Any one order a battery on the web?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm
Yup, we covered that already.
Maybe we should cover it a third time?

I got curious after my last post so I did a Google search on "surface charge battery" and came up with a whole bunch of hits, mainly in articles or "how tos" for battery maintenance. They all refer to the need to let surface charge dissipate before testing a battery and in one of them I got the impression it might have been a capacitive effect inside the battery - on its plates. Naturally, these sources were not concerned with why or how surface charge occurs, only that it had to be eliminated for a meaningful battery test.

As I said, I was not trying to start fights but was only trying to make sure kingcrete understood what he was looking at when he saw the battery voltage he reported. You explained that better than I did, by the way.

- Jack

Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
Since the battery cases have changed, it is no longer an issue to set batteries directly on a concrete floor anymore.....not since about 1998 (depending on mfg and when they eliminated the old cases)
Unless lightning happens to strike close enough - been there before. I was running a Road Grader in 93. Cutting grade next to some pretty fresh curb that was pored recently. Lightning hit the curb about 30 feet from my machine and it blew up. Concrete rained down on the Machine while I was sh^ting my pants - Lightning struck again, stripping the bark off a sh^t f^ck tree beside me.

When the dust cleared (it wasn't raining yet), - The tree was naked and the concrete had been removed from the metal re-rod that ran thru the center of the curbing. We replaced 4 sections of curb after - 12' sections ..

I drove home that day reflecting upon my past...

Why am I telling you'all this ? Hell Iduuno ??

Well anyway, I charged a Motocraft battery I had sitting around in the shop for a few years, last Friday. It's been sitting on concrete since then and it's been holding a charge. Checked it with the Fluke about 2 hours ago and got a reading 12.80 volts. It's a smaller type Motorcraft, but says it has 850 cold cranking amps.. I 'm surprised, - I guess it's still good. ?

Last edited by jbrew; 12-02-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Wrote "and" twice -
Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you need to do a load test on it J

but yes, it sounds promising

Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM

What's up Patrick ? - I already have a Red Top

But yea, I know a load test would some it up..

Mann, I miss my 98, I gottuh get working on her. I already missed one heavy snow ... Most my parts came today, one more delivery tommorow! - Ahh, just brake parts ..

Last edited by jbrew; 12-02-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Maybe we should cover it a third time?

I got curious after my last post so I did a Google search on "surface charge battery" and came up with a whole bunch of hits, mainly in articles or "how tos" for battery maintenance. They all refer to the need to let surface charge dissipate before testing a battery and in one of them I got the impression it might have been a capacitive effect inside the battery - on its plates. Naturally, these sources were not concerned with why or how surface charge occurs, only that it had to be eliminated for a meaningful battery test.

As I said, I was not trying to start fights but was only trying to make sure kingcrete understood what he was looking at when he saw the battery voltage he reported. You explained that better than I did, by the way.

- Jack
Are you starting fights Jack? Troublemaker!

Kidding of course

Last edited by jbrew; 12-02-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Any one order a battery on the web?