Ordering Roush I/C with Custom Tunes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering Roush I/C with Custom Tunes...

Some of you may remember me from about 6 years back. I used to be on this website 3 hours a day it seemed..LOL!! I sold my 04 5.4L RCSB back in 2007 when I went to Japan.

Anyway, last year I purchased my fathers 2004 F150 Lariat. It's a 2WD, extended cab (not crewcab) solid black, leather seats, Audiophile, 3.55, 60K miles...etc. He purchased it new in 2004 and he is meticulous with his vehicles, waxed every weekend, clockwork maintenance...it is literally LIKE NEW. I currently have the Edge Evo, S&B intake, and Magnaflow exhaust on the truck.

Well, I have the money outright and Im purchasing the Roush I/C kit with custom tunes from Troyer. I dealt with Troyer before and had amazing results. We got my naturally aspirated 04 RCSB 5.4L into the 8's in the 1/8th mile with some good bolts ons and great tunes.

So, my question is, with my current set-up (of course excluding the removal of the CAI and Edge), what numbers and power can I expect? I know a few others around here have a simliar set up, but have a few other mods too. Im basically going to be Roush I/C, 7psi, custom tunes, and DIDO Magnaflow exhaust. Thats it.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by HellboundF150
Some of you may remember me from about 6 years back. I used to be on this website 3 hours a day it seemed..LOL!! I sold my 04 5.4L RCSB back in 2007 when I went to Japan.

Anyway, last year I purchased my fathers 2004 F150 Lariat. It's a 2WD, extended cab (not crewcab) solid black, leather seats, Audiophile, 3.55, 60K miles...etc. He purchased it new in 2004 and he is meticulous with his vehicles, waxed every weekend, clockwork maintenance...it is literally LIKE NEW. I currently have the Edge Evo, S&B intake, and Magnaflow exhaust on the truck.

Well, I have the money outright and Im purchasing the Roush I/C kit with custom tunes from Troyer. I dealt with Troyer before and had amazing results. We got my naturally aspirated 04 RCSB 5.4L into the 8's in the 1/8th mile with some good bolts ons and great tunes.

So, my question is, with my current set-up (of course excluding the removal of the CAI and Edge), what numbers and power can I expect? I know a few others around here have a simliar set up, but have a few other mods too. Im basically going to be Roush I/C, 7psi, custom tunes, and DIDO Magnaflow exhaust. Thats it.

Thanks for the input.
380-400rwhpish...

You sure you don't want to do a whipple or saleen setup over the heaton? If you are anything like you where back in the day, you will outgrow the heaton. You need a saleen or whipple to do the 450-500rwhp. Seems the Roush setup is limited to 430-440rwhp on our stock shortblocks.

Is the edelbrock setup out yet? That setup looks pretty dope.

***EDIT***

You live in college station now? We are going to have to meet up, I travel through there all the time...

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 06-18-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2. Look into the twin screw setup.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, this kit is within my budget and it comes with the custom tunes. I still love tearing up the pavement and everything, but this is my daily driver with kids in the back.

Is there not a pulley upgrade option with the Roush? I thought I read somewhere that someone had upgraded to 8-9 psi with the kit.

At any rate, those arent bad numbers to start off with I dont think.

Fatherford, good to hear from you. Yeah, I live in College Station. I got out of the military after 12 years and work for the Dept. of Justice now. Working with the feds I was able to transfer down here. I have a lot of family here in Texas so it was practical. Anytime you want to meet up just let me know.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, this kit is within my budget and it comes with the custom tunes. I still love tearing up the pavement and everything, but this is my daily driver with kids in the back.

Is there not a pulley upgrade option with the Roush? I thought I read somewhere that someone had upgraded to 8-9 psi with the kit.

At any rate, those arent bad numbers to start off with I dont think.

Fatherford, good to hear from you. Yeah, I live in College Station. I got out of the military after 12 years and work for the Dept. of Justice now. Working with the feds I was able to transfer down here. I have a lot of family here in Texas so it was practical. Anytime you want to meet up just let me know.
Yes you can upgrade to 8-10psi, anything past that you are just creating heat. Where as the whipple/Saleen setups can go up to 20psi+ if you so desire. Most guys on here with ported blowers, full exhaust, every other bolt on you can do is sitting around 420-430rwhp. The blower just runs out of steam at that power level.

I'm not sure what troyer is selling the roush kits for now days, but you might be suprised what you can find saleen/whipple setups for. Which even troyer has/will do tunes. You will just have to wait 9weeks-1year for tunes...

If all you want is max 400rwhp give or take 20hp then the roush will be good enough. If you ever think you are going to do more then 450rwhp, you are just waisting money on the roush.

Yeah we will have to meet up sometime. There are a few of us on here that head to the track every now. Either Sealy or HRP. I'll start going back in the fall and hopefully get that low 12 I've been shooting for.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:33 PM
450 RWHP sounds better...LOL!! But, Im 33 now and my kids are at that pre-teen age with softball, baseball, school plays...you name it. 400 rwhp would suit me just fine and save some wear and tear on the truck. I think with the pulley upgrade, Roush I/C, and custom tunes I would be pretty much set. I think a 2WD SCAB on 18's with 3.55 limited slip could see fairly decent 13's (13.7-13.9) in the 1/4 with that set up.

Now, as it stands with the Roush kit, how long can I expect to wait for custom tunes from Troyer? Im purchasing the whole complete setup through him. I never waited that long for tunes from Troyer.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
450 RWHP sounds better...LOL!! But, Im 33 now and my kids are at that pre-teen age with softball, baseball, school plays...you name it. 400 rwhp would suit me just fine and save some wear and tear on the truck. I think with the pulley upgrade, Roush I/C, and custom tunes I would be pretty much set. I think a 2WD SCAB on 18's with 3.55 limited slip could see fairly decent 13's (13.7-13.9) in the 1/4 with that set up.

Now, as it stands with the Roush kit, how long can I expect to wait for custom tunes from Troyer? Im purchasing the whole complete setup through him. I never waited that long for tunes from Troyer.
I beleive if you buy a complete blower setup he will do the tunes quick and ship them out with the blower.

If you wan't re-tunes, you can check out the chips/tuners section... People are waiting months, even close to a year for tunes.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...-thus-far.html

Old 06-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I see he's had some issues with the tuning return times. Im going to get specifics today from Mike and see what the outcome looks like.

That looked like a pretty nast thread in the Chip Tuner section...LOL!! All in good fun though.

Well, I will post up results and everything when the time comes. Hopefully it isn't a million years from now...

Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I see he's had some issues with the tuning return times. Im going to get specifics today from Mike and see what the outcome looks like.

That looked like a pretty nast thread in the Chip Tuner section...LOL!! All in good fun though.

Well, I will post up results and everything when the time comes. Hopefully it isn't a million years from now...
I thought iIstayed pretty tame. Didn't want to get banned.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, looks like 12-15 weeks with pulley upgrade and custom tunes.

I dont like the idea of mailing in my computer and letting my truck sit for two weeks for the Roush calibration. I'd rather have it all delivered at one time and get it done. I just dont want to end up ordering the blower and then wait 6 months to get it put on.

In the end though, it is a reliable and well set up system. So, Im on the fence.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:02 PM
You could just go with another tuner.... VMP, JDM, etc.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:23 PM
http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...&cPath=155_158

if i could do it again id go SCREW!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Im not opposed to using another tuner. So long as he/she/they can tailor it to my vehicle. I've been out of the game for a few years now so Im pretty much clueless on who is who in the tuning business other than Troyer.

I'm pretty firm on the Roush guys. I'd like the pulley upgrade and a custom tune. If you know anyone who can do a good job on tuning that setup, in a good time frame...let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Im not opposed to using another tuner. So long as he/she/they can tailor it to my vehicle. I've been out of the game for a few years now so Im pretty much clueless on who is who in the tuning business other than Troyer.

I'm pretty firm on the Roush guys. I'd like the pulley upgrade and a custom tune. If you know anyone who can do a good job on tuning that setup, in a good time frame...let me know.

Thanks for the help.
There are quite a few tuners actually...

If you are willing to drive to Houston, Jim Sr. from JDM fly's into Houston about once a month to do dynotunes... You could get a custom dynotune from him. Drive to Dallas and have HPP or Gear Heads tune you. ART in Buda can probably tune you.... In Texas you have lots of opportunities for custom dynotunes.

And just be prepared a year or two from now when you say, "I wish I got a twin screw" that some of us say, "We told you so!"

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 06-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 PM
BTW, that Saleen kit looks nice. What is shipping and custom tuning on that unit going to cost?

My budget is 5K or under. My complete kit with pulley, custom tuning, and Roush blower shipped is under 5K. So, Im open to suggestions.

Quick Reply: Ordering Roush I/C with Custom Tunes...