Lightning

Me and a SRT 10 on I 88 !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want to post in here...it's been awhile...I work at Chrysler(previous L owner, so I take a peek every so often). As far as I know, we do NOT have any outside the Detroit area yet. Not to say it's impossible, but that's my 2 cents . On another note, we do have a handful running around headquarters (Auburn Hills) and the drivers DO tend to drive them pretty outragious on the streets when testing. In fact, they have a few lightnings that tend to come in and out of our Featherstone road complex where the PVO team resides. I spoke with a few of the drivers, and they are pretty confident in how it will fair.

Old 05-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Guys if you read my post i said it was fast! It wasnt a lowered ram, or poser. It was a SRT-10. The only reason i did a dbl take was i new the release date was later in the year.
It had guts, i didnt blow his doors off! i pulled away from him.

Thor is right. This truck is a big heavy looking dump truck. My truck next to his made me feel like he was in a four wheeler. So what.... it has 500 horse. That dosent mean it cant be beat!
When i was younger i had a Olds 88 2 door with a 455 in it. Car ran fast. But it was a boat! I got beat by lighter vehicles with smaller motors. Besides the fact i couldnt keep rear tires on it. It just wouldnt launch without lighting up the bolonies. Had a 67 Fairlane ragtop GTA with a 390 and a 2 barrel carb....A 2BRL CARB... Car would do a smoke show from a 40 mile roll. Geez im living my past now trying to make you believe me.......crazy!

My point is motor isnt everything. How many times do i see posts about a ricer running 11 or 10 sec. You think they dropped a 500 horse viper motor in there to run those times?

Further more I think he new his azz was handed to him and he really didnt want a show down at a light. I would have even stayed on the toll road until traffic would have cleared to let it all hang out till there was no more. But like i said he turned off (and even then i followed him) but then he hit the gas station. I didnt want him to think i was anywhere even interested in that truck so i kept going. Especially after his smart azz coment. And thats not a lie im not interested! As far as im concernd i have the fastest production truck. Dodge knows it now also.

Old 05-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Congrats on the kill. I haven't really read up on them, i just know they have a viper engine, and are predicted to be the new king of street trucks (until the 04/05 L's hit )

Old 05-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Sawzall:

Your story is believeable to me.

Now if you said you raced a 60's black Lincoln with 4 men in black suits and dark sunglasses at 2am and the Lincoln sundenly
glowed blue and took off into the sky that would be a tad bit
difficult to buy...BTW I was abducted by one of those Lincolns
late one night in south ga...

Old 05-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
Mike: I liked your analogy but I know you know you "squeeze" the trigger, not "pull" it:

without a well trained marksman pulling the trigger

Dan
Lightninrod....point taken...forgive my momentary laps of reason!!!

Glad you like the analogy!!

To all....regardless of how you may feel about the validity of Sawzall's kill story...the truth of the matter still boils down to the fact that without a very, very skilled driver behind the wheel of the Dodge the average L owner will be able to walk an SRT-10 driver from a dead stop.

Old 05-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by B-townL
I just want to post in here...it's been awhile...I work at Chrysler(previous L owner, so I take a peek every so often). As far as I know, we do NOT have any outside the Detroit area yet. Not to say it's impossible, but that's my 2 cents . On another note, we do have a handful running around headquarters (Auburn Hills) and the drivers DO tend to drive them pretty outragious on the streets when testing. In fact, they have a few lightnings that tend to come in and out of our Featherstone road complex where the PVO team resides. I spoke with a few of the drivers, and they are pretty confident in how it will fair.
Sounds to me like Auburn Hills would be a great place for an L convention

Old 05-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sporkdevil
Sounds to me like Auburn Hills would be a great place for an L convention
I second that.

--patrick

Old 05-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Mike's02Bolt
Lightninrod....point taken...forgive my momentary laps of reason!!!

Glad you like the analogy!!

To all....regardless of how you may feel about the validity of Sawzall's kill story...the truth of the matter still boils down to the fact that without a very, very skilled driver behind the wheel of the Dodge the average L owner will be able to walk an SRT-10 driver from a dead stop.
100% agreed. Thing is he didn't walk him from a dead stop. Even if it is a couple hundred pounds heavier, with a 120 HP and 75 ft. lb. advantage, on the freeway should be to the SRT's advantage. However, maybe they don't really make the numbers that Dodge claims.

Jody

Old 05-17-2003, 06:57 PM
First off, I believe the story. I just dug out my April 03 Car and Driver which has a test report on the new 03 Viper.

Curb Weight = 3390
Horsepower = 500 @ 5600
Torque= 525 @ 4200
Bore x Stroke = 4.03 X 3.96

0-60 4.1 sec.
1/4 mile = 12.2 @ 119.6

Now if we were to add about 1,600 pounds to the Viper what would you guys guess the new 1/4 mile time would be?

My Guess is about an extra 1/10 per hundred pounds.
12.2 + 16(.1)= 13.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile for the new all conquering Dodge truck. Fast? Yes. Faster than the L? No.

As mentioned before the Dodge will have to overcome its stick shift and less low end torque (L = 450 @ 3,250). Dodge boys good luck, you will need it!

Last edited by REDHOTL3; 05-17-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by hk4site
It looks liuke this is a dodge truck made to look like a viper truck. If it had MFG plates then maybe, but test drivers do not race there mules down the interstate.
You certainly don't live in Michigan, do you?!

Old 05-18-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Stormyday
Not doubting your story but nobody can tell me that a stock lightning is faster than a 500 H.P. Dodge.
There had to be some unknown to you.

Keep dreaming guys.
The numbers Dodge has preliminary tossed out on the new truck are pretty much a wash with a stock lightning... you think they could utilize that extra 120hp a little better? Heh heh!

Old 05-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Stock for stock they may have the L. But you put $ 2,000 in mods to both and it's over, the Dodge is getting it's headlights sucked out.

Everything on the Viper motor is expensive. you can't get the gains on V-10 as much as you can on the SC 5.4 for the same dollar.

6#, chip, cold air and I was running 13.0 @ 106 with bald F1's. If you figure that SRT-10 can run 13.6 @ 103. A chip and cold air will make us even. But after that, it's over. Try buying long tubes for that thing!!!

I'll be running my low 12's after a couple of more mods and I'll be waiting with my drag radials for a SRT-10.

Old 05-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Auburn Hills

Where exactly is this pvo at? I have a few days off this week and I just renewed my hunting license this week! I don't mind wasting a tank of gas for that kinda opportunity.

Old 05-18-2003, 11:27 PM
I didn't think the new SRT dakotas were even out yet.

Old 06-06-2003, 02:46 AM

Quick Reply: Me and a SRT 10 on I 88 !!!!!!!