'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1)rear driveshaft replaced
2)ring and pinion replaced
3)limited slip replaced
4)replaced rear window power slide motor twice
5)rear window squeak fixed never put back together right.
6)front right cv boot leaked and replaced
7)front swaybar retorqued
8)plugs replaced not sure why
9)Piece of ice creased my hood (crappy aluminum hood)
10)lots of body noise, quiet steel? yea right.

This is not the complete list I can't remember them all, truck is very strange at times and other times its great. Tired of everyone asking me about my diesel! Anyhow I have 25K on it now.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Yeah, you can add in the driver's side switches not lighting up, about 75% work and 25% don't for some reason, just the driver's side door switches, all the others work fine.

Sounds like this is a common problem, and only on the driver door switches. Wonder why, perhaps because it is opened/closed the most often? Something not secure? Dunno, just an observation.

Also have the rear window rattle, and the rear window also very rarely works, but sometimes it will open and close, most times not. I can try it, drive for 20 minutes, remember and try again, then it works, then it won't, it's really weird. To play it safe I never try anymore, I'm afraid it'll open and then not shut again when I park.

I hate to complain because I've bought 2 previous 150's, and they were fantastic, my '97 had 0 problems and my '98 was in once for some piece that rusted and fell apart and had to be replaced under the truck.

But this 2004 makes more noise than I can believe. I was so excited when they announced it, and they kept touting it was as quiet as a Lexus and had new Quiet Steel all over the place. But it makes an incredible racket, EVERYTHING has a squeek or rattle, from the bed to the rear window to the rear passenger door to the front cowl passenger side, to other random cab rattles. Add to that the horrific engine whine that has developed, and it'll drive you mad.

So no mechanical problems, which is great! But sound problems...

Remember that Ford commercial in 2004, with all the trucks driving across America as they were built, and Ford kept talking about how they had promises to keep... ummm... what happened to the promise of this vehicle being QUIET???

Is it 2009 yet? ...

Old 05-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Not a single problem with mine except for those stupid ac/heat vents breaking

Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Remember that Ford commercial in 2004, with all the trucks driving across America as they were built, and Ford kept talking about how they had promises to keep... ummm... what happened to the promise of this vehicle being QUIET???

Is it 2009 yet? ...
I find this is the case with most if not all of todays vehicles. There isn't a screw anywhere to hold things tight, just clips. It's only a matter of time before things start to squeak and rattle.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:29 AM
I have a 04 lariat, 45,xxx miles, had the pad thing removed, cam phasers replaced, the rotors kept warping (they replaced the calipers the last time, problem fixed), and they fixed the rear end whine. I do have the noise at start up for about a second, two dealerships told me it was a caused by a plastic piece that is allowing oil to drain out of the heads, both dealerships replaced the part but the noise is still there, the last time I got to look at the engine while they were working on it, not noticable wear at 25K miles.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 AM
2004 SCAB 4X4 5.4L w/ 38k Miles

1) Light in power moon roof button burned out.
2) Third brake light leak.
3) Reverse sensing intermittently stopped working.
4) Ummm... think that's all.

Pretty sure those were my only issues, all of which I would consider to be minor. Overall I've been very impressed with the truck... and add in the fact that I've been very hard on this lease, I'm even more impressed. That's why I decided to buy a 2007 after leasing this 2004.

Also, I've had a Superchip tuner on this truck pretty much since it was new. On wide open and hard throttle it makes the truck shift too hard in my opinion, but since it was a lease I didn't worry about it too much. After nearly 40k miles, with the Superchips tune off, the truck still shifts like new.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 AM
only problems I have had was not enough freon in ac and the crome cap broke off the shifter. Both were fixed under warranty.
28,500 miles. Guess I don't drive very much.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Sounds like all in all these '04's are holding up pretty well, considering this was the first run for the new body style. Everyone seems to share the same issues as well, I find that interesting. Despite the issues I've had I'm still very happy with my F150 and am looking forward to '09.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Just the rear pinion, otherwise pretty darn good.

I will be trading her in next year on the new 09's. Already seeing covered prototypes in spyshots, getting very excited. 6-speed automatic and hopefully a diesel option would be nice!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 AM
I traded mine in with only 27,000 miles and very few trips to the dealer. Only nagging problem was that the left turn signals on my trailer didn't work when connected to that truck. Of course, mine was built in June 2004, so it was basically a 2005.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 AM
nearing 27,000 miles and no real problems to speak of. Have had mine for a little over a year and put 13,000 of those miles on it.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 AM
The ****s

I bought an 04 4 months ago and have nothing but problems. It started when i hit a pot hole and the truck started sputtering then stall and i could not start it. my calipers seized. one of the lifters is shot on the right side. i am putting a new fuel pump in tomorrow. ohh yeah and it was broken into even though i had an alarm on it.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aaron_froh
I bought an 04 4 months ago and have nothing but problems. It started when i hit a pot hole and the truck started sputtering then stall and i could not start it. my calipers seized. one of the lifters is shot on the right side. i am putting a new fuel pump in tomorrow. ohh yeah and it was broken into even though i had an alarm on it.
A lot of your problems might be the way the truck was treated and serviced the 3 years before you got it.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Sounds like all in all these '04's are holding up pretty well, considering this was the first run for the new body style. Everyone seems to share the same issues as well, I find that interesting. Despite the issues I've had I'm still very happy with my F150 and am looking forward to '09.
Me too, my son graduates high school next year, then to school in Az. So good chance i will give him my F-150 and get new one on 2009.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Truckin' on

I have an FX4 Scab with 42,501 on the clock...seems to running decent, knock on wood.

--the headliner rattles constantly, extremely annoying

--the center console rattles constantly, even more annoying

--there is a leak from the third brake light, so my whole backseat is wet if it rains, annoying

--there is a constant tick from the motor...I am not a mechanic, but I am pretty sure it's the injectors...still very annoying

--had to have the rotors replaced b/c Ford used ones that were too small..smart cost cutting move on their part since they'll have to replace them under warranty anyway

--my odometer sometimes lights up at night, and sometimes doesn't, again very annoying

--constant lag from the throttle..seems to bog down, even with fuel system treatment, new filter, and all the proper maintenance...I have an Airaid system and X-pipe config to help it breathe and this thing is still a dog on the road

--transmission, throttle calibration sucks...unnecessarily downshifts even with minimal throttle engagement

Besides that, nothing big. It runs fine, and I am pretty hard on it. I may just be old fashioned like my father, but for $37K new, I was expecting a little more quality. I have friends with Chevy's/Dodge's though, and they have similar issues. I would be licking my chops if I were Nissan and Toyota though, if they can make a top performer and get rid of BS quality issues, I would buy one honestly. There's really no excuse with Ford being the leader in the truck segment, and these quality issues still occurring, IMO.

I also will say though the 4x4 system on these are definitely capable. I been through some nasty gumbo with it, and it's just keeps asking for more.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?