2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou3
Excuses!! I have had power windows on trucks and cars for 20 years now (my 1994 Toyota Tacoma) and never had a problem, in fact, I had a 1987 Honda that I sold at 276,000 miles with no power window problems ever. I just gave my 1995 Mitsubishi Diamanti to my dad-in-law and it never has had any power window problems even at 216,000 miles. Oh, and my 1998 Mitsubhishi Montero with 151,000 miles on it does not have any power window problems either. Yet, my 2004 Ford F-150 with only 19,632 miles on it has window regulator problems. This is unacceptable on a darn near 40K truck (which I am still making payments on for one more year). Come on, why stick up for this truck? If American automakers are going to compete, they have to produce quality vehicles. This is NOT quality. Blind devotion to a particular brand is no substitue for rational logic. The Tundra may indeed have problems, I don't know since I did not buy one. However, Ford has been making their trucks forever and should have it down by now. By the way, my first car in my life was an old 1959 Ford F-100 that I bought for $900 right before my Senior year in High School back in 1984. Now that was a great truck! It was my fond memories of that truck that led me to buy my current truck the year before my High School 20 year reunion. I guess I am a sucker for sentimentality. I don't wish to get into a pee-pee match with anyone but I am going to call a spade a spade when I see one.
Boy, talk about being stuck in the past! I'm not talking about how things were built 10, 15 or 20 years ago, I'm talking about the here and now. When it comes to the manufacturers trying to save money, things like window regulators are one of the first places they'll do it. As I've already said, on TODAY'S vehicles it's not a problem you'll get away from.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Thumbs up Good and Reliable for Me

2004 XLT Screw 4x4 117,000 Miles
2" Leveling Kit
Firestone Air Bags
33x12.50R17 Mastercraft Courser C/T(Getting Ready for Second Set first set has 60k miles on them and not even close to bald great tires!!)

-Change brake pads often but I tow heavy trailers(4k-8k lbs) a lot
-New Rotors @ 99k
-Started Clunking recently when I let off the gas and coast then get back on the throttle. From what i read here i need to get the slip yoke lubed.( If anyone has another solution please let me know)
-Has a rough idle periodicaly
-Gets an avg mpg of 14( better than 8-10mpg from my old 01 F250 SD ext cab W/ v10 which is still in my fleet @275k)

All around i am very pleased with the truck. I am a contractor and i don't baby this truck one bit. I plan on driving it until about 200-250k. It still drives great and pulls great for a 1/2 ton. I drive a lot and the truck has never let me down. I have 80 gal of diesel and 3full tool boxes in bed and its no mustang but has plenty of get up and go when i need it.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 STX, bought it with 28K Jan 2007, now have 65,000 on it

-2 New cowl panels, never fixed, had to drill hole and put screw in
-Leaking conduit under hood leaking water into cab, fried fusebox and pad under carpet, was not found by one dealer, had to take it to another
-Leaking 3rd brake light
-faulty elbow on a/c condenser, leaked water all over floor when a/c was on
-2 ball joints
-2 sets of rotors and carquest blue pads
-aftermarket thermostat installed by dealer led to a 3 week fiasco with overheating, but got 2 free coolant flushes, a tranny flush, and my a/c recharged for free
-Faulty Airbag sensor---$300 was not happy

besides those simple problems I love the truck, no rattles or anything, runs and drives great, ive gotten as good as 20mpg on the highway too with a leveler and 33's

Old 08-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Excuses!! I have had power windows on trucks and cars for 20 years now (my 1994 Toyota Tacoma) and never had a problem, in fact, I had a 1987 Honda that I sold at 276,000 miles with no power window problems ever. I just gave my 1995 Mitsubishi Diamanti to my dad-in-law and it never has had any power window problems even at 216,000 miles. Oh, and my 1998 Mitsubhishi Montero with 151,000 miles on it does not have any power window problems either. Yet, my 2004 Ford F-150 with only 19,632 miles on it has window regulator problems. This is unacceptable on a darn near 40K truck (which I am still making payments on for one more year). Come on, why stick up for this truck? If American automakers are going to compete, they have to produce quality vehicles. This is NOT quality. Blind devotion to a particular brand is no substitue for rational logic. The Tundra may indeed have problems, I don't know since I did not buy one. However, Ford has been making their trucks forever and should have it down by now. By the way, my first car in my life was an old 1959 Ford F-100 that I bought for $900 right before my Senior year in High School back in 1984. Now that was a great truck! It was my fond memories of that truck that led me to buy my current truck the year before my High School 20 year reunion. I guess I am a sucker for sentimentality. I don't wish to get into a pee-pee match with anyone but I am going to call a spade a spade when I see one.
There is a reason the lemon law came into being... perhaps you got a lemon.
I own the same year truck as yours and the worst thing so far has been a stripped oil plug caused by the dealer...
GG

Old 08-30-2008, 05:51 PM
My father had a 1986 Continental with 376,000 miles, no power window problems, no engine problems, basically no problems at all. He now drives a 1994 Grand Marquis, it's had zero repairs, just maintenance and wear items, it's got 220,000 on it and still gets 29 MPG on the highway. My 2000 Taurus has had a squeaky CAM sensor in it's eight year life, that's it, The 93 Ranger I owned prior to my F150 was 11 years old with 120k on it when I got rid of it, still had the original hoses, belt and battery when I traded it. That winter saw a week of -14 degree mornings, and that battery started that Ranger every day.. Didn't put a nickel in it for the first eight years. I know people with Toyotas and Hondas that have problems. My ex-wife got rid of the 88 Couger I gave her because it had an incurable, intermittent rolling idle. She traded it for a Camry, which ended up with (hold on) an incurable, intermittent rolling idle. Basically, they all make good vehicles, with a few mistakes in the mix, and they all have good and bad dealers. Just because you got a bad F150 doesn't make them all bad, mine is fine.

This is an F-150 forum, were you expecting people here that do not love their trucks?

Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Traded in my 04 FX4 last month. I put on 59,000 relatively problem free miles. The only problem encountered during that time was a problem with the parking brake not releasing properly. Other than oil changes and a new set of tires, I didn't spend any money on any maintenance or repair items.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Mines holdin up great after 52,500 miles
I just put the lift on at 50,000 miles

Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Even with the horrid engine whine and numerous rattles, my '04 still runs and looks great. I'll be keeping mine another 3(2012)-5(2014) years I would guess, long enough for Ford to actually do a full redesign again.

I have to say my '97 was built much better than my '04, but alas I was tempted by the redesign in 2004. That's probably one really great thing about the major refresh for '09, those things will most likely have few problems as most of them have been ironed out over the past 5 years. Even still, my '04 still is going very strong. It scares me when I hear some people say they need to trade their '04+ for the refresh. In 5 years your '04 F-150 is falling apart? Now that's scary, and very hard to believe.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:01 AM
Bought end of April 2004, driven daily but only have 32k miles right now (short 3 mile work commute). No major problems. A few minor things to mention:

-front brake pads changed at 500 miles due to too much dust, replaced with Porterfields, still have half pad left on them.
-rear brake pads only lasted 16k miles, replaced with Porterfields
-serpentine belt replaced under warranty at 3k miles due to squeal. Squeal returned at 28k miles and I fixed it for good hopefully with a Gatorback belt.
-limited slip rear clutch packs replaced under warranty due to shuddering
-driver's window button light went out and replaced under warranty. Then the new switch later started to go bad as the window wouldn't go up without pressing the button several times, so I replaced the switch again myself.
-crappy factory BFG 18" tires lasted 16k miles and replaced for free under warranty. Then same tires were almost worn again @28k miles! I'm now running the Wrangler ATS LT tires
-now after 4 years my black rectangular step bars are showing signs of rusting so I might replace them

Still on original battery (knock on wood!)

Was thinking about getting an 09 but I'm going to wait until the Ecoboost V6 comes out and see at that time.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 08-31-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 XLT Supercab, bought it at 61k, currently going on 66k, unaware of its history but its a very nice quality truck. Built 4/2004 in the Virginia Plant. Only annoying things are the occasional coasting squeal, and the diesel sound at idle from under the hood.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Even with the horrid engine whine and numerous rattles, my '04 still runs and looks great. I'll be keeping mine another 3(2012)-5(2014) years I would guess, long enough for Ford to actually do a full redesign again.

I have to say my '97 was built much better than my '04, but alas I was tempted by the redesign in 2004. That's probably one really great thing about the major refresh for '09, those things will most likely have few problems as most of them have been ironed out over the past 5 years. Even still, my '04 still is going very strong. It scares me when I hear some people say they need to trade their '04+ for the refresh. In 5 years your '04 F-150 is falling apart? Now that's scary, and very hard to believe.
I would guess that the majority of those people say they need to replace their '04's mostly because they're the type of people that always want to have the newest and greatest thing, not because the trucks are falling apart.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
i love my 04 havnt hit 40k miles

Old 09-01-2008, 04:46 AM
Just about 58000 miles on a 2004. Problems I've had are and fix are...

-Front brake pads / Rotors ( Took forever, to change out by the way)
-Driver's window motor broke
-Starter / Fly Wheel
-Battery

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
75k miles and nothing but brakes, tires and drivers window regulator. It's a keeper. Need more power, my 91 would out pull it all day.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 AM
I am thrilled with my truck, now at 82K. I'm the original owner not really any engine or body mods, still mud and sand the truck a few times a month to make it work. Here are the larger problems I have encountered:

-Leaking 3rd brake light, fixed under warranty
-Shifter cap chrome piece came off, fixed under warranty. Just recently came off again
-New Rotors and Pads for Front after 50K mostly preventative and due to the brake dust problems
-4x4 vacuum solenoid fried ($30 part); read numerous posts on here AFTER major problem occurred with front hubs, so I had to repair one hub and replace one. New vacuum solenoid has a “rain cap” on it and comes stock on all newer models. Should’ve been a TSB or recall to replace these years ago and I would have never had the hub problem!
-Fuel Filler Door broke, plastic hinges, still not replaced yet
-Took the truck to an A/C shop yesterday, I think my compressor is going out so that sucks.
-Also the leather has not held up that well in the front seats, backseat is fine.

Besides that I am all over buying another one after this one is run into the ground (hoping to make it past 150K).

Brad

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?