Government shut down. You worried?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Government shut down. You worried?

Well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow if there is going to be a "government shut down". Are you worried about what that will mean to you?

If you are military, you might end up waiting a while for a paycheck, which would be worrysome to most of us.

I know there is and will be blame going around for this if it happens. I think that there is some blame to go around. It seems odd how this is playing out though. This budget is supposed to be for a fiscal year that started in Oct. 2010. Why all of the heated rhetoric now? Why didn't the people in charge last year do the business they were supposed to to so that we wouldn't be in this situation now?

These people that we send to Washington are constantly playing games! Why do we keep sending the same crooked people there to "represent" us?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Oh come on, you know why the budget wasn't handled earlier.....
It was an election year.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 1st4x4
Oh come on, you know why the budget wasn't handled earlier.....
It was an election year.
Sadly, I agree. No one wants to take the heat for HARD decisions. I suspect Congress would get more people behind them if, along with their cuts in the budget, they cut their own pay by say, 30% and adopted the same health care system the rest of us have.

- Jack

Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by jackandjanet
i suspect congress would get more people behind them if, along with their cuts in the budget, they cut their own pay by say, 30% and adopted the same health care system the rest of us have.

- jack
thankyou!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Nope not worried in the least. Even if they RIF the wife I'm not worried. I'm extremely upside down in my house and it is the one thing I would walk away from. If we aren't being paid that is the thing that does not get paid. I can rent for less than half the price, save the difference between what we can afford and what the rent is and be able to buy a house cash in about 5 years. Nope not afraid.

Now if they implement some of the other measures, like forcing me and the wife to take a 15-20% pay cut, then we will not be buying a house anytime in the near future. That much of a pay cut would seriously undermine our desire and ability to keep working for the government.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Being that I am military I am worried about not getting paid. If the shutdown is only a couple days long it really wont effect me too much, but if its a few weeks then we will see. If I start hurting for money I will probably not pay my mortgage so I can pay for everything else. I am really upside down on my house too.

There are a whole crap load of civilians that work on Eglin AFB so this place will be pretty quite during the shutdown, which might not be a bad thing, it will cut down the amount of traffic on the way to work in the morinings

Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i cant wait, i love going to work for free!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM
meh, hope they do. It'll be devastating to Obummer's re-election campaign.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
65% of my paycheck is gone. thanks obama. I bet he still getting 100% of his ****ing check.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still struggling to figure out how I will notice any difference. Everything run by the government runs at a snail's pace anyway. So if the snail suddenly stopped, who would notice?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I'm still struggling to figure out how I will notice any difference. Everything run by the government runs at a snail's pace anyway. So if the snail suddenly stopped, who would notice?
about 1.5 million military members.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 PM
glc
Received 765 Likes on 708 Posts
Hmm - no military paychecks but Congress still gets paid? That's just criminal.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Hmm - no military paychecks but Congress still gets paid? That's just criminal.
Yep.

The last Congress, headed by Pelosi and Reid, failed to produce a budget as required by the Constitution. The President failed to exercise enough leadership to persuade his party, who controlled Congress, to do their jobs.

So we find ourselves in this situation.

Gotta love it when legislatures thumb their nose at the Constitution, and the media does not hold their feet to the fire.

FWIW, in my state, the state Constitution REQUIRES the legislature to approve a budget by June 15th every year. The legislature has FAILED to meed this CONSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT in 26 of the last 30 years. Shows you how much the legislative branch respects the Constitution.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
Yep.

The last Congress, headed by Pelosi and Reid, failed to produce a budget as required by the Constitution. The President failed to exercise enough leadership to persuade his party, who controlled Congress, to do their jobs.

So we find ourselves in this situation.

Gotta love it when legislatures thumb their nose at the Constitution, and the media does not hold their feet to the fire.

FWIW, in my state, the state Constitution REQUIRES the legislature to approve a budget by June 15th every year. The legislature has FAILED to meed this CONSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT in 26 of the last 30 years. Shows you how much the legislative branch respects the Constitution.
republicans in the senate would use the fillabuster to stop anything the president wanted because they want him to be a one term president?

Not saying democrats shouldnt have tried but it probably would have been a failed attempt

Last edited by blu3expy; 04-08-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by blu3expy
republicans in the senate would use the fillabuster to stop anything the president wanted because they want him to be a one term president?

Not saying democrats shouldnt have tried but it probably would have been a failed attempt
Dude - if the Republicans had fillibustered a timely budget supported by the people, the Dems would have used that as a campaign issued and slaughtered the Republicans last election.

You need to rethink this. Clearly the majority Dems DID NOT WANT to approve a budget before the elections.

Why? Because they would have been held accountable, and they would have lost even more seats!

Their intent was to hide their intentions, keep the house, and pass their dream budget AFTER the election.

Problem was they lost the house in a historic landslide, and the Dem's realized there would be serious repercussions to ram-rodding their agenda through in a lame-duck session. So they chickened out.

They punted the budget issue to the next Congress, who was inaugurarated in January.

Blaming the last Congress' failure to pass a budget on the minority? Sorry, that's not going to fly.

Quick Reply: Government shut down. You worried?