Lightning

Me and a SRT 10 on I 88 !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me and a SRT 10 on I 88 !!!!!!!

This is long but worth it!!!!!!

Well im getting on the express way and what pulls up along side of me but......... you guessed it the Viper truck! I couldnt believe it was the real thing. I got behind him and looked it over and it sure looked and sounded like it. Well he makes a move to pass and sure enough i see it has some *****. Well boys i couldnt let this opportunity slip away so off i go to see what this things got. But before i go any further i want to say this ........DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
Ok so i get around him (still checking it out.....he notices to) and he gets behind me and starts getting all over my azz. Were in the middle lane and I see the three cars in the right lane are all turning on the off ramp. He notices this also and is slowly moving over to cut me off and go as soon as those cars merge right. SORRY he wasnt going to pull that off today, tomorrow or the next day. The cars merged and so did i with my foot through the fire wall. He was on it also and i was leaving him. The best part about it is I'm STOCK!
Anyway after some more weaving around through traffic i realize it aint what its cracked up to be. Yea its fast, but it isnt a Viper. I ran a Viper once from a 45-50 roll I was slowly pulling on him untill he down shifted and put his foot in it. I was smoked big time! This truck is no where near that.
So now i want to see what hes got out of the hole. I mean to tell ya if we had some open road where we could wind it up i would have out ran him.
I start to wave him into the toll both, wasnt sure if he had I-Pass. He then cuts out from behind me weaves through some traffic and sure enough i see him pull back over to go into the toll both. YES.......Now im excited
He gets in one pay lane and i get in the other. As i pull up i see his window is down so i stop and ask him if thats the real McCoy. He tells me it is and that there not out untill November, but he works for the dealer and thats why he's driving one.
Now heres what really frost my nuts! Just before he moves behind the toll shack he says " you might want to up grade" I thought why you little mother.......
He pays the toll girl and takes off. I went out of my way to follow this bone smoker and get him at a light but traffic was heavy and he finally turned off into a gas station and i gave up trying to make him eat his words. (its only a matter of time)

Look I dont race around in this kinda traffic guys, but damn i new you all would want to know And after this i wont do it again unless we have clear sailing. Its to dangerous. But if this is all those trucks have why waste the gas.
You guys with mods..........your gona have fun

Old 05-16-2003, 08:38 PM
just like the ricers and other *******s, they're jealos and mad that what you got is better.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:50 PM
where in warrenville Il do you live? I am in Plainfield. near Joliet and Naperville... thanks, Shane

Old 05-16-2003, 09:03 PM
I used to live right off of RT 59 Shane. Just north of butterfield rd. Ive since moved.
You might just run into this guy yourself. If you do.... finish what i started

Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 PM
What color was this POS? I'm in the same area as Shane. Maybe I should go RT hunting this weekend

Old 05-16-2003, 10:47 PM
It is red. Has the wing. Hood has the scoop. Im not sure what type of brake calipers their using but i didnt see any color thru the wheels. The exhaust exits out the rear but two pipes side by side on the right.
Some of you may already know this stuff but other than TV or magazines ive never seen one in person until today.
Like i said when it came up next to me i thought it was just a lowered ram, until i took a second look. Kinda did the double take. Look casually look back then the brain says hey ive seen that truck before and you turn quickly to make sure your not seeing things.
I followed him into Aurora but who knows all the employees may be taking turns driving it home for a night. I wish i would have asked him what dealer he was from. HaHa .... there would probably be half a dozen lightnings cruzing around that dealership at 5:30

Old 05-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Thumbs up

Great kill story!!!

I must admit that I think our greatest weapon against the new SRT10's will be.....our transmission!! Yep...that's right...the good ole' 4R100. Those trucks will most likely have mid to high 400's rear wheel torque...and no weight above the rear wheels...not to mention 20" rims with super low profile tires...it is going to take a VERY skilled driver to launch one without blowing the tires off. On top of that...I have that same tremec t-56 transmission in my 2000 WS6 T/A...I don't care what shifter you put on it...the throws are loooong. So...while the SRT-10 is smoking his tires and reaching to the moon to grab a gear...our L's will be hooked, electronically shifting and boosting their way to thrashing a $50,000 truck.

Last edited by Mike's02Bolt; 05-16-2003 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:10 PM
AMEN!!!

Old 05-16-2003, 11:22 PM
You know what now that you mention the tranny, when he left the toll both he was on it pretty hard. I did hear alittle chirp when he went into second but to tell you the truth im not sure it was a manual trans. I know there supposed to have a six speed stick right? Well even when he turned off into that gas station it didnt sound like he was down shifting.
I may not have been paying to close attention though as i was kinda pissed he didnt let me get him at a light.

It did have the 20's on it

Old 05-16-2003, 11:23 PM
I enjoyed your kill story! Makes me proud!

Old 05-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Or maybe 22's . They were big honkin wheels. Almost to big!

Old 05-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Sawzall....everything I have read states that all SRT-10's will come with the same tremec t-56 tranny pirated out of the Viper parts bin. As far as I have seen there will be no auto for those trucks.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Not doubting your story but nobody can tell me that a stock lightning is faster than a 500 H.P. Dodge.
There had to be some unknown to you.

Keep dreaming guys.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Stormyday
Not doubting your story but nobody can tell me that a stock lightning is faster than a 500 H.P. Dodge.
There had to be some unknown to you.

Keep dreaming guys.
Driver for driver and stock for stock....I would tell you that the Mopar should win every time. In the real world, however, two equally matched drivers in equal machines rarely meet up.

What I am saying is that the SRT-10 is like a fine tuned sniper rifle capable of hitting a man size target at a 1,000 meters...a well built and very capable tool....but it could never hit that target without a well trained marksman pulling the trigger. The rifle is capable of doing that...but without the skill of the man it is useless.

Our L's will be easier to race and hold their own against the Dodge because we don't have to worry about shifting...its foot to the firewall and hang on!! The Mopar driver is going to have to work at beating the L...if he misses a shift or drops his clutch to fast...the L will be making big boost and showing some tail lights.

Last edited by Mike's02Bolt; 05-17-2003 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Stormyday,
Sorry guy!! Better get used to hearing this. I have a friend who is an engineer at the chrysler tech center. That 500hp engine is in a very heavy truck. 5000. lbs curb weight.

Add driver and gas. Do the math. It needed a 500hp engine and 500ft.lbs of torque to get that slug into Lightning teritory. They can't get it to hook and it's a 13.7-14.0 1/4 mile truck on stock rubber. Depending on how good the driver is.

I don't care how much hp you have. If you can't get it to the pavement it's a waste of $$$ and 1/4 mile clock keeps ticking!

This truck is no Viper. Ford has an answer for this truck to really put it to shame. Lights out on a truck that almost was, It never had a chance out of the gate.

My L did 13.53 in the 1/4 100% stock. Dodge missed their mark and hear internally, Management is pi$$ed. Dodge can't make up 10Yrs of SVT's experience with just a Viper powertrain. It's going to take more time to knock Ford's BIG dog off the pi$$ing tree!!

Have a nice weekend.

Last edited by Thor01; 05-17-2003 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Me and a SRT 10 on I 88 !!!!!!!