'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only problem...

Rear Brake Light Seal

Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I bought mine used about 2 years ago. Now 55k and only a rear brake light leak the day after I left the dealership. Went back and they changed it no charge and no hassle. Fine ever since.

I caused a parasitic drain on the battery that might be floating here in history.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Have only 25k on mine, and loving every mile. No problems really. Cam phasers were noising when i got it last year and the dealership fixed that problem under warranty, no other issues as of yet

Old 05-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I've got 91K on my '04 Screw 4x4 Lariat. She's been an awesome truck to own so far. I have had some repairs needed, but since I bought the 100K mile warranty, it's been covered....less a $100 deductible.

Pre 36K mile warranty:

3rd Brake Light Leak.

36k-current:

4WD Vacuum line went out, stripped the front axle splines. Replaced. Then, next day, same thing. Driving in 2WD down the freeway at 70 mpg and this excrutiating noise starts coming from my front driveshafts. Same repair next day, but his time they get it right.

Limited-Slip went out, They replaced the LS and lubed the slip yoke.

At ~85K miles, I took it in for a oil change at the dealer and they found an oil leak. Said is was the oil drain valve and replaced it. At next oil change @ 90K, they found the same oil leak and determined it was the valve cover gasket, replaced and no leaks as of now....

Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Talking

I just got my 04 Screw Fx4 about 3 months now and love it (had 31K miles on it). They did have to replace the stock brake pads due to excessive squealing that I complained about and that's about it (not to mention someone keyed the truck the day before I got it...but they fixed that as well). So far it's been good to me, but I aggree about the extra horse power. I had a 4 cyl tacoma pulling my boat before this and with the 5.4v8 I thought I would see signifcant increase in acceleration, but it was pretty moderate for what I thought it would be. Sitll looks good and once I'm done with my planned mods it'll look even better!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Bought mine new in 04 and so far...Brakes, faulty injector, torn leather seat, belts squeaks, thunk when I put it into gear.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I can't say i am real happy with mine, i mean i love the way the truck looks. I have had the same problems as you, rotors (replaced), rear end rebuilt (twice), throttle body replaced, leaky taillight lens replaced, bad temp sensor (replaced), butyl pad removal, drive shaft spline greased. In Ford's defence they did fix all the issues (it took a call directly to Ford) but now the rear bed leaf springs are creaking and popping worse than a 95 year old grandmother.
Ive got an early build 7/03.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Good stuff everyone, keep it comin'.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Just got back from a 900 mile family trip. I'm rolling onto 85,000 miles right now. Put a second set of BFG's on it this winter.

Still have the STock Brake Pads!

I love this truck. No serious problems. It's our Family Truckster.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Dad's 04

Pop has a 2wd XLT scab. Rear brake light leaks. Threw one code about 6 months ago, he cleared it and it never came back. It idles a little rough, but it has run great, been easy on the tires and decent on gas. He has hauled a couple of thousands of lbs in it and it did well.

He really likes his truck. First new pickup in years. Thankfully between my mom and dad any me and my wife, our cars have been pretty damn good.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 PM
One common problem I'm reading here is the leak at the third brake light, the one issue I haven't had yet. My warranty is up July 1st hmmmm......

Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 AM
'04 Lariat 4x4 Screw 5.4l 5.5'

Squeeks and rattles galore, plus major engine whine. And I take VERY good care of my trucks.

I took mine in once for the rear window squeek, they replaced something but it didn't fix the problem, never bothered to bring it back in. Rear passenger has a squeek as well, plus the bed seems to have a squeek and occasional other little squeeks that drive you crazy. But the worst of the worst has to be the horrific engine whine that developed about a year ago now. As long as you are giving the truck gas, no matter how slow or how fast, as long as your foot is on the gas the engine whines like a jet engine. It's absolutely horrible and I cannot wait for the 2009's to come out so I can trade this thing in. Thank gosh I paid it off last year, I'd be PISSED if I was still making monthly payments on a whiner like this. My 1997 and 1998 F-150's all were perfect for the many years I owned them (what GREAT trucks!), but this one seems to gather more squeeks and rattles as the years go by. Oh, and my power rear window only works on rare occasions, when it wants to I guess... better to leave it shut than have it stop when it's open.

2009, PLEASE come quickly!

And if the '09's look like crap, I'll have to go to a Fusion or Edge or something. I wish I knew now what they looked like, because if they are butt ugly like the Titan, Tundra, Ram or Chevy (GMC really only other decent looking 1/2 ton truck) I could just buy a car now and be done with the horrible engine whine and other rattles 'n squeeks.

This is her on Day 1, before I knew she had a virtual orchestra of squeeks 'n rattles to come...

2009... 2009...

Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 AM
48k and standing strong, knock on wood. Did do a break job at 40k though.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 AM
New engine: Bought mine used at 42K, now has 68K but at 65K she needed a new (rebuilt) engine. Had rod knock and #1 cylinder was down on compression. Upon disassembly they found the cam lobes on the passenger side showed significant wear too. It took two longblocks before the dealership accepted what the Ford rebuilder sent them and then that engine had a sound from the drivers side head so they ordered another head. Decided to check the passenger side and it suffered from the same problem the drivers side head had so they ordered a new head for that side too. I walked back to the shop and talked to the head mechanic but still nobody would tell me what was wrong w/ the heads so I still don't know.

Other annoyances:
- The AC doesn't blow that cold
- I can't get the brakes to stop "warping" or pulsating (feels like warpage but 6 hard stops and it goes away for 1000 miles).
- I've had the 4wd solenoid replaced
- The steering wheel controls went out
- It blasts the music for an instant when coming to a stop.

Still like the truck though..

Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Had the 3rd Brake light leak fixed, had the butyl recall fixed, did the PCM reflash, and also had the front end vibe, which was fixed, but they busted a brake line in the process and I was back the next day for that. Also had window light switch burn out as well. I'm at 31,000 miles and gonna get the ashtray rattle fixed and that should be it.

Everything else is fine, and I still love the truck. If it wasn't for this site, I might have lived with most of the problems. But seeing how many people had the same issues as me, it was worth getting them fixed. Thanks Guys!!!

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?