'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My window have not failed on me...

Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you find me a car that doesn't have window regulator problems. Top of the line Mercedes even need to be replaced. If you buy a car/truck things break. You must replace them. Sometimes its expensive. To expect a 4-5 year old part to hold up just fine.... your asking a lot. Miles mean nothing on windows. Someone with 200k miles but never uses the windows might be fine, while you at 38k are having problems. Don't want repair bills ? Turn in the truck, turn over the keys, and take public transportation. Please.

How in the world is this a saftey issue ? Your life is not at risk if your window is down. Maybe your pretty hair is, but thats it. No other risk whatsoever.

Why should Ford do a massive recall ? Then they put new/better regulators in, they break over time, and people like you whine and complain saying Ford should pay for it.

I'm sorry troll. Your name, your post. **** and GTFO. You have no idea how vehicles work, or how the car industry opperates. Good luck fella.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
those switchings are garbage We were hunting -20 oC and we could not roll the window up.... that is my buddies 04 f150 flareside fx4

Mine is now acting up on the passenger side here in Saskatchewan they want $106 for the window switch

Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Automakers to do recalls and these window failures falling into doors is nothing short of a HUGE SAFETY HAZARD! Driving down the highway or in traffic and having your window fall and possibly shatter could cause the driver of the vehicle to be distracted and cause an accident, there are numerous reports here and elsewhere about peoples windows falling and shattering in the door while driving, I Have had 2 window failures so far and the second window fell with such force it set my car alarm off and I was not even driving the vehicle! This is a serious Safety Issue that Ford needs to address and do a recall on........
Funniest thing I read all day. Should they also remove radios ? Those can be distracting and cause accidents. How about your gauges ? Those can distract. Your clothes ? Billboards ? Signs ? Trees ? You want to drive in a little bubble ? Nice and safe ? Give me a break. People like you are some of the ones slowly ruining this country. Your the reason "tv dinners" have to say "remove from box before heating". Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by joncouse
those switchings are garbage We were hunting -20 oC and we could not roll the window up.... that is my buddies 04 f150 flareside fx4

Mine is now acting up on the passenger side here in Saskatchewan they want $106 for the window switch
You put a 4-5 year old peice of equipment in some of the harshest conditions and expect no troubles ? Are you kidding me ? Yes, they aren't the best, but thats your problem. Fix it. Why should Ford have to replace everything people break ? Things break. Fix it. Stop whining. If it was a month old, I could understand. Your talking about 5 year old electronics. If they last a year, your off to a good start.

Again, don't want to replace things, public transportation. You would also be better off going with a bones basic vehicle for those conditions. Manual seats. Manual windows. Manual door locks. Buy a truck built for that. Or better yet, BUILD a truck for that.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 01-16-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
calm down MT...the guy is just trolling
Originally Posted by 04WindowFailure
Anyone with a 2004 or 2005 may have already experienced a window regulator Failure on 1 or more windows if not all of them, this is truly a sad situation and Ford will not own up and take responsibility for this Safety Hazard this presents to the Public, I strongly Recommend that anyone who has had Failures call ford Customer Care and the NHTSA and demand they RECALL this item. The Following is from www.carcomplaints.com recommend everyone post their complaints their as well...have owned 2 ford trucks brand new..this will be my last if Ford does not fix this issue at their expense.

Everyone with the Problem needs to file a report with NHTSA, that is the organization that puts pressure on the Automakers to do recalls and these window failures falling into doors is nothing short of a HUGE SAFETY HAZARD! Driving down the highway or in traffic and having your window fall and possibly shatter could cause the driver of the vehicle to be distracted and cause an accident, there are numerous reports here and elsewhere about peoples windows falling and shattering in the door while driving, I Have had 2 window failures so far and the second window fell with such force it set my car alarm off and I was not even driving the vehicle! This is a serious Safety Issue that Ford needs to address and do a recall on........ here is the website to file your complaints, you will need your VIN # for completing the complaint form, Also demand from ford customer care that they replace all of your window regulators with the newest Part # Window Regulator!

Thats right folks, According to the Ford Parts Person I spoke to the other day the window regulator part 3 has changed now 3 times and he stated that Ford NEVER changes the Part # unless there is a physical change to the part and he stated they have had "issues" with these regulators thus the change, he stated that the newest version has been beefed up around the plastic clip that keeps breaking off, hopefully the newest versions have corrected the problem but as you can see just by the fact that Ford has changed the part # 3 times they KNOW about this problem and now they need to fix this safety hazard on all of our windows, I am requesting from Ford that they replace ALL 4 Window Regulators in my vehicle, the 2 that broke and the 2 that eventually will break, my vehicle only has 38,000 miles on it and 50% of the windows should not be inoperable!

Call Ford Customer Care and Demand they FIX this Safety Issue! and File your complaints here with NHTSA! Remember you will need your VIN #

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-..._roll_up.shtml
pathetic...rejoining F150online with a stupid name like that just to blast Ford...wonder what your normal user name is

a falling window is not a safety concern...a annoyance yes...been 100+ with windows down before and I didn't get sucked out the window...and you butt might get wet if it rains before you fix it...that's about all though

Originally Posted by joncouse

take it apart and clean the contacts. they collect dirt/dust/water over the years and the contact gets covered over.

welcome to electronics...especially those that see weather like the ones in our doors

Last edited by Tylus; 01-16-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but the Fact remains the window Regulators in at least the 04 and 05's are junk, of the 6 people I know who own a 2004 or 2005 F150 half of us have had window failures and Ford Refuses to even acknowledge its an issue? Even after they have changed the part # 3 times? with people posting on websites everywhere complaining about this? only someone profiting off the replacement of these parts or a Ford Employee would get so defensive about my post, if you own a 2004 or 2005 F150 then its not a matter of if but when your windows starting falling into your door, whether you are driving it or not so dont leave any valuables in your truck while you are out in town.
obviously you have never owned power windows before. it's a fact of life that they fail

Ford, Toyota, Kia, Mitsubishi, Isuzu...so far that's a list of vehicles that I personally have had window issues with while I owned 'em...got a Dodge in the stable right now that I'm betting 50/50 on for somthing similar

it goes with the territory of owning a luxury such as power windows. don't like it, get a manual crank.

please just quit your bitching. this isn't a widespread problem as you preach it, and it is in no way a safety concern.

btw, Ford doesn't have a conspiracy to rip you off...and I don't own any stock in Ford or their parts supplier. It's just common sense. They design stuff as best as possible, but SH*T happens...especially after 4+ yrs.
you keep harping on the 3 design changes...sounds to me like they've identified a problem and are actively trying to fix it. But I guess them boys in Detroit are just out to steal your money

Wow your a little busy responding to my post, if your driving down the road listening to your radio that is known sound, or a something you expect, your window falling with such force and possibly shattering in your door as some have reported already is a safety Hazard as it could distract the driver and cause them to crash the vehicle, the reports that I have read some folks did not know if they got shot at, or a rock hit the window etc.....its a serious issue and Ford should step up and take some accountability on this issue, I thought it was supposed to built Ford Tough? Except the window Regulators?

The Fact Remains I have 50% of my windows not working and I fully expect the other 2 to fail soon as well with only 39K on my truck now, the first one failed at 37500 miles the second just over 38000 miles, I probably only rolled down that rear window maybe 20 times since I have owned the vehicle and now Ford wants about $400.00 PER WINDOW! to fix it?

Pathetic Customer Service and pretty sad Ford wont back its products on a known Defective Part that most certainly is a Public Safety Hazard! Hope no one gets hurt because of Fords Failure to do what is right and recall this item.
wow, you get all butt hurt about something that minor...hate to see what would happen if something major broke...like a tailgate

feel free to move on with your "supposed" truck. Ford won't miss you honestly...and then I'll laugh while you are cursing your next truck for it's dangerous defective parts...whatever you may create them from

Last edited by Tylus; 01-16-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but the Fact remains the window Regulators in at least the 04 and 05's are junk, of the 6 people I know who own a 2004 or 2005 F150 half of us have had window failures and Ford Refuses to even acknowledge its an issue? Even after they have changed the part # 3 times? with people posting on websites everywhere complaining about this? only someone profiting off the replacement of these parts or a Ford Employee would get so defensive about my post, if you own a 2004 or 2005 F150 then its not a matter of if but when your windows starting falling into your door, whether you are driving it or not so dont leave any valuables in your truck while you are out in town.
Hmmm, what an interesting turn my little thread has taken here. As we all know no one will break into a vehicle that has a solid working regulator that keeps the windows up. If Ford has changed part #'s like you have said, it more then likely has to do with changing suppliers to keep costs under control and not because Ford is "acknowledging a problem".

I'm so sick of whiners like you expecting someone else to fix their problems. When you own a 5+ year old vehicle stuff is gonna break. When it breaks it's going to cost some $$ to fix it, just a fact of life. I've had my F150 for 5 years, bought it brand new and haven't had any problems with the windows. If/when this happens I'll roll my eyes, swear a little about the extra bill I will have to pay that week, buy the part and fix it. I fully expect the sun to rise the next morning. Power windows are just one of those things that are always going to fail at some point because of the conditions they operate in.

Get over it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Apparently you did not click on the links in my last post, apparently the other automakers can have 5+ year old vehicles and still have their windows work but ford cant? Take a little time and review what I posted, any logical thinking person can see this is a huge issue for Ford which they fail to acknowledge, and feel free to call any ford parts guy and ask them when they change a part# it is ONLY because the part has changed physically not because of the supplier.....

I would think F150 owners would want ford to take ownership on this issue and band together to get them to fix it, I guess those who have not had them fail.......Yet are skeptical........wait till theirs fails and I bet the tune changes when they get socked with a $400.00 bill PER window...Hope it aint snowing or raining when yours fails...
Fist of all, if you have such a huge problem with this then start your own thread. Don't hijack mine for the purpose of pushing your agenda.

Second I did click the supplied links and really don't feel that 209 people posting on some obscure website constitutes a huge problem. At least not as big as your trying to make it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Just wanted to see how those old '04's are holding up seeing as they're over 3 years old now and a good deal of them are at or approaching 100K and beyond.

In my case after many trips to the dealer for warranty issues my '04 has become a rock solid rig. Major problems have been limited to replacing the front rotors, calipers and pads for a steering vibe, replacing the clutch pack in the diff, and replacing the metal fuel line from the filter to the engine due to a leak.

Less serious issues have been rear axle seals, drivers window switch cluster, cam phasers and the recall to remove the butyl pad. Thankfully no other engine issues and zero tranny trouble. I tow a 6000lb camper every weekend in the summer and it always gets me to my destination. The 5.4 could use more grunt for pulling, it gets rolling fine but when trying to merge and get up to speed even 50 more ponies would make a difference. Turning OD off and using first and second gear does improve how the F150 moves a load, especially in the hills.

I could go on but I want to hear from the rest of you, this will be the thread to air your feelings about your truck. Both good and bad.
Well, mine's holding up well I guess... Although I've only had it for a week and haven't even put gas in it yet.
Only 22k on it and not even a parking lot dimple or anything. I did notice a weeping of the rear end while checking it out in the garage when I bought it, last week. I guess I just need to make sure it's full cuz it's not dripping, just a stain residue that will oil/grime stain your fingers if you wipe it.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 PM
There are ALOT of vehicles, both new and slightly used, that are on the road that have ALOT more serious problems than regulators failing. If that is the worst thing that I have to worry about failing on my truck then I will be a happy man. Also I wonder why there are more complaints of problems with our trucks than others brands? Maybe because there are more of our trucks on the road than any other brand?!?!

BTW, I have a 04 with 44000miles and a neighbor has over 140000 on his 04 and neither one of us have had any problems what so ever with our windows. Could the regulator fail tomorrow, sure it could but I am not going to stop useing my widows because of it. If it breaks I will fix it, plain and simple. Things break, nothing is bullet proof.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Window regulator failure is a common problem for all the manufactures not just ford & the F150 and its just as expensive if not more for the other makes to get repaired. Knock on wood mine are all fine but then again my 05 only has 15,000 miles on it.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 PM
2004 F150 Screw 78K still going strong, i am amazed with how good this pickup has been. no major problems, just maintenance and i use it like a pickup.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:49 PM
the only major things i have had to do to my truck was replace the fuel pump. i had the extended warranty so out of pocket cost was only $100. other than that the truck has been running strong.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
replaced drivers side regulator, passenger cv shaft (my fault) , and the motor.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?