Calling All Fat Bastards - click here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Habibi, you are da man! This is a great idea and just the incentive I need.
I am 5' 8" and 20 years ago, I weighed 168lb. I wore 32" waist jeans and worked out 3 times a week. I also had a physically active job.
Now, 20 years later, I work in an office, take customers to dinner and weigh 238lb. Gulp! I am wearing 38" waist jeans well below the belly and even these feel a bit snug.
I'm with you all the way. Let's do it.

Note to mods: Can we post a sticky where we can post our weekly updates?

Old 01-19-2005, 09:11 AM
As some of you might have surmised I'm a bit overweight... well lets say I'm 6' and over 350lbs. I don't look 350 and I've got a lot of solid muscle from years of heavy weightlifting, but I put on a lot of weight after a series of injuries in college and if I can get back under 300 lbs I'll be a lot better off. I'm trying hard to lose some weight, when I was in High school I was 290 lbs and I felt great. I don't have any self-image problems but my family and myself are worried about my long-term health. My TSH (your measure of thyroid stimulating hormone and hence thyroid activity) is as low as it can be and not be considered for medication and I show all the symptoms of hypothyroidism but the doc still won't put me on thyroxin (the treatment for hypothyroidism), so I'll have to do this with the deck stacked against me, but oh well, I'll do it.

I've been going to the gym and riding an exercise bike (low impact b/c of a bad knee and ankle) for 45 minutes three times a week (500 calories in 45 minutes at target heart rate) but recently I've been trying to walk more as well on days I don't get to the gym. Motivation to work out is difficult when I'm busy, it sucks to work all day and have to hit the gym after work, then go home and eat a les than satisfying dinner. I'm trying, but it sucks. In addition, portion control during meals is a huge factor. I'm in the process of trying to eat less at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I made huge strides last year to eat healthier alternatives to almost everything I ate, but even if you eat healthy food, if you eat a lot of it you won't lose weight. I'm trying to eat fruit and a bagel or a bowl of cereal (not both) for breakfast, I've eliminated pretzels from my lunch (PBJ sandwich, low fat yogurt and apple or orange) and I'm trying to eat only one to one and a half helping of dinner and some salad to fill me up. I'm hoping that going to the gym, walking on off days and eating less will help me get healthier. I would like to add free weights back into my workout but I’m worried about the effect on my screwed up back so I'm going to consult the doc and the chiropractor on that one.

I'm not a big numbers guy (and I need a truck scale to weigh myself at the moment), but I just want to fit into my old clothes and be healthier again. My strength and conditioning coach in college once told me about dieting that its important to have one day a week where you eat what you want, within reason so you won't be craving stuff all the time and be tempted to cheat everyday.

Good luck to all here trying to lose weight, I'm suffering with you all! Maybe next year I'll have to change my username to lessfatman66.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 AM
About 5 years ago I was 270 and 6-4. A good friend of mine is the DT instructor at the states police academy and is a PT on the side. She set me up on a diet and over a period of 4 months lost 50 lbs with no excersize. I actually got to 217, but was easily able to maintain 222.
Over the last 4.5 years I have slid back to 235 and so I want to go back to 222. I walk 4 miles a day in an hour, eat several servings of tuna a day and lots of fruit. The biggest problem I have is there are no places to eat in my jurisdiction that offer non fat food. Therefore I either take something or not eat which is not good.
Thankfully my f-i-l retired from Nabisco last year so all the crap he sent to my kids is no longer available.
I really need to run more often, but my old joints rebel that thought, the pool is to cold to go swim in, and the auto's aren't to bike friendly here....
My ideal weight is supposed to be 205. Don't think I will ever see that again....
As for growing up, I was 6-4 by the time I was 16 and up until after college, i weighed a whooping 145lbs. My wedding photos are really scary, (and you should see me!)
Sitting for a job is just plain not healthy!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Hello,

I to am a Fat Bastard,

Started an Atkins type deal on 9-15-03, at 498 down to 388 in a years time. Now am 395-405 for the last few months. I have a few health problems, not directly weight related, but my weight can and does fluctuate 12-18 lbs per day.

Exercise is my downfall, when i had a job that was more physical, it was easy to drop weight, lost 100 in 6 months, 10 years later it was back and I started again ,and am still in progress of attaining something that my Doc. likes and is easy enough for me to maintain.

So I will watch this thread closely, but I really don't weigh in that often, as the fluctuations make it hard to get an accurate measure.

Thanks to the fat bastard who started this thread and to those that will keep it going.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

It's starting to dawn on me why we have an obession with payload and shock life.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Raoul
It's starting to dawn on me why we have an obession with payload and shock life.
Maybe we have also solved the problem of the sluggish acceleration of the 04 F-150...

Old 01-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I too work out 3 times a week, running and lifting a decent amount. I plan on continuing this for the rest of the schoolyear and even over the summer and see if i can lose a few pounds, even though im lucky and dont really need to. Drinking lots of beer and hard liquor will put weight on quick!

Im NOT giving up drinking though, Ill just work out more to compensate for it. Ive got a horrible drinking problem, and plan to do NOTHING about it.....
Ill sober up after college

Last edited by Green_98; 01-19-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Question

Well, it's been several hours, just thought I'd check in and see if anybody lost any weight yet.

I show no change on the scale and yet
somehow I feel like I lost something.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Raoul
and why we are in F150s instead of Rangers (we cant get in them)

I'm 5'9 and 200lbs which is at least 25-30 lbs of belly hanging over my belt. I am an extreme ectomorphic frame menaing Im thin as a rail except this 30 lbs around my belt. Problem is as I get older the weight is starting to grow in other areas of my body. My BP and cholesterol are starting to get unhealthy. Doc says no meds required yet but Im heading downhill fast.

This may soound like small potatoes for some of you, but it sounds like I too need to make the changes (I want to be alive long enough to see my 2 y.o. daughter grow up)

Old 01-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, as of today I weigh 283 lbs. I weighed last week and weighed 285. And I weighed right after Christmas and weighed 287. So I've lost four lbs since Christmas. I guess the exersize does pay off. Slowly but surely.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by J-150
and why we are in F150s instead of Rangers (we cant get in them)

I'm 5'9 and 200lbs which is at least 25-30 lbs of belly hanging over my belt. I am an extreme ectomorphic frame menaing Im thin as a rail except this 30 lbs around my belt. Problem is as I get older the weight is starting to grow in other areas of my body. My BP and cholesterol are starting to get unhealthy. Doc says no meds required yet but Im heading downhill fast.

This may soound like small potatoes for some of you, but it sounds like I too need to make the changes (I want to be alive long enough to see my 2 y.o. daughter grow up)
Stay away from greasy foods and eat a bowl of oatmeal or cheerios everyday for breakfast and that will lower your cholesterol. Walking or running on a treadmill will help too.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
At least I have a valid excuse for my weight.

It's my job at MARS Candies as a quality control inspector.

I work the 'M & M' line. I have to eat all the 'W''s.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
J-150, small potatos now is a lot easier to take care of than major issues later, good for you!

In response to Raoul, I think I'm at least a few pounds lighter after I visited the bathroom.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Count me in, im 5'8 and around 225 im looking to be around 185. first one to there target wins!!!

Old 01-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow ok lets loose all this weight then add it all up and see what the grand total is.

Im 25 years old weigh 290 and am 6'1". I actually started my diet last week so Im with ya. I was also put on blood pressure medicine yesterday so the fatness has to go.

Quick Reply: Calling All Fat Bastards - click here!