the "manly" step makes it the easiest truck to access the bed.

Wouldn't have a truck without either, now.

And any time I deploy the manly step, I flip up the handle.

One day you younger guys will, too.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I have both steps on my new truck and like them. The trucks are much taller and the beds much deeper than they used to be, so the step really helps.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Suspended
i hate it. all i do is trip over the damn thing any time i'm getting in and out the bed of my dad's f250 loading stuff in. was very happy that my f150 did not have that.

edit: do the f150's not have the handle?

either way, if i have a load in my arms their is no way i'm using that step and losing my balance, i'd much rather set it on the tail gate and then jump up and put it where it needs to be.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by mete
AMP Research Bed Step - that's the one I was thinking of .Mounts on the corner of the bumper .Folds out when needed and can be used with gate open or closed.
That's the one I have. I think it's more functional than the OEM step. Don't need any hands to deploy either!

bedstep

Old 04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Ha, mine came with it and I am 35 and use it. Makes it easy to get in and out but I do feel a bit girly when I use it. :o

Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM
I've got both the step and the handle on my Plat. I use the step more than I do the handle, but that is just because my Bedrug covers the handle. Once I cut the Bedrug to allow the handle to be accessible, I'm sure I will use it every time I deploy the step.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
After my 08 Superduty, it's a must have. I've had tundra and chebbie owners ask about it at home depot or wherever I was using it. They all wished theirs had it. I'm 34 and could give a rats a zz what people think of it or me using it. If rolling and ankle or wearing out your knees is manly, count me out. My job depends on my legs and me being mobile. The step helps maintain that. I never used the pole either, just the step.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Location: Molino, FL / Camp Frontenac (Shah Wali Kowt), Afghanistan
For the 10 days I was able to drive/use my truck when I was hom in February on R&R, I used my truck as a "truck" four times and each time I appreciated having that step...and I appreciated that handle as well...it came in very handy. I wish I could have gotten the side steps as well (to better look into my tool box from the sides) but it wasn't an option with the 5.5 foot bed.

I would definitely get it again, and my wife and son have both used it while I have been gone and said the appreciate it being there to use as well.

I'm 58 and don't give a crap whether someone else doesn't care for it or not, if you don't want it...don't buy one with it, but if you do you may find yourself using it more than you think. It definitely makes life easier on your knees.

Dennis

76 dtg Dubai
77 dtg Home for good!

Quick Reply: Would you order the tailgate step for your new truck?