Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24,000 miles, 14mpg average.

1) Parking brake issue - fixed
2) Sticky rear window - still works sometimes
3) Stuck in Park - bad brake sensor switch, fixed under warranty
4) Had the CC shut off by itself - Only happened once
5) The CC buzzes for a minute or two after shutdown - Sticking gate, ongoing issue.

Changed the Fuel Filter yesterday, tore the little blue clip up. For the clueless: The little triangle on the clip lifts up, gently, maybe. Use the disconnect tool to separate the filter from the line, the clip DOES NOT come out like the old Rangers. New clips are $16 per pair, they are now pink. The part number changed when they went pink, the A in the middle is now an S.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
My 04 has 26000 miles. Built 9/03 in Norfolk.
Dealer broke two spark plugs.
Replaced front pads and rotors.
Repaired drivers side key pad.
Replaced butyl pad.
There's a gurgle noise from somewhere underneath for about a half second when you let off the gas.
There's a squeek in the steering wheel area that comes and goes.
AC doesn't blow cold enough. Dealer checked it twice and said it's within spec.
There's a slight vibration from the rear end when starting and turning. I couldn't get it to do it at the dealer.
There's also a vibration for a few seconds when accelerating from a stop when pulling a load.
There are no problems now that I can't live with. I think it's a great truck and I love driving it. My warranty expires in Dec. I might get an extended warranty.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Had mine since Aug. 04...had one incident with a Valve Cover Gasket leak...thats it!

The rest has been normal maintenance (Brakes, Fluids, etc.). All major and minor maintenance performed by the stealership. I never had any weirdness with my motor, no vibration issues or anything like that. One thing I do notice just recently was my light for my lock/unlock button is out. Apparently I just read that a lot of people are have these issues. I give it a nice tap and it turns on again.

Anyhow, I have normal mods...Intake, Exhaust, Leveled, Wheels and Tires, Retrax...everything is perfect. 56k miles and still strong. I just did the rear brakes and need to do my fronts next.

My 2004 FX4 SCAB is still looking good and running perfect. I dont plan on getting rid of her any time soon...if anything, the lift is coming - just need to wear out my tires a bit more!!!

Forgot to add these items:

Recall for Butyl Pad - DONE
3rd Top Mount Brake Light was leaking into cab - Warranty, bad seal, replaced entire assembly and gasket...FIXED.

Last edited by sirshan; 08-08-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 04 screw lariat has 72,000 miles on it... just had the rear end replaced other than that still going stong!!! ... also JohnK, my truck had the same problem and the local dealership said they have had alot of trucks (especially 04-05) with the same problem and it was a problem with the gearing in the rearend... i just had mine replaced and so far no problems with the vibration.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just over 70k miles, I have squeaks and rattles, starting problems, replaced starter not it. All sorts of problems, new transfercase, now have a warped flywheel (grind at startup), squeak in the wheel bearings it sounds like, annoying tailgate squeak (wd40 is a per day fix), I could go on but there is a character limit per post, can't wait for an F-250 diesel, I know that will handle the occasional trip offroad a little better than my poor f-150 has :[

Last edited by Josiah; 08-08-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
just over 70k miles, I have squeaks and rattles, starting problems, replaced starter not it. All sorts of problems, new transfercase, now have a warped flywheel (grind at startup), squeak in the wheel bearings it sounds like, annoying tailgate squeak (wd40 is a per day fix), I could go on but there is a character limit per post, can't wait for an F-250 diesel, I know that will handle the occasional trip offroad a little better than my poor f-150 has :[
Josiah, man you've had a laundry list of issues with your '04. Makes mine look like a diamond in the rough.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Josiah, man you've had a laundry list of issues with your '04. Makes mine look like a diamond in the rough.
But have you beat on the truck as hard as Josiah has?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
But have you beat on the truck as hard as Josiah has?
Well, no but if his truck has held up this long with the beatin' he puts on it then mine should last until the next ice age.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM
48,000 MILES

These minor issues have all been 2004-2005 Ford F150 Technical Service Bulletins:

Third break light leak - fixed.
BUTYL PAD recall - fixed
VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS.- fixed

Current Problems:
Routers seem to be too soft, making a sound as if pads are worn down. Pads are ok, routers need to be turned or I need to purchase new routers.

No major problems (knocking on wood)

Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by TEAMFALCON
48,000 MILES

These minor issues have all been 2004-2005 Ford F150 Technical Service Bulletins:

Third break light leak - fixed.
BUTYL PAD recall - fixed
VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS.- fixed

Current Problems:
Routers seem to be too soft, making a sound as if pads are worn down. Pads are ok, routers need to be turned or I need to purchase new routers.

No major problems (knocking on wood)

Do you mean rotors?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 AM
mine was a terd...bad rear end, front end rattled bad driving over the smalllest thing at slow speed.
brakes sucked were very slow and soft
a/c suck unless sitting still and would take 20 mins too cool down

all in all it sucked for the price ..I put 100 k on it and traded it in for 07 wrangler !!!! woo hoo...altho i do miss the room and ride on the highway.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM
So far so good.

37,000 mile on my 04 150. 20,000 of that towing a travel trailer at 6500#.
I've done the regular maintenance. Replaced spark plugs at 26k and 36K. The last replacement to a cooler range plug. Replace fuel filter early on. Just replaced the "ice cube tray" plastic covers in front of the windshield. They were starting to rot and crack.

I did a flush, filter and tranny fluid replacement last week. I run an additional tranny cooler with a fan in addition to the stock cooler. The original fluid was nice and bright red. Could not tell the difference between it and the new fluid.

I had a leak in the third brake lite too. Got that fixed two years ago. Took it in to the dealer for the TSB on front brake shudder. They fixed that one ok. Had a dealer re-flash for the throttle lag (but Troyer fixed that too). I reflash on a regular basis. I go from a tow tune to my performance tune a lot. No issues here. Planing a 4K trip next month with my TT. I really enjoy towing with this truck.

When I retire in about 1 1/2 years from now I think we will keep the 150 for mama and I will go to a 250 diesel.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:20 PM
My mom had a 04 Fx4 screw and had 65,000 on it when she traded it in. The only thing we ever had to do to it was the rearend had a leak in it and normal maintenence. It also had the rear window rattle/sqeak which my truck also has. My 04 Lariet 4x4 scab has 50,000 miles on it. The only thing ive done is normal maintenece and i had to get the front axle fixed from where i hit something on the front diff and bent the cover so oil leaked out. This was my fault thought and had i bought the skid plates it wouldnt have happened. I think i need to get the slip yoke looked at as a somtimes have a bump in the driveline when a cost and then get back on the gas. I have been extremely happy with my truck which sees regular 4wd time has towed trailers up to 9,000lbs and still runs and drives great. I plan on having this truck for a very long time.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
My 04 XLT extended cab 5.4 has 45k miles on it. I have a bad rattle in the front left of the dash, when you hit bumps or anything it sounds like the dash is going to fall out. My passenger side doors rattle really bad when you hit a bump, sounds like they are going to open. I think its the latch where the rear door catches. Back solid glass leaks when it rains really hard or if you got to a car wash, so until I get that fixed, I hand wash. Other than that I love my truck, runs good, has plenty of room and plenty of power for what I use it for. My only question. I bought it used and it didn't come with an owners manual. How do I find out things like what gears are in the truck?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:20 AM
'04 F150 SCREW
50k miles
Battery went out about 6months ago.
Rear automatic sliding window stopped sliding, need to get er fixed. That's all though. Great truck!

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?