4r70w options

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
builder confirms what ive already found, wiring = good, solenoid = good. what he's done since then, i dont know.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
builder confirms what ive already found, wiring = good, solenoid = good. what he's done since then, i dont know.
I got a whole lotta not much for you long distance unfortunately.

That code is for a shift solenoid 2 failure. What it is telling you is that during the sweep the comuter does on the circuits that it is sensing no voltage drop across the circuit for that solenoid.

This is going to sound kinda dumb, but check for a ground that is shorted to ground. The computer provides positive voltage at all times to the solenoids and turns them on with a switched ground. It's kind of the exact opposite of what people are used to and gets missed in diagnosis a LOT.

Darrin

Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 AM
well thats what i did do. i checked the pin inside the trans for short to ground. nothing.

checked the wiring to pcm for short to ground, nothing.

leaves me baffled. in a couple hours im gonna call the builder see what he finds.

doesnt sound like anything mechanically causing this problem to me. but then i couldnt find a electrical problem.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen the problem twice on these trucks where the wiring comes near the egr tube getting melted. It would be worth looking at.
Alan

Old 07-30-2008, 03:30 AM
alan, i seen your other posts about this. BUT i thought you also mentioned this is normally accompanied with a blown fuse and more than just that one code?

Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
No actually I have never seen a blown fuse to accompany it. One of the trucks had multiple codes, the other had only this code. It really depends on what waires and how many wires melted. It may not be your problem but it is definately easy to figure out. The harness on the 97 I did could be disconnected under the hood so it can be pulled out completely.
Alan

Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM
alan i'll check that out after i figure out whats going on with the other end of the truck. for some reason shut down is NOT the same as when i left it with the trans builder. now i shut the truck off, key off, and it idles for 3 secs then cuts to 500 then off.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
i give up on the overrun issue, dont make sense. anyrate, the trans neutrals out after 2nd. will not hit 3rd or 4th. now it is not throwing codes and i tried. i ran through 1st n 2nd numerous times in 5 mins trying to get 3rd to shift but only getting it to neutral out.
every local person i've called laughed and told me thats mechanical nothing electrical in their mind would cause this neutral out effect. i would appreciate more opinions other than these local guys.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM
harness is fine, even where its close to manifold...

i still do not understand why the hell if i get on it hard enough the motor is cut out? why the ignitions cut out?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
The reason why I re-built my tranny was it went straight from 2nd to neutral. If you backed off the throttle it would slow back down enough and pop back into 2nd. My tranny guy told me it was a broken 2-3 accumulator spring. Now I'm not saying you have a broken spring (yours should be brand new) but maybe it was missed during the build or the valve it controls is binding.

I sure wish I knew more about tranny's to help you out. I'm gonna try giving my buddy (the tranny guy) a call back home tomorrow and see if he has any ideas.

good luck!

Quick question, do you go through the gears manually, or do you put it in OD and go?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:46 AM
i tried both methods, no change in end result. no 3/4 engagement.

my only recollection was on initial startup i heard a pop as soon as the motor fired. i thought it was just my exhaust ringing. im having second thoughts lol

i got to talk to a few people today, one told me straight up that it should NOT hold 2nd until 65mph like ive described.

i also been informed the f4 trans housing i seem to have been given is paper weight... im really not pleased with this guy now that i've learned he's given me an inferior housing and kept my decent one.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The problem isn't just with the housing. The 94 and 95 transmissions were just honestly inferior to later models in general.

Sorry to hear about your luck with this.

Darrin

Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I know the tranny guy is slow, but it seems like the answer to this problem is reliant on him. I would tell him you want your housing back, especially if he try's to tell you it's scrap.

I would see if he will pull out the tranny and deal with it for all your grief, but if he tells you it'll take a while, pull it again yourself and throw it on his doorstep and tell him you need this resolved.

I know it sounds easier than it actually is but if tells you he was going to give you warranty, he should be checking his work.

Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 PM
if im pulling the tranny again its going to take me the week to do it lol. i already told rod this has to be a trans build problem of some kind, since 2 pcm's allow this to happen and the wiring harness is in great shape.

like joey said in my thread in engines, im gonna demand a longer warranty now that this happened.

darrin thanks for reminding me that the 94/95's are inferior all around, is there any literature i can read online comparing a 94 to a 97+? id love to print that out and give it to him as my reason on top of his dropped ball.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
dont want u guys being left out

Quick Reply: 4r70w options