2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man... a lot of you guys put on a ton of miles! I only have 38,500 on mine and for the most part it's been perfect. Bought it new back in June of 04. It has the shimmy in the steering wheel like a lot of other F150s in this generation of truck, can't seem to get rid of it no matter what I try. The interior cab light has a weird quirk in it that it will not come on while the engine is running and the doors are shut, any other combo of doors and engine and they come on just fine, like I said... weird. Oh.. all most forgot, my airbag indicator light started blinking a few days ago, blinks a code out and then stays on for good. I'll have it checked next oil service. Can't wait for 09's to come out, hope they put the Boss in.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 PM
78,000 miles, no manufacturer issues at all. I had an issue recently where I was getting lean codes but that was from a leak in the intake tube of the Airaid. Fixed that and she is running great again. This is by far the best vehicle I have owned, period!

Forgot to add, 04 Kansas plant.

Last edited by LuckyCharm13; 08-03-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 PM
12230 Miles on mine I just had the ambiant temp sensor replaced I still have a problem with the HAVC system turning off by it self I had it in twice but there was NPF

Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Smile Thanks for bringing this thread back.

Back from the valley of lost threads, awesome. Keep the posts coming, I really want to hear how these old '04's are holding up.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:28 PM
my 04 fx4 is good the only thing i dont like is the mpg, and my cloth seats are really hard to keep clean, but its great

Old 08-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I only have two problems with mine. The truck has 41,000 miles on it now.

1. The drivers power window switch does not light up anymore. Not a big deal....it's not worth the cost to fix it.

2. If I use the parking brake the truck will get a terrible vibration the first time I drive it after releasing the brake. I had it to the dealership twice when it was still under warranty and they never could figure it out. It took me a while to figure out that it only happened after the parking brake had been used and by that time it was out of warranty and I was tired of leaving the truck at the dealership only for them to not be able to duplicate the problem. My fix..........I just don't use the parking brake anymore.

As of right now I plan on getting one of the new F150's in 2-3 years.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Just wanted to see how those old '04's are holding up seeing as they're over 3 years old now and a good deal of them are at or approaching 100K and beyond.

In my case after many trips to the dealer for warranty issues my '04 has become a rock solid rig. Major problems have been limited to replacing the front rotors, calipers and pads for a steering vibe, replacing the clutch pack in the diff, and replacing the metal fuel line from the filter to the engine due to a leak.

Less serious issues have been rear axle seals, drivers window switch cluster, cam phasers and the recall to remove the butyl pad. Thankfully no other engine issues and zero tranny trouble. I tow a 6000lb camper every weekend in the summer and it always gets me to my destination. The 5.4 could use more grunt for pulling, it gets rolling fine but when trying to merge and get up to speed even 50 more ponies would make a difference. Turning OD off and using first and second gear does improve how the F150 moves a load, especially in the hills.

I could go on but I want to hear from the rest of you, this will be the thread to air your feelings about your truck. Both good and bad.
The driver's side window motor went out. Also I used my electric back window a total of like 5 times. It worked for a while. Then it got stuck. The day I went to the dealer it worked. A week later it got stuck again. Did a brake job around 40k. I do a lot highway driving with my truck. I have about 65k miles on it. Other than that I haven't had any problems knock on fake wood grain dash.

I drowned it in a mud hole. Claimed 7k worth of damages on insurance around 45k miles. They replaced the tranny, fusebox, all the fluids, maybe the spark plugs I don't know I have to check but most likely and whatever else they could find. Many suggested for me to sell it but it's been running trouble free so far.

Last edited by TNoff; 08-05-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by jjr8214
I only have two problems with mine. The truck has 41,000 miles on it now.

1. The drivers power window switch does not light up anymore. Not a big deal....it's not worth the cost to fix it.

2. If I use the parking brake the truck will get a terrible vibration the first time I drive it after releasing the brake. I had it to the dealership twice when it was still under warranty and they never could figure it out. It took me a while to figure out that it only happened after the parking brake had been used and by that time it was out of warranty and I was tired of leaving the truck at the dealership only for them to not be able to duplicate the problem. My fix..........I just don't use the parking brake anymore.

As of right now I plan on getting one of the new F150's in 2-3 years.
I had this happen for the first time a couple weeks ago. What I did to get rid of it was just grab the cable on the drivers side and give it a few good yanks back and forth. That pulled the shoes in and got rid of the vibe.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
My 04 has the pass. window motor problem, the steering wheel shimmy, had the trans shudder until I got the aftermarket tuner. Had 3 of 8 sparkplugs broken by dealer at 53K mi. Alternator went bad, and replaced the battery as well at that time. Truck now has 67K mi.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has 52,879. Regular maintenance, oil change, oil filer, tires balanced and rotated, original battery.

I had my rear brake pads replaced once

I had some horrible squeaking and noises coming from the rear ( 6 inch lift and new shocks fixed that)

I still had my original tires on the truck when i got 35's last week and they still have a few thousand miles left on them.

My only real problem is that piece of **** transmission. I broke 1st and 2nd gear. How? I have no idea! The crook at the service desk blamed it on the mud on the side of my truck from the construction road i drove up to get to my deer stand. I explained to him that if this truck has 4 wheel drive and cant handle a simple dirt road with absolutely no serious mud then this truck is a piece of ****.
2500 bucks later.......

Other than that I have had a great time with this truck! How much does the clutch pack replacement cost???

Old 08-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Currently my 04 has 53,000 miles on it.

I bought it a just over a year ago with 29,000.
Problems I have see since I've had the truck include:

1) Transmission crapped out on in the first month of owning the truck. Thank god it was still under warrenty.

2) O2 sensor went out about 6 months ago. I haven't replaced that yet and CEL has been on since.

3) Had to replace all four rotors and pads.

4) My window regulator went out about two weeks ago.

These are just one year of problems....

Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

mines at 73k. so far its been great. only problems that have occured have been my fault. drove through a river once which messed my brakes up, had to replace the pads and rotors (my pads were also really low already). but just 2 weeks ago my tranny pooped, and wasnt under warranty oh and the rear sliding window isnt working anymore and hasnt for a while, but i think its because my previous subwoofer rattled something loose.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:20 AM
69K miles
2 rebuilt transmissions and 1 new one
rebuilt rearend and 1 new one
warped brake rotors
back up sensor doesnt work
In dash 6 disc changer wont eject right
bad vibration at about 70 MPH(went to dealer and still didnt fix it)
all kinds of squeaks and rattles

But considering what it's been through it's one hell of a truck. live on a gravel road and used on the farm sometimes.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:10 AM
lets see.... 72,000 miles.
I had to get a new transmission 3 weeks ago and now this one is acting up.
Engine knock which the stealership wont fix unless i pay $1,800 to let them tear it apart and look for the knock.
What else... oo ever since they replaced the transmission ive been hearing a grinding noise for the first few seconds when you turn it on.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Coming up to 90,000

*Around 20,000 had rotors replace -covered under warranty
*60,000 had rear axle seals done - covered " "
*replaced front pads twice - Rears once (tow my travel trailer)
*85,000 replaced both lower ball joints- not covered under warranty,due to my lift per dealership
*86, 000 new battery

2 issues I`m dealing with (purchased truck at 6000) and always had these 2 issues.1 Rear window closes and opens sometimes, some loose wire?
2 bed of truck make a popping when I pull into a drive way.(It`s not
rear or front suspension)

So far so good

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?