2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 Supercab FX4 that I purchased new in October of 2003. I currently have 146,700 on the odometer.

To date these are the problems I have had with the truck other than the third Brake Light.

April '04 - 21K miles. I turned the AC on for the first time since it was on the dealership lot when I picked it up. About 2 or 3 minutes later I hear an audible pop under the hood, and the AC begins blowing Hot. I pull over, pop the hood and see that one of the AC lines has busted. Service manager tells me that the lines were hooked up incorrectly at the factory and after running for a few minutes the system built up enough pressure to bust the hose. Fixed under warranty.

June '06 - 97K miles. Windshield Wiper motor stops working. Fixed under extended warranty.

June '07 - 132K miles. Fuel pump sending unit goes out causing fuel pump to burn out.

Aside from regular maintenance this truck has been very, very good to me.

Last edited by JJ2004; 01-09-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by aggie '01 F-150
I have 50K miles and I'm on my 3rd set of rotors. I think I'm going to have to replace my calipers also, at least the fronts for sure. I had to replace a seal in the rear diff and I'm having an issue that I think is the clutch pack, but when it was under warranty the dealer could never get the truck to act like it does with me. I don't necessarily count these as anything major. Overall definitely a good truck. Now that it is almost paid off and I'm almost through the original tires, new wheels and tires are coming. Hopefully it continues to live for a long time.
3 sets of rotors per set of tires seems a bit much if you ask me.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by chazf150
Thanks Big Bear, Ca.(Mountians Just east of L.A.) . Pic`s were taken last week b4 the rain and snow came
Nice, well looks like you hit it just in time. The pic looks like some perfect weather (not that i don't like wheeling in a storm... but sometimes its nice to have good weather). And, I am familiar with Big Bear. The only time I went, I was a passenger, but its a nice place. I have a older brother who lives down in Santa Barbara, so we treked out there a time or two. Well, you ever wonder up north for some wheeling, make a post and perhaps we will run into one another.

SamStein: where did ya go bud ??? You make an ignorant comment like you did, get shut down, then disappear?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Less serious issues have been rear axle seals, drivers window switch cluster...
My window switch cluster is currently being replaced for the second time. First time the light went out on driver's window button. This time, driver's window button doesn't always work when I try to get the window up and the window lock switch light went out.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Mechanically, mine is in pretty good shape. It still feels solid.

A couple of minor things, but nothing too bad.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Bought mine in October 04. 45k so far.

- Heat and air suddenly would only come out of the dash regardless of the setting. Was told there was nothing wrong with it and that I had to close the dash vents to stop it from coming out of there. After a very heated conversation with the dealership they suddenly found the problem which required removal of the dash to repair.
- motor for rear sliding window went out.
- had problems with the motor and electrical system cutting off while driving. The reprogrammed the computer and it went away.
- The one that still drives me nuts...vibrating of the plastic piece between the windsheild and hood. The dealer put some felt under it but it still vibrates at high speeds.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZigZ
- The one that still drives me nuts...vibrating of the plastic piece between the windsheild and hood. The dealer put some felt under it but it still vibrates at high speeds.
I had a 1981 Toyota Celica (My ex wife had it actually) and I HATED that car because of all the vibrating plastic, ESPECIALLY the plastic boot thingy around the automatic transmission shifter assembly. Buzz, Buzz, Buzz. My Saturn has the same style boot thingy, and it doesn't vibrate...

The plastic piece you are talking about between the hood and the windshield, at least if it was metal, would be known as the cowl. If it is loose enough to vibrate, probably one of the clips that hold it down broke out.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
^^ i agree... try taking it apart yourself and getting some foam or a type of pad or something under it? I haven't really paid much attention to mine so i wouldn't know whats involved in a task like that. And yes, even tho they have switched over to plastic (everything!) i think it is still called the cowl.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Had mine replaced too, at 35K.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
43,000 And still going strong.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Bought mine in October 04. 45k so far.

- Heat and air suddenly would only come out of the dash regardless of the setting. Was told there was nothing wrong with it and that I had to close the dash vents to stop it from coming out of there. After a very heated conversation with the dealership they suddenly found the problem which required removal of the dash to repair.
- had problems with the motor and electrical system cutting off while driving. The reprogrammed the computer and it went away.

do you have a bug shield? If so, there are posts for a very simple fix on this. I did it to mine and worked perfectly.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:17 AM
just hit 72,000.

the driver side door wont lock/unlock with remote anymore (bad actuator?)
3rd brake light leak
power window light fade (no biggie)
wore out upper balljoints with leveling kit
used to have wheel shimmy with 20's, now i have 33's on 17's with no shimmy
no noise complaints, but i have a magnaflow muffler so i cant hear much anyway lol

pretty reliable truck.

***drove home after being rearended by a car doing 45+ when i was stopped. other car was totaled. super strong rear bumper setup on these trucks

Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Issues

Mine has been pretty good. 75K

-Window motor died when it was raining.
-The Ford stickers came off on all of the hubcaps .
-Driver and Pwr moonroof switch lights stopped working.
-Auto start and alarm had a loose connection, fixed free after warrenty was gone.
-Brake pad and rotors, the rims are no longer black after a week of driving. 8)
-Serpentine belt was making squeel, they replaced it under warranty.
-Rattling headliner, drove me nuts. Not covered under warranty, paid for it to be glued up.
-Pad thing.

All pretty much minor, love my truck. I just bought an Audiophile and sub from eBay. Looking forward to puttting that in.

2004 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat
32's with 17" custom rims. (got rid of the 18s)
KN air intake.
Spray bedliner.
MagnaFlow muffler w/ 3" pipes. Lovely sound, not duo's but nice.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I just bought my 2004 F150 Scab 2WD last month. I picked it up on the 25th with 24900 miles on it.

So far so good. You guys are scaring me a little bit, though. I traded in a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee on it, and was glad to do it.

I love this truck, it has the XLT package, and is absolutely beautiful!

I just added the P.I.E. adaptor for iPod and XM aux input, and that's working great. Also I dropped in a K & N air filter, we'll see how that affects the MPG, which isn't too good right now.

Next up is a tonneau cover to try to help the MPG.

So far, a great truck.

Last edited by Gray Bear; 02-10-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Gray Bear
I just bought my 2004 F150 Scab 2WD last month. I picked it up on the 25th with 24900 miles on it.

So far so good. You guys are scaring me a little bit, though. I traded in a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee on it, and was glad to do it.

I love this truck, it has the XLT package, and is absolutely beautiful!

I just added the P.I.E. adaptor for iPlod and XM aux input, and that's working great. Also I dropped in a K & N air filter, we'll see how that affects the MPG, which isn't too good right now.

Next up is a tonneau cover to try to help the MPG.

So far, a great truck.
Don't be scared off by the stuff your reading here. Your F150 is built rock solid and will give many years of service. Anything mass produced will have issues, the majority of which are typically minor stuff that can be easily fixed. I was concerned about my warranty running out last July because of all the things that were fixed on Ford's dime. I have to say that all the quirks are fixed and my '04 hasn't been in for anything more then oil changes during the last 7 months. Drive your F150 with confidence and use it for what it was intended. It'll take whatever you dish out and come back for more.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?