Any one order a battery on the web?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
cool post count btw. 11,111

You could always throw a crappy walmart battery in it for now, and then wait to come down here so i can hook you up on a yellowtop

Old 11-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The yellow is a deep cycle. Great if you're expecting to run a bunch of off road lights, a winch, a ghetto blasting subwoofers & amps, and/or rig up your truck with more electronics than a police car. I would consider it also since I have an underdrive pulley. However, the red has more cold cranking amps and that is important. Especially in cold climates. I've been thinking of a battery isolator, a red top for starting the car, and a yellow top for all the auxiliary items.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew

Optima's are expensive Patrick - Yea even more so to ship
Amazon.com offers free shipping.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

ive also run my stereo all night.

This little gadget will solve those problems.

PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax

Specifications

NEW for 2005 & 2006:

Redesigned Drive Gear System
Redesigned Circuit Board and Computer Chip
High Voltage �Spike� Surge Protection

PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax is specially designed for Fleet, Law Enforcement, Utility, Emergency, and Security vehicles. It monitors battery voltage when key is off, detects and automatically disconnects any drain on battery while maintaining starting power and protecting the battery and alternator from damage. Automatically reconnects by simply operating the headlight switch or stepping on the brake pedal. By installing PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax many departments are realizing, as much as 75% savings in the reduction of lost man-hours and down time because battery related problems.

As electronics take over more and more of automotive vehicle operations, voltage spikes are an increasing problem. Transient voltage �spikes� can cause damage to computers, 2-way radios, MDT equipment, cameras, and other electrical equipment. PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax now has voltage �spike� protection.

Available configurations to fit any 12 or 24-volt application. No hard wiring or bolting. No buttons or switches to push. Transferable. Totally automatic!

The more demand you place on a battery the more protection is needed to prevent it from dying prematurely. This innovative product meets the demands of multiple accessories on fleet vehicle.

Often multiple accessories mimic �engine run.� The PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax is specially designed to handle multiple accessory loads, utilizing higher value electrical components to monitor �engine run� when the engine is off. PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax is successfully being used in vehicles with:

2 Way/CB Radios

Radar Systems

Cameras

Cell phones

Computers

Flashlight Chargers

Mobile Equipment

Dual Batteries

GPS

Digger/Derricks

Vehicles utilizing GPS systems, 2 way/CB radios, computers, lifts or other high amp accessories that are �LIVE� at all times especially NEED the PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax unit to protect the battery .

The �engine run� circuitry is a patented safety feature on the PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax to prevent the unit from disconnecting your battery while the engine is running (while the vehicle is on the road, etc.)

Circuits within the unit recognize an �engine running� condition by sensing electrical �noise� (30 millivolts) created by fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fan motors, etc., and will not disconnect the vehicle battery.

(If a vehicle alternator or alternator belt fails, the �engine running� circuitry recognizes the condition and prevents disconnection at the 11.7-volt threshold. This allows the vehicle engine to continue running on the reserve capacity of the battery. In such a situation you are entirely dependent on the reserve capacity of the battery. PriorityStart! 12-Volt ProMax will not disconnect the battery as long as the engine is running.)

Pro-Series circuitry is modified with heavier duty capacitors and other electrical component to filter out the �electronic noise� created by multiple accessories.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
This little gadget will solve those problems.
maybe you misread my post, i was saying that i was listening to my radio the whole time.... My radio will shut off if the voltage drops too low too

Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im gonna have 2 Optima Yellow tops for my truck when i get it done. 3 Air compressers can suck some juce.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That Priority Start seems extreme, but cool. - I doubt I would ever need it tho. A good battery will do it for me..

Red is better for starting? More cold cranking amps than the Yellow? WTF - Can't they make one that does it all???

Last edited by jbrew; 11-26-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 AM
I've got a Red top in my 64, cranks that old 514 ci engine over no problems. Too much drain and not enough running it to re-charge makes for problems though. I recharged slowly and now it's good again. They don't like to sit these Optima's and I've been told they can't sit on a trickle charge past it's green light per say. Once it's done, disconnect. If you use it constant, you'll be laughin. I've got zero problems with Motorcraft (nov.99 to dec.06) was my first before it went belly up. Interstates great too.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:44 AM

What's up Blue? Hey this pic reminds of you for some reason ?

It must be those Carquest Blues in back ground

Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
That Priority Start seems extreme, but cool. - I doubt I would ever need it tho. I good battery will do it for me..

Red is better for starting? More cold cranking amps than the Yellow? WTF - Can't they make one that does it all???
jbrew - I'm going to disagree slightly with an earlier post. A deep cycle battery IS designed to better withstand the demands put on it by deep discharging and then recharging, but it is not going to be "like new" after several of these events. ALL batteries do best if kept at or near full charge all the time.

I think possibly a "deep discharge" battery may have more space between the plates which allows more distortion to occur before battery failure. This of course reduces the total plate volume which reduces the cranking amp potential. Deep discharging causes accelerated plate geometry distortion.

Or, am I totally out to lunch on all this? I remember back when I was a "youngster" in the late 50's, our batteries would always fail by getting progressively weaker and weaker. We never saw a "sudden failure" like we see now - we always had plenty of warning. The plate separation in those batteries was MUCH wider than what we have now and the corresponding cranking power was much lower.

- Jack

Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had to replace the Interstate battery that was in the truck when I bought it in 2001 last year. So it gave me 6 years of service, plus however long it was in the truck before I got it. It might have been brand new, because the dealer replaced the original starter before putting it on the lot....

I also had to replace the starter at the same time?? Humm.... Coincidence? Who knows.... I replaced it with another Interstate.

The Optima's are the 'gel' kind, right? So, you can turn the thing upside down and it'll work. I think that's where the advantage goes to the O's because they make for a good off road battery, where they can take the abuse of offroad and such...

Just put an Interstate in the wifes 2003 Rav4 replacing the OEM battery.. So the OEM only lasted 5 years.

I run the deep cycle batteries on the trailer and I'm still using the 2002 Delco Voyager that came with it in addition to a Trojan 150 that I got about 3 years ago. Both are Group 24 batteries. Believe it or not, but the Delco is stronger then the Trojan! I've got one of these hand held battery load testers and the delco tests out better then the Trojan every time.... I've never ran out of battery power on the trailer while 'boondocking' (without electric plug in on the trailer) for up to 4 days of use (water pump, lights, furnace!)

Anyway, I digress....

But, I've had good luck with Bosch spark plugs...... So maybe I'm just a mutant!

Mitch

Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Is battery type & branding turning into one of those motor oil debates?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 PM
What's up Blue? Hey this pic reminds of you for some reason ?

It must be those Carquest Blues in back ground
does the blue paint add hp??

Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Faster150
does the blue paint add hp??

I DO NOT paint drum shoes

Those are Blues , that's how they come from the factory. There disc pads use to come the same way, well their 2 year pads did. Lifetimes were Gold. Now there all Black..

Everything in the braking system has been replaced except the rear cylinders - they should be here Monday. I'm hoping I get this truck to stop better, it really sucks when I pulling a load. I just ran all new brake lines/ new hoses/ new Master Cylinder/ Calipers and Brembo Rotors are only a couple years old if that. Only thing I haven't changed is the Booster, but that checks out.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 PM

What battery , - You ever regret asking a question.. -Oh brother. Well I have two Motorcrafts that I pulled out of diesel 2 years ago.. Maybe I'll see if they will hold a charge for now until I figure this out - It's going to be awhile anyway, I have the motor tore down now.. - That fuel tank had allot of dirt in it, glad I caught that . My pump tests good...

Good posts guys, glad your chiming in.. Yea Jack, batteries aren't what they were in the past, fortunately I haven't had one just die on me yet.

And Mitch - A "Mutant" ? You might be on to something there - I think Bosch would stop making plugs for these things if you were to give in..

Quick Reply: Any one order a battery on the web?