2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Don't be scared off by the stuff your reading here. Your F150 is built rock solid and will give many years of service. Anything mass produced will have issues, the majority of which are typically minor stuff that can be easily fixed. I was concerned about my warranty running out last July because of all the things that were fixed on Ford's dime. I have to say that all the quirks are fixed and my '04 hasn't been in for anything more then oil changes during the last 7 months. Drive your F150 with confidence and use it for what it was intended. It'll take whatever you dish out and come back for more.
Not me, man, I don't scare easy.

I love the truck so far, and all of the quirks mentioned above don't really sound as bad as Chryslers I've had over the years. I could go on for days about the Jeep I just traded in, but why bother? It's gone, and that's that.

Glad to be back driving a Ford. In the past I've had a Ford Aerostar and a Mercury Sable LS. Both were excellent vehicles, I'm not sure why I didn't stick with Ford.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Gray Bear
Not me, man, I don't scare easy.

I love the truck so far, and all of the quirks mentioned above don't really sound as bad as Chryslers I've had over the years. I could go on for days about the Jeep I just traded in, but why bother? It's gone, and that's that.

Glad to be back driving a Ford. In the past I've had a Ford Aerostar and a Mercury Sable LS. Both were excellent vehicles, I'm not sure why I didn't stick with Ford.
Good stuff! Now go thrash that Ford!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Mine is holding up strong! I've had a lot of vehicles in my lifetime never really held on to anything more than 2 years but I fell in love with my 04 FX4 and still drive it today

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
45000 miles and my left rear brake caliper needed replaced a week ago. Other than that it's been pretty solid.

mikebaby

Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi, I just read all 12 pages. A lot of info on things I'll keep an eye out for.
Overall, I love my truck, handles great, decent power, great breaking ability, looks great.
My only issue i'm scared about is the vibration that I have.
Only vibrates at 3k and above rpms, like if i'm at a stop and punch it, or go to pass someone, and it shakes pretty violently. The shop I brought it to said it's normal. Well, it may be normal for Fords but I don't think it's "normal" in general, and I feel something is def wrong.
After reading about all the people that had rear ends replaced, new drive shafts, clutch packs, etc... i'm pretty scared to find the problem. I just hit 100,000 miles, no extended warranty. So it'll be all out of pocket.
It is in the shop as we speak, the front left wheel bearing just went out, front right axle seal went out, i think the pully on the fan belt is out also, and then they just told me my battery won't keep charge all of the sudden.
Only other work i had done was this past summer. The A/C stopped, it was a short, they put a new wire in, re charged it, and it' ice cold now...

I bought my truck from a DLR auction, it was a Walmart parts deliver truck in MN, so that is why it has so many miles. My question is, is there a way to find out if i had been in to the dlr for warranty repairs before, so that i can see if they ever did any rear end work, drive shafts, etc...
Thaks for your time.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 PM
^ nope... you can try asking for any paperwork to show a regular maintenance schedule.

You can call and ask if any of those things have been replaced, most places keep a record and will be upfront and honest with you.

*They do not have to tell you. They do not have to provide you the paper work to prove it. And they do not have to use those "CARFAX" reports.

Its worth a try to look around.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 02-13-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
^ nope... you can try asking for any paperwork to show a regular maintenance schedule.

You can call and ask if any of those things have been replaced, most places keep a record and will be upfront and honest with you.

*They do not have to tell you. They do not have to provide you the paper work to prove it. And they do not have to use those "CARFAX" reports.

Its worth a try to look around.

Thanks for the info
when you say i can try asking for any paperwork to show maintenance, do you mean, call ford and ask them? or try to get a hold of walmart and ask them? I'm assuming since this was a company veh, that they kept the regular maintanance up fairly well, it had pretty much brand new tires on it and last oil change sticker, all walmart stuff.

and are you saying, if ford does work they don't have to report it to carfax like if it were in an accident? and that ford never has to tell me if there were things replaced in house...
Thanks again for the info and help.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM
State laws are different. They are called "disclosure laws".

Around here, nope they don't have to tell you chit about the truck. Foundout mine suffered rear passenger fender damage during transport. I found out WAY later dow the road ! They did a cheap-o job tryingto fix it too... I have re-done their Fu(k up tho

I would call Wally World to see if they have some records and if they would be willing to help you out (don't be surprised to hear some excuse tho).
Yeah, you can call Ford too (might as well, whats the harm ?) see if thye have any paper work on it.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 02-13-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
State laws are different. They are called "disclosure laws".

Around here, nope they don't have to tell you chit about the truck. Foundout mine suffered rear passenger fender damage during transport. I found out WAY later dow the road ! They did a cheap-o job tryingto fix it too... I have re-done their Fu(k up tho

I would call Wally World to see if they have some records and if they would be willing to help you out (don't be surprised to hear some excuse tho).
Yeah, you can call Ford too (might as well, whats the harm ?) see if thye have any paper work on it.
Thanks for the advice and info, I'll try giving both a call and see if it turns up any dirt.
I might have another way to get some info but i cant' say how, lol.
It turned up some great dirt last time i test drove a car, I thought it felt like it needed an alignment, and asked if it had been in a wreck ever, they said no. I called a friend , found out it had been hit front left and front right...maybe he can give me a little back ground on mine...Thanks again for your time and help. i really appreciate it.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a 04 and has 39k. I have 35" tires and a 2.5 level on it. All good except the rear windos motors installed 2 already. Everything else is in good shape.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Nicks700r
Thanks for the advice and info, I'll try giving both a call and see if it turns up any dirt.
I might have another way to get some info but i cant' say how, lol.
It turned up some great dirt last time i test drove a car, I thought it felt like it needed an alignment, and asked if it had been in a wreck ever, they said no. I called a friend , found out it had been hit front left and front right...maybe he can give me a little back ground on mine...Thanks again for your time and help. i really appreciate it.
I just ran a carfax, and it was in an accident before i owned it. air bags were deployed... infact it says 01/19/06, and i bought it in 04/20/07,

Minnesota
Police Report
Case #
Accident reported
in Stearns County
Involving a front impact
with another motor vehicle
Severe damage reported
Front airbag deployed

Last edited by Nicks700r; 02-13-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:13 AM
56,000 miles, 05....

I have had Many Many Warranty problems (maybe 12 things fixed under warranty). The last two problems have been non-warranty and really did convince me that Ford Quality means nothing....These problems were:

1) Trasmission light went out (the one that lights up and tells you your in Drive, 1st, 2nd etc.)

2) The whole driver side window switch panel went out and had to be replaced.

These are trivial things but the fact that the small Ford dealer I had the work done at actually had the repair parts in stock shocked me. Makes you wonder how common these two problems are in our trucks.....

Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 AM
What the heck??? There's something supposed to light up and tell you if you're in D, R, 1, 2, etc??? Where the heck is that supposed to be? I've always wondered why at night you can't tell what gear you're in. Maybe mine never worked from Day 1? I'd love to see this gauge in a pic so I can believe it exists. Damn, that is whack. I knew Ford couldn't be that forgetful.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Forrest_F150
trivial things

the fact that the small Ford dealer .... had the repair parts in stock shocked me.
why? having parts in stock apparently means bad QA

your truck is about 3, but more likely 4 yrs old, that area is commonly subjected to rain and is probably the most commonly used set of switches on any vehicle besides the radio button...

Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM
My truck has been good, a few warranty issues during the first 2 years.
Clutch Paks replaced
Battery replaced
Drivers seat cover replaced
Gas tank door replaced

Thats it, hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?