'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60k and mine runs perfect

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
What the heck??? There's something supposed to light up and tell you if you're in D, R, 1, 2, etc??? Where the heck is that supposed to be? I've always wondered why at night you can't tell what gear you're in. Maybe mine never worked from Day 1? I'd love to see this gauge in a pic so I can believe it exists. Damn, that is whack. I knew Ford couldn't be that forgetful.
I believe he means the light that comes on with the headlights to illuminate the gear positions at night.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
I believe he means the light that comes on with the headlights to illuminate the gear positions at night.
I'm trying to recall if I ever saw that in mine. Maybe it's always been broken? Are the numbers next to the center console shifter supposed to light up? Cause mine don't. Or is there supposed to be something in the dash display that's supposed to be there? I always thought it was weird that Ford would design a truck with no way to tell what gear you're in at night. Maybe mine's been busted since the factory delivery to me on day 1.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm trying to recall if I ever saw that in mine. Maybe it's always been broken? Are the numbers next to the center console shifter supposed to light up? Cause mine don't. Or is there supposed to be something in the dash display that's supposed to be there? I always thought it was weird that Ford would design a truck with no way to tell what gear you're in at night. Maybe mine's been busted since the factory delivery to me on day 1.
There's nothing on the dash to show what gear your in unless you have a column shifter. The floor shifter has a light that illuminates with the dash lights to show the gear positions. I would say the bulb in yours has been burnt out or even missing since you got it.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I have almost 62K, and no major problems yet.

Minor problems...

I have the burnt out LED on one of the window operator buttons that it seems many people have.

I had the problem of my power rear window not operating for awhile, but the day I saw some rain water dripping INSIDE by the rear center window, I pulled the 3rd brake light, changed out the puny stock gasket with some serious weatherstripping, and haven't had any problems with the window or leaking since.

I have the "ghost whine" still when it's colder than say, 35F, and the rpm's are between 1500 and 1650. Never have heard of anyone being able to solve that one. Coincidentally, our new 08 F350's at work with the V10 has the same noise in the cold.

Otherwise, this has been a FANTASTIC truck. It's a good thing too, because I really don't care for the new front ends on the 09s. If my 04 craps on me during the life of the new body style, I will either replace the motor completely in the 04, or buy the new style Dodge with a diesel. I'm not much on Dodge, but I really think they have the best looker now, and you can't go wrong with the Cummins.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 AM
What the heck??? There's something supposed to light up and tell you if you're in D, R, 1, 2, etc??? Where the heck is that supposed to be? I've always wondered why at night you can't tell what gear you're in. Maybe mine never worked from Day 1? I'd love to see this gauge in a pic so I can believe it exists. Damn, that is whack. I knew Ford couldn't be that forgetful.
ya... the same thing happened to me... the light went out and i could not remember if it had a light in the first place.... i figured it HAD to so i took it in and they put a new light bulb in........

Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Tylus
why? having parts in stock apparently means bad QA

your truck is about 3, but more likely 4 yrs old, that area is commonly subjected to rain and is probably the most commonly used set of switches on any vehicle besides the radio button...
Actually its a couple months shy of being 3 years old.....

I can only compare it to previous new vehicles that i bought before as they never had either of those 2 problems or as many total problems....

96 Honda Civic 2 Door (New - 60,000 miles) Exactly 1 warranty repair, one of the headlights was allowing condensation to get in it.....

2000 Nissan Xterra (New - 100,000 miles) Exactly 1 warranty repair, replaced top plastic basket that sits on top of the sun roof due to excessive wind noise.

2005 Ford F-150 (New - Now (56,000 Miles)
* Slip yoke replaced due to clunk/kick during shifting from 1st to 2nd
* Read power slider window adjusted due to rattling (still a problem)
* Bumping coming from roof, some foam block inserted
* Right driver side window pilar plastic replaced due to warping
* Side F-150 badges replaced due to black paint falling off
* Famous steering wheel nimble problem (still a problem)
* High beam went out, not the lights but the switch that turns them on
* Driver Door adjusted as it woud catch intermittanly when openeing it
* Floor shifter lights went out
* Driver window controls went out
* Now this injector 7 year exteneded warranty
* there were a few more i can't even remember.......

I mean, thats ALL i have to compare this vehicle with, the ones i had previously.. this is my first Truck, first Ford and first V8 vehicle......I can say my next vehicle won't be a Ford although i'm not saying i'll never give them another whirl down the line......just too many headaches... what a pain dropping your truck off and having to pick it up after work, getting a ride to and from and also for lunch with buddies etc... it's an all around pain in the **** to have to take a vehicle in for work, i'd rather do it less often.... which was what i was used to with my previous 2 vehicles....

Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 AM
I recieved it in Oct 2003. I have 19644 miles and no problems yet or any paint damage either.... When I wash and wax it looks brand new still... I really Enjoy it... no regrets I know I made the right choice... GG

Last edited by greggeo; 02-15-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 AM
67,000 Miles. Lariat 4x4 Supercab. Doing very well. Only real problem is the AC vents don't work right all the time. The flaps inside the blower box are getting stuck sometimes. Other than that, no problems I can think of. Still looks great and runs great.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys. Thought I was going nuts thinking there should be a light to show the gears somewhere. I can't recall if mine ever lit up, perhaps it has always been busted since I got it or perhaps they plain forgot to put a bulb in there when they built it for me. Oh well, here's hoping I can get an '09. If not, someday I'll take her in for the engine whine and bulb (gears & driver's side). Maybe for the rear slider too, it only works once or twice a year. Won't do anything until I decide if I want to take the financial plunge on an '09 or not, prob sometime in May I guess by then I'll make up my mind.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 AM
2004 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4, purchased in 8/04, now has 19,654 miles.

*Replaced 3rd Brake Light, 5 weeks ago, out of warranty, new one started leaking 1 week ago (waste of $85), so I put epoxy around it to seal it up. A common problem according to my Ford dealer service rep.

*Just replaced the Drivers side front Window regulator myself today ($154.00 part). Dealer wanted $365 to fix it. Out of warranty. I understand that the rest will be failing in short order according to what I have read.

*Truck has been making an occasional grinding noise for the last 6 months but goes away if I turn the 4x4 selector on and then off. Not good im sure!

Folks, Ive owned Toyota's, Honda's, Mitsubishi's, and one Subaru, and have never seen such poor quality in a vehicle. Ford should be ashamed, and yet they fail to stand behind their product when it is obvious that there are some common defects to these trucks. I don't want to offend, but some of you folks sound like Ford 'moonies' in your devotion to this flawed vehicle. Yes, it is an attractive looking truck however, I wish I had bought a Tundra back when I had the chance. I won't make that mistake again. Ford Quality...., Right.....

Old 08-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Bought mine new in 8/04 and it's been to the dealership once when i drivers side window motor went out

other than that..no problems at all

it's got 68k on it

edit, my f-150 emblem on my fender did fly off on me..only a $20 fix though lol

Last edited by hackyzac; 08-30-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lou3
2004 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4, purchased in 8/04, now has 19,654 miles.

*Replaced 3rd Brake Light, 5 weeks ago, out of warranty, new one started leaking 1 week ago (waste of $85), so I put epoxy around it to seal it up. A common problem according to my Ford dealer service rep.

*Just replaced the Drivers side front Window regulator myself today ($154.00 part). Dealer wanted $365 to fix it. Out of warranty. I understand that the rest will be failing in short order according to what I have read.

*Truck has been making an occasional grinding noise for the last 6 months but goes away if I turn the 4x4 selector on and then off. Not good im sure!

Folks, Ive owned Toyota's, Honda's, Mitsubishi's, and one Subaru, and have never seen such poor quality in a vehicle. Ford should be ashamed, and yet they fail to stand behind their product when it is obvious that there are some common defects to these trucks. I don't want to offend, but some of you folks sound like Ford 'moonies' in your devotion to this flawed vehicle. Yes, it is an attractive looking truck however, I wish I had bought a Tundra back when I had the chance. I won't make that mistake again. Ford Quality...., Right.....
I don't want to turn this into a Tundra bashing thing because this thread has been going along pretty well. It kind of gets forgotten for awhile then it pops back up with some fresh info, then disappears again only to resurface a few months later.

Seriously though, have you read/heard about any of the quality issues with the Tundra? That truck has been coming apart at the seams since the first one left the factory. The first run of Tundras had camshaft problems, paint issues and dashes that were fading badly in the sun after only a few months, not to mention the tailgates that were/are buckling under as little as 200 lbs. More recently there's been driveline and differential issues. The worst part of the tailgate problem was Toyota wouldn't stand behind it. They were telling the owners that it was normal and to avoid putting anything heavy on the tailgate. That may have changed now, I don't know since I don't follow Toyota news (why would I?). You think the F150 is a poorly built truck? Please.

If I understand correctly, you've had three issues come up with your Ford recently and that makes it a lousy truck. The problem with the 3rd brake light I'll give you, Ford could design a better seal to fix it for good, with the amount of trucks leaking water it should be done. Every manufacturer uses similar window regulators, it's one of those areas where they all try to save money. So it's not a problem you'll get away from no matter what truck you own. The noise from the front hubs is an issue that's common to any vehicle that uses a shift on the fly 4x4 system. The only solution is to replace it with something aftermarket, or convert it to manual.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:20 PM
90k Miles on mine, and other than gears that i have had done to the truck, Nothing factory has screwed up except the power window/door locks driverside will not illuminate at night.

Other than that.... trucks been a great investment, and we'll be in the family for a long time! I love my truck!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Every manufacturer uses similar window regulators, it's one of those areas where they all try to save money. So it's not a problem you'll get away from no matter what truck you own. The noise from the front hubs is an issue that's common to any vehicle that uses a shift on the fly 4x4 system. The only solution is to replace it with something aftermarket, or convert it to manual.

Excuses!! I have had power windows on trucks and cars for 20 years now (my 1994 Toyota Tacoma) and never had a problem, in fact, I had a 1987 Honda that I sold at 276,000 miles with no power window problems ever. I just gave my 1995 Mitsubishi Diamanti to my dad-in-law and it never has had any power window problems even at 216,000 miles. Oh, and my 1998 Mitsubhishi Montero with 151,000 miles on it does not have any power window problems either. Yet, my 2004 Ford F-150 with only 19,632 miles on it has window regulator problems. This is unacceptable on a darn near 40K truck (which I am still making payments on for one more year). Come on, why stick up for this truck? If American automakers are going to compete, they have to produce quality vehicles. This is NOT quality. Blind devotion to a particular brand is no substitue for rational logic. The Tundra may indeed have problems, I don't know since I did not buy one. However, Ford has been making their trucks forever and should have it down by now. By the way, my first car in my life was an old 1959 Ford F-100 that I bought for $900 right before my Senior year in High School back in 1984. Now that was a great truck! It was my fond memories of that truck that led me to buy my current truck the year before my High School 20 year reunion. I guess I am a sucker for sentimentality. I don't wish to get into a pee-pee match with anyone but I am going to call a spade a spade when I see one.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?