Changed Spark Plugs, DIRT???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed Spark Plugs, DIRT???

I changed the spark plugs in my 4.6L today. I tried to blow out the dirt as much as possible.

I believe that some dirt got down the plug hole inside the motor. A couple of the holes were hard to even get a lot of air down them. I would assume that it just blew out the exhaust, I hope I did not damage my cylinder walls.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't everything from that area go directly out the exhaust manifold....

Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe... Some. Damage is done right away, -after firing it up. Sand grains/dirt and metal shavings are the worst thing to leave in the cylinders. Cylinder walls, pistons, rings, valves and seats all take a hit. Just once and it will never be the same.

You have to clean the plug chambers out very well. Compressed air and a fairly long pick to break it up along the bottom. - I vacuum out the cylinders anyway before installing a plug. It's easy , only takes a second or two.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Yea. During the R&R of my swap I made a small rubber hose attachment to my vacuum to clean out the cylinders. Even though I blew them all out and cleaned them as best as possible before removing the plugs. There was sand present just about everywhere on the engine I bought so I took every precaution to make sure not a single grain was left behind. I'm with jbrew and say that damage can happen even with the smallest of particles. May not be immediate catastrophic damage but more of a long term effect. Take the extra time next time and clean them out better with a small scraper or pick.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Maybe... Some. Damage is done right away, -after firing it up. Sand grains/dirt and metal shavings are the worst thing to leave in the cylinders. Cylinder walls, pistons, rings, valves and seats all take a hit. Just once and it will never be the same.

You have to clean the plug chambers out very well. Compressed air and a fairly long pick to break it up along the bottom. - I vacuum out the cylinders anyway before installing a plug. It's easy , only takes a second or two.
Engine seems to be running fine. I have always ran full synthetic oil since the first oil change.

I would think that considering how much, being a few grains of sand in a couple of the cylinders would not do much damage. Wouldn't it just blow out the exhaust??? I tried to blow out the cylinders as much as possible but when I pulled out the plugs there was some sand on the threads of the old plugs so I would assume that a little sand went down into the heads....

Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
Yea. During the R&R of my swap I made a small rubber hose attachment to my vacuum to clean out the cylinders. Even though I blew them all out and cleaned them as best as possible before removing the plugs. There was sand present just about everywhere on the engine I bought so I took every precaution to make sure not a single grain was left behind. I'm with jbrew and say that damage can happen even with the smallest of particles. May not be immediate catastrophic damage but more of a long term effect. Take the extra time next time and clean them out better with a small scraper or pick.
you guys are not making me feel any better. Now I feel like I will be replacing my engine shortly....I have 40K on the truck. I only changed the plugs because the truck sits so much. I drove it a lot the first year I bought it but only drive it about a few thousand miles a year now at most...Considering how much money I just put in it with the lift, tires and gears putting a new motor in is just not in the cards....

Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 AM
I think it will be fine. It should suck it up in the exhaust stroke. But no one will know for sure. I know i had alittle sand in #8 on my truck when i changed the plugs i blew most of it out but it was so hard to get to and i didnt have compressed air. I probly didnt get all of it. I havent noticed any difference still runs perfect. Im sure as long as its not metal shavings and rocks it will be alright. The 4.6 is a strong motor. Dont worry about it we all make mistakes just remember to blow out the holes next time.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by steven'sf1504x4
I think it will be fine. It should suck it up in the exhaust stroke. But no one will know for sure. I know i had alittle sand in #8 on my truck when i changed the plugs i blew most of it out but it was so hard to get to and i didnt have compressed air. I probly didnt get all of it. I havent noticed any difference still runs perfect. Im sure as long as its not metal shavings and rocks it will be alright. The 4.6 is a strong motor. Dont worry about it we all make mistakes just remember to blow out the holes next time.
It was probably me being paranoid. I did read a few other posts about the plugs blowing out of the motor.

So this morning I pulled all of the COP's. There was not any dirt down them, I blew them out with compressed air and pulled the plugs out and I am glad that I did. There was a couple that were a little loose, one plug I could turn out without a ratchet, just was hand tight.

I wiped all of the antiseaze off of the plugs, now I can see why people say not to use it. . I then inserted some vacuum line attached to a shop vac down the holes just to make sure that there was nothing in there. I put some dielectric grease in the COP and around the top of it where it meets the head to attempt to keep a little dirt out of the holes.

I have it down to a science now, I can get the COP's and Plugs out and back in in about 1.25 hours. I am planning on pulling the COP's again in a few months to check the torque of the plugs. I am always just a little gentle tighting the plugs in an aluminum head. I did wrench them a little more this time so they do not loosen up.

Is there a torque spec? I would assume this is how the plugs blow out of the motor, they loosen a little and then when only a few threads are remaining they blow out...Hate aluminum...

Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM
28ft/lbs dry and you wont have any issues.

Last edited by Toyz; 08-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Toyz
28ft/lbs dry and you wont have any issues.
I thought it was like 15ft/pounds...I just hand tightened them. I just put a little more than normal pressure....I am tired of being paranoid about these damn plugs...

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

At least 28' lbs or they'll just blow out on yuh. Don't use anti-seize. These are 5 thread aluminum heads, - it's imperative that this be done correctly.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 PM
At least 28' lbs or they'll just blow out on yuh. Don't use anti-seize. These are 5 thread aluminum heads, - it's imperative that this be done correctly.
OK, I just went and bought a torque wrench, I took the COP's off and torqued everything to 28 FT/Pounds....I am done, I am not going to be paranoid anymore....LOL...

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by jerhelo
OK, I just went and bought a torque wrench, I took the COP's off and torqued everything to 28 FT/Pounds....I am done, I am not going to be paranoid anymore....LOL...
Do you have the 2v or 3v 4.6 ?

Old 08-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by steven'sf1504x4
Do you have the 2v or 3v 4.6 ?
I am not sure, it is an 06 4.6L. Does that matter???

Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM

It matters. You need to fill your info in, -top right corner. That way you won't get the wrong info. We don't know what your driving lol.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 PM
It matters. You need to fill your info in, -top right corner. That way you won't get the wrong info. We don't know what your driving lol.
I have the 4 speed transmission so I would assume it is a 2 Valve. I believe that it how to tell, I could not see any labels and the window sticker does not dictate it.

It is a 2006, 4.6L Flareside regular cab STX 4x4, Procomp 6" stage 2, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N CAI, Superchip with CAI mod, 4.56 G2 gears, 35" tires....

Quick Reply: Changed Spark Plugs, DIRT???