History Made Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think they have piggly wigglys in Texas. At least I havent seen one. I go to Kroger, TomThumb, Walmart neighborhood Market.

I rememeber a piggly wiggly in Florida many years ago that turned into a Big Lots.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
I'm feeling pretty good about being my state being a player, at least at this early stage.
My vote might actually mean something ....

Base Obama: CA, CT, DE, DC, HI, IL, MD, MA, NY, RI, VT (153 electoral votes)

Lean Obama: ME, NJ, MN, OR, WA (47 votes)

Toss-up: CO, FL, IA, MI, NV, NM, NH, OH, PA, VA, WI (138 votes)

Lean McCain: AR, GA, IN, LA, MS, MO, MT, NE, NC, ND (84 votes)

Base McCain: AL, AK, AZ, ID, KS, KY, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WV, WY (116 votes)
Well, they've always said Obama had the advantage with young voters (18 - 35), and people with more than a high school education.

Unfortunately, there are far more people in the other demographics (HS Diploma only, aged 36 - 65), so he still has to convince them that he's a better choice than McCain.

I think he is a better choice than McCain, but I like McCain too. But, McCain has said nothing I've heard to date, that will lead me to believe he's going to change policy from what Bush has right now.

Clearly, we need change.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Many people vote one issue, I offer up abortion as evidence.
McCain is just making it too easy for me. I can't ascertain where he differs with Bush on Iraq.

Claiming Obama will take away our guns, rings of Bush claiming the boogeyman was under our beds. My guns aren't going anywhere regardless and if the neo-cons allow theirs to be taken away by decree then they are dumber than they look.

The Federal budget/debt will be huge regardless of the winner. The people screaming about taxes are saying, 'I don't want to pay, saddle the debt upon my grandchildren.'

But, as I already stated other issues don't interest me and I leave it to others to debate them however they wish.

I don't understand why someone from Arizona (or Texas) would be upset about my single voting decision anyways. The election is a series of state contests and Virginia hasn't gone blue since 1964. Some say the state is in play this time around so it could be interesting.

It would be poetic justice for McCain to win the popular vote and lose the election.
I'm kind of siding with Raoul on this one...

It does crack me up that people actually think our Senator of Illinois is a secretly implanted Muslim Extremist with a mission to destroy the world..

Get serious people...

At least you still have all of your Rations from the Y2K dissaster that was sure to happen..

Old 06-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
...and people, as far as the vitirol....
I have remained cordial here when insults are hurled at me.
I just choose not to address them.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Education has nothing to do with it. It is our constitutional right to own guns. If we don't uphold that amendment, why should we bother to uphold others?
My point is, no one said anything about taking guns, or abolishing the 2nd amendment, but that's a spark around the powder keg, and that's generally the first thing people say. Remember in 2004, back then it was Kerry coming to take the guns? Now, folks woudl have you believe Obama wants to take your guns... Neither statement was accurate.

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
I live in the South and I take offense to that. There are alot of highly educated people who would also be offended by that. You're just as bad as the people you're condemning for making statements like that. There are just as many ignorant, backwards thinking people who live in the North, East and West as there are in the South. Where are you from Hersh?

- NCSU
I'm from Louisiana, the deep south- so I know what I'm talking about.

Just kidding- I love Louisiana. Besides, I didn't say the south was uneducated. But, come on- if you live in the south, then you know education takes a distant forth place behind hunting, fishing, and ATV four wheeling.

But, seriously- you know as well as I do, that racial intolerance lived (and still lives) far longer in the south, then it did anywhere else in the USA. Someone above me mentioned some racial nut in the south potentially taking a shot at Obama, if he comes down there. I fear that too...

I don't think America is mentally mature enough to set aside racil issues, and have a black President. They couldn't stand Kennedy (Jack), or his brother (Robert). They took out the most powerful black leaders (Martin Luther King Jr. & Malcolm X). I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think America is ready. And, from what I've read here, I have good reason to stand by that belief.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
What?...nobody breathlessly bringing up the old..."he doesn't always wear a flag pin" thing.

Any other year I would barely even notice the Dem primaries but with the weak GOP candidate and an absolute fear of a Clinton, especially HER, in the oval office....I paid attention this time.

I can't say I'd ever vote Democrat but in my opinion a lot of Americans have grabbed onto some pretty idiotic lies about Obama primarily to rationalize their racism.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by BigMan
I dont think they have piggly wigglys in Texas. At least I havent seen one. I go to Kroger, TomThumb, Walmart neighborhood Market.

I rememeber a piggly wiggly in Florida many years ago that turned into a Big Lots.
Texas, for some reason, isn't considered "The south", but part of "the West".
Originally Posted by logical
What?...nobody breathlessly bringing up the old..."he doesn't always wear a flag pin" thing.

Any other year I would barely even notice the Dem primaries but with the weak GOP candidate and an absolute fear of a Clinton, especially HER, in the oval office....I paid attention this time.

I can't say I'd ever vote Democrat but in my opinion a lot of Americans have grabbed onto some pretty idiotic lies about Obama primarily to rationalize their racism.
Agreed.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by OgRedd
Yeah, probably. I used to think the same before my daughter was born. I wasn't ready and "grossly underqualified" to be a dad. But you know, love and instinct kicked in and I can't be more proud to hear her call me "daddy". America is a great country. I hope whoever wins, really realizes that it's full of good people that are proud to be Americans. - Og.

difference is he doesn't love this country, he loves that title and is willing to do anything to get it.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by wildchild
difference is he doesn't love this country, he loves that title and is willing to do anything to get it.

What are you basing that statement on. What proof do you have that a US Senator, and Presidential candidate- doesn't love America?
Just curious...

Heck, I'd bet you without serious coaching, and a teleprompter, George W. Bush, couldn't recite teh preamble to the constitution, and sing the national anthem, without messing it up- but, no one questions his love for America. Why?

Last edited by Bighersh; 06-05-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM
You Guys seem to be forgetting McCAIN Co-sponsered anti Gun Legislation with Joseph Lieberman that would have basically made it impossible for Gun Show's to exist.

It would have banned Me selling a Gun to my Dad or any other Private Party sale of guns as well .... Do some research!

It's McCain trying to be the Pro Gun Kerry was trying to be.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bighersh
My point is, no one said anything about taking guns, or abolishing the 2nd amendment, but that's a spark around the powder keg, and that's generally the first thing people say. Remember in 2004, back then it was Kerry coming to take the guns? Now, folks woudl have you believe Obama wants to take your guns... Neither statement was accurate.

I'm from Louisiana, the deep south- so I know what I'm talking about.

Just kidding- I love Louisiana. Besides, I didn't say the south was uneducated. But, come on- if you live in the south, then you know education takes a distant forth place behind hunting, fishing, and ATV four wheeling.

But, seriously- you know as well as I do, that racial intolerance lived (and still lives) far longer in the south, then it did anywhere else in the USA. Someone above me mentioned some racial nut in the south potentially taking a shot at Obama, if he comes down there. I fear that too...

I don't think America is mentally mature enough to set aside racil issues, and have a black President. They couldn't stand Kennedy (Jack), or his brother (Robert). They took out the most powerful black leaders (Martin Luther King Jr. & Malcolm X). I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think America is ready. And, from what I've read here, I have good reason to stand by that belief.
Hersh,
Before the primaries started, I made the prediction that no way Obama or Hillary would be the Democratic candidate for the same reason you stated in your last paragraph. I was totally wrong. People on this site are very vocal about their political thoughts. A lot of American citizens are not talking, but they will be voting. Time will tell my friend. Time will tell.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After all the posts to this thread, I feel the need to apologize. Not because I feel that history was made, only because I felt like everyone thinks like I do. Again, this was not a racist thread by any means, on any level. For some reason, it took a tangent and began a life of its own. Still, you guys continue to prove how good this country is by exercising your right to express yourselves. I was just doing the same without thinking that the civil rights movement and everyone who died for it, black and white, affected everyone like it affected me. - Og

Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Bighersh
What are you basing that statement on. What proof do you have that a US Senator, and Presidential candidate- doesn't love America?
Just curious...

Heck, I'd bet you without serious coaching, and a teleprompter, George W. Bush, couldn't recite teh preamble to the constitution, and sing the national anthem, without messing it up- but, no one questions his love for America. Why?
first let me say I am not now nor do I aspire to be a political genius. You can overwhelm me with actual facts in about two seconds flat. I do vote though generally by my gut feelings about who seems more reasonable as a leader to me.

I base it on (yes I admit it) things read on internet, snippets heard on tv ads from his campaign and the fact that I can't listen to him for more then five seconds. You (I) can hear the undertones in his presentations. It is not that he wants to be president of his beloved country it's that he wants to president, he wants to be the first black president he wants to be the first muslim president. My opinion that's all.

not sure what it is but there is no way I would vote for him. Just a gut feeling kind of thing I guess.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
first let me say I am not now nor do I aspire to be a political genius. You can overwhelm me with actual facts in about two seconds flat. I do vote though generally by my gut feelings about who seems more reasonable as a leader to me.

I base it on (yes I admit it) things read on internet, snippets heard on tv ads from his campaign and the fact that I can't listen to him for more then five seconds. You (I) can hear the undertones in his presentations. It is not that he wants to be president of his beloved country it's that he wants to president, he wants to be the first black president he wants to be the first muslim president. My opinion that's all.

not sure what it is but there is no way I would vote for him. Just a gut feeling kind of thing I guess.

Yep, I understand that...

I'll admit, sometimes, even after weighing everything in your mind, and coming up with a different conclusion- even after all that, sometimes- in the end, the gut choice was the right choice...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
...I base it on (yes I admit it) things read on internet....he wants to be the first muslim president...
So you must think my goats are muslim too.
I hadn't figured on this happening.

Quick Reply: History Made Last Night