2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkester
Finally got my springs (yes it's been two months) going from 1,700# to 1,900# springs and adding a 3" block to replace the 2" block to bring back a little rake after I leveled her last year...not fond of the drop when the trailer is hooked up...but then again maybe with the new springs it wouldn't drop...

The stack is thicker for the higher rating but all other measurements are the same.

I had a serious rake problem when I hooked up our 24 ft so I just bought these since I like my trucks leveled height

Old 06-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dolomite
I had a serious rake problem when I hooked up our 24 ft so I just bought these since I like my trucks leveled height

NICE!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 AM
I think I got a dud...lol

After reading everyone else's posts, I'm kinda jealous...

2004 xlt Screw 5.4 3v 4x4

Right vacuum lock on front axle go t stuck half engaged. Stripped axle splines. And hub...

Overdrive servo clip shattered.

Dropped valve in cylinder. Almost four grand repair. And I did all the work...

Both rear wheel seals replaced from leaking.

Right rear window reg.

Throttle body got so gummed up it would not idle.

Recently, one of the timing chain guides broke. It did quite a bit of damage...

I have always serviced her religiously. Motorcraft everything. I think I got a bad egg though. I haven't even made it to 160,000 miles yet. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. But I'm tired of working on it now...ha-ha.

Has anyone else had trouble with the sway bar links in the front? I have changed mine several times and they only last for a few months and start clunking...

Old 06-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by jdjohns1
Has anyone else had trouble with the sway bar links in the front? I have changed mine several times and they only last for a few months and start clunking...
Is that what it is?

My 2004 "knocks" on the left side. I can be driving without any sounds and then when I hit impurities on the road or rocks, holes, etc, I hear like a "knocking" noise coming from the front, left side.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Going Strong

Simple and clean. Just how I like it

First time posting on this site. I currently drive an 04 White XLT Crew and its going real strong. Hope to add some things here and there to it to make it my own. I just got the spark plugs switched out with some SP515s and none broke so I was very happy for that. Plans are to add a double din headunit with a back up camera, level kit w/ larger wheel and tire package. Smittybilt light bar up front with KC Slims and some tow mirrors. That's all I really want. Thnx guys and Happy Fathers day to all you dads out there.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:09 PM
I loved my 04 truck. Just recently sold it.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:09 PM
279630 miles and I finally (?) got my first check engine light. Stopped by a shop and they told me P0174 To lean bank #2.

He suggested a few items for me to check and I was on my way.

Replaced one vacuum hose that was flaking, cleaned the throttle body and MAS, new filter, and sprayed manifold and other vacuum lines with starter fluid but could find no leaks. Still idles low / rough so I guess it's to the shop.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Hawkester,
I had somewhat the same thing only it was P0171 lean bank #1. I did the same in cleaning the throttle body, MAS and new fuel filter. Also searched for vacuum leak as you and still had problem. I took it in last week and was told I had a bad coil and the boots where not in good shape. So I had a tune-up and changed that coil and all the boots and now $675 later its running like a charm. I just didn't want to mess with a tune-up. I think I might go ahead and change out the rest of coils on my own though, so far 2 on passenger side has been replaced.

Smig

04 SCrew 4X4 150K miles

Old 08-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Starting to go

Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by palomino6294
Is that what it is?

My 2004 "knocks" on the left side. I can be driving without any sounds and then when I hit impurities on the road or rocks, holes, etc, I hear like a "knocking" noise coming from the front, left side.
Check your brake bracket mounting bolts. I had the same problem, and let it go and the caliper fell on the inside of the wheel. Easy fix.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Took it to the shop and they "smoked" the manifold and vacuum lines and found that the intake manifold gaskets had leaks. When they pulled the intake manifold they also found the vacuum "box" (?) at the back was cracked so that needs to be replaced. No cracks in the manifold!

I asked them to look at a small oil leak near the front under the PS pump while they have it apart....hope to have her back mid week.

While she was a way I did some shopping...looked at a beautiful 2016 XLT.....*sigh*....felt like I cheated on her.

$37,000.00 and a monthly payment or keep my '04 and no monthly payment....it will be nice to have her back!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took it to the shop and they "smoked" the manifold and vacuum lines and found that the intake manifold gaskets had leaks. When they pulled the intake manifold they also found the vacuum "box" (?) at the back was cracked so that needs to be replaced. No cracks in the manifold!

I asked them to look at a small oil leak near the front under the PS pump while they have it apart....hope to have her back mid week.

While she was a way I did some shopping...looked at a beautiful 2016 XLT.....*sigh*....felt like I cheated on her.

$37,000.00 and a monthly payment or keep my '04 and no monthly payment....it will be nice to have her back!
You have to keep the 04! If for no other reason, just to prove that not all 3V were created by satan

Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by MTM Ford
You have to keep the 04! If for no other reason, just to prove that not all 3V were created by satan
Hahaha....every time I see someone post about how unreliable the 5.4 3v Triton is I chuckle...but really it is a hard choice...I love the look of the '16's almost as much as the '79 and '04...

Nice truck by the way...

Old 08-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's one of the main things that keeps me fixing my '05, the base price on a base model XL is $26,000!!! Except that I want 4x4, extended cab, and a 3.5 ecoboost.
Everything else I want is listed here: F-150 XL
Vehicle Details

3.5L V6 EcoBoost® engine
The available 3.5L EcoBoost® delivers proven performance and durability in over a half-million F-150 pickups on the road. Direct-injection technology draws optimum power from every drop of fuel, while twin turbochargers answer instantly with an on-demand surge when you need it. Advanced twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) technology optimizes power output at every point across the performance band. The 3.5L EcoBoost has 6 percent higher city and 11 percent higher combined EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings* over the 2014 model, along with a 12 percent better power-to-weight ratio than the previous generation’s engine.** The tow rating is 12,200 lbs.
Class is Full-Size Pickups under 8,500 lbs. GVWR. When properly equipped.

Easy Fuel capless fuel filler
The standard Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler has an integrated spring-loaded door that allows you to simply insert the fuel nozzle into the tank to fill up. No screw cap is required. And because Easy Fuel automatically seals after the fuel nozzle is removed, fewer evaporative emissions are released into the environment.
SYNC
SYNC
Available voice-activated SYNC technology helps you keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
Hands-free calling

Make a call with a simple push of a button along with the sound of your voice, and the phone conversation can be heard through your vehicle speakers
Automatic Phone Book Download
Download the names and numbers programmed in your compatible phone automatically
Music search and control
Say what music you want to hear and listen to it easily with voice-activated search or say “Bluetooth® audio” to stream your favorite content on your phone wirelessly
SYNC AppLink™
Use your voice to control some of your favorite compatible mobile apps while driving
No-extra-charge 911 Assist®
Connect your compatible cell phone to this convenient no-charge feature to help call 911, even if you can’t
Experience voice-activated technology. SYNC. Say the word.

Click below for a complete description of SYNC with MyFord and SYNC 3 on F-150
Electronic 6-Speed Transmission with Tow/Haul Mode
The standard electronic 6-speed transmission with tow/haul mode reduces gear hunting, improves power delivery and uses engine braking to help control vehicle speed when descending hills. Especially useful when hauling or towing a heavy load. The available SelectShift® automatic has two modes. Progressive Range Select, limiting the range of gears allows the driver to reduce the range of available transmission gears while operating in Drive mode to limit the number of gears available for road and load conditions; Full Manual mode for the control of going manually up and down the gearbox without using a clutch.

All this copied and pasted from Ford's website, and the grand total for a truck how I'd want it is...$36,755!!! So, I'll just keep on driving my Earline, she's only got 123,016 miles.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahaha....every time I see someone post about how unreliable the 5.4 3v Triton is I chuckle...but really it is a hard choice...I love the look of the '16's almost as much as the '79 and '04...

Nice truck by the way...
That's my thoughts exactly. The 79, 04-08 and 15/16 F150s are IMO the best looking trucks out there. I was close to getting a new 15 XLT but couldn't bring myself make that monthly payment. I went with a 13 XLT and am very pleased with it.

Thanks! However, my 04 was a spawn from satan and I traded it in for a Silverado....yes, that's how bad it was

Last edited by MTM Ford; 08-29-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?