Calling All Fat Bastards - click here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling All Fat Bastards - click here!

Ok, fess up, I know there's more than one of you guys who could stand to shed a few pounds.
I won't mention any names, but you know who you are.

Come out of the closet before it's too late.

I remember the day I quit smoking, I posted the news here and you guys helped me though that hard time.
The last smoke I had a smoke was on September 10, 2003, and now it's time to turn my attention to other goals.

I've had some serious health problems to deal with the last several years, almost fatal at times but every day seems to get better.

The docs told me today they have confirmed hypo thyroidism, and I started treatment today.
As far as I'm concerned this is very exciting news because this problem could be the pivotal key, the missing link that has caused a domino effect for many other problems.

When I decided to post my "quit smoking" thread, I did it for a premeditated reason, I knew that once I committed the words to paper (post), there would be no turning back.

I'm doing the same thing with my plan to get into shape and lose a bunch of weight.
I've been on high doses of prednisone, suffered through some serious health issues, and now on top of it, have had this under-active thyroid all along, it makes perfect sense now.

I began a strict diet (lifestyle change) this past Fri, and have hired a personal trainer to get me going in the right direction for daily work-outs.

My goal is to lose 100 pounds by August 31

If I can help motivate anyone by publicly stating my intentions, that would be a welcome bonus, and if not, then perhaps like before, you guys could help motivate me when times get tough.

Every Friday I will post my updated weight, and maybe a quick write up on the struggles for the week and how I'm feeling.

I've pretty much always done everything I ever set my mind to, so I expect to do this ahead of schedule, but feel free to jump in with words of encouragement and any pointers or advice.

My weight on Friday Jan 14, was 333 pounds.
When I was healthy and fit before all this started, I was 235 and felt fantastic.

I'll post the updated results each Friday starting in 2 days on Jan 21.

** I've been thinking... next summer when I go to the drag strip, I should lose a 10th

Regards

Old 01-19-2005, 01:22 AM
jj1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to go Alex.....

I'm on a similar mission, although at this point in my life it's not really health related, although I understand the long term effects.

I bought a years swimming pass and was faithfully going 5 times a week untill I got sick just after christmas.

Once I'm all healed up I'll return again.

I don't really have specific goals interms of weight, as I'm unsure if I'll actually take anything off (vs just putting muscle on and loosing fat).

As of now I'm 234.

I'd like to be 200, but I'm not stuck up about it.

I don't mind laughing at all the skinny freaks shivering all winter long.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Habs i feel your pain bro. I may need to lose a couple ounces myself . But in all reality i was at 282 lbs. last sept. and am now at 248lbs. My goal is 200 even 48 to go. 1st thing i did was cut out all pop and most sweets this in it self lead to a weight loss of more than 20 lbs. but was not enough. I have been working out ie: long walks in the woods but now the deep freeze is on i have not been doing it as much. some weight lifting, but swimming is the way to go. It takes it off faster IMO. I am with ya bro and i will post my weight along side ya. You have motivated me to join in and become the stud i once was.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oddly, as I read this, the news was talking about obesity.

I, too, could stand to loose a few pounds... I've been the same weight (within a few pounds) for about 8 years now but, it's a far cry from where I'd like to be.

Good luck Alex!

RP

Old 01-19-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm 285 lbs 5' 10" so I could stand to lose a few pounds too. But I'm about half muscle and half fat. I'm with you man. If you'll try, I will too. I'm on a med that makes me gain weight. But I have weighed the same going on about 2 years now. Starting out walking 2 miles a day and eating under 1500-1700 calories a day would be a good start. Stay under 30 grams of fat per day. And drink alot of water. I've been hiking a "fitness trail" that is a dirt trail that goes up hills and down hills for two miles. I can do that easily. But the hardest part is to eat less. It's alot easier to put weight on that to take it off. So your going to have to cut back. If you usually eat two sandwiches for a meal, cut back to one sandwich. Same goes with everything you eat. If you can walk one mile, try for two. You have to sacrifice by doing without to reap the benifits. And in the end, it's all worth it. Plus if you do this everyday, it becomes second nature. You have to make it part of your lifestyle to keep the weight off. I know, your sitting there saying "easier said than done." But remember, you have to set your mind to it and stick to it. Mind over body is the key. When you get the urge to eat, just think "I'm not gonna do it." The more you do that, the easier it is control your eating. You have to change your lifestyle to lose the weight and keep it off. And remember, it takes time. It ain't gonna happen overnight. Each day is a day that your either gonna lose weight or gain weight. The choice is your's. Set your mind and do it man. I just sat here and told you everything that I need to do. Hell, you problably knew how to do it already. I guess what I'm trying to say is to motivate yourself. Losing weight is half mental and half physical. You have to give 110% in both departments or your just trying to walk through a brick wall. How's that for a motivational speech?

Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 AM
good for you guys...I'm on a missions myself. I gotta get rid of these damn cigarettes soon. It's really putting a damper on me since I can't really exercise anymore.

I just saw something on tv that may help you guys. There's this Jared guy who lost a ton of weight by eating at subway...

Just kidding, best of luck to y'all

Old 01-19-2005, 02:38 AM
You go Habibi !!!!!

Here's my story. I'm 6'4". When I was in my early 20s I weighed 165 pounds (yup . . . that's rail thin).

When I reached 30 I started gaining weight.

By 35 I was 260

By 40 I was 300

By 44 I was 320

At 44 I had three instances of passing out. Ended up in the emergency room. My BP when admitted to hospital was 200something over 120something.
After everything settled down it was to a few different docs. Heart checked out OK and no sign of stroke. Internist ran blood work. My bad cholesterol was the worst he had ever seen and my good cholesterol was the lowest he had ever seen. (Interestingly my arteries were not clogged though . . . go figure).

Anyway, he put me on meds and I responded instantly. My BP went to normal and my cholesterol went to normal. I stopped the meds and got a trainer and work out all the time.

I heard a lot of neigh-sayers telling me how hard it is to lose weight at my age (started working out just before turning 45).

don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. I just broke 250 (so that's 70 pounds lost . . . and I've actually lost a lot more fat than that because I have built a lot of muscle)

I'm going for 210 which will be 110 lbs lost, and I have no doubt I'll make it. I turn 46 next week and I'm in the best shape I've been in years.

Stick with it, you'll make it bro!

Last edited by kobiashi; 01-19-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Easy ways to shed acouple pounds.

Keep fresh fruit in the house. Something easy to get and take with you. Throw away all sweets.Most people leave sweets laying around the house. If your like me than it's not safe if it's in sight. Switch to ensure or no sugar drink mixes. Cut out pop keep, bottles of water in the ice box instead. STOP EATING FAST FOOD. Most of the stuff you eat from drive up places are well over 500+calories. If you do head to one, stay away from supersizing. Order just the burger and no fries or order a small fry. Cutting back is a good step towards shedding the pounds.

Try parking far away from a store instead of heading to the closest parking spot. Extra walking here and there does the trick. Try and walk 20-40 mins a day. Don't do trend diets. reward yourself from time to time with a slice of pie or going out to eat. These are the tips my doctor gave me. He stated that a good goal is 1-6 pounds a month on a healthy plan.... Good luck with the life change and hope for the best. . I quit smoking and went on a diet last May or so. It's been working so far with acouple slip ups here and there. I made it through the holidays without gaining any weight.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:41 AM
Good luck to you all. A hard goal but an attainable one.

Since you guys are brave enough to post your weight and goals here well, I guess I can too. I don't weigh myself, don't own a scale, I determine success by the pants size I am wearing. When I was 18 years old I wore a size 9 then I had kids...what a figure ruining event that is! I grew along with my children until I was wearing a size 18 by the time we moved to Cordova, AK in 2000. I finally managed to lose some of it and am now into a size 12. My ultimate goal is to be a size 9-10 again. But even the 12 feels so much better! I walk my dog 3 miles a day 5 days a week, cut a lot of fat from my diet and eat more fruits, veggies, whole grains and dairy products.

I want to wish us all the best of luck but don't forget, failure to lose is not failure in life. It is hard to lose weight and keep it off with all the fatty stuff the food manufacturers throw in our faces. It is an uphill battle and once you reach the top its like playing King of the Mountain, some burger or french fry is there trying to knock you off.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:43 AM
I wish you luck. I'm sitting here at 325 lbs. I have gotten back on a daily exercise program but am making no predictions. My basic problem is with free radical fat ions.

As the theory goes, for the universal balance of energy and mass to remain stable, the weight people lose is shed into the atmosphere as free radical fat ions.

The theory also states that people, due to a variety of genetic reasons, fall into one of two categories regarding free radical fat ions: They are emittors or collectors.

I, unfortunately, am a collector.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey right on everyone, this will be fun.
I'm really liking all the stories and tips and everything.

I know we can help each other, and if not, at least have some laughs trying

Old 01-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm in.
At 246 this is biggest I've ever been.
(That's right, I'm three Lifeguardjoe's)

Last one to 200 is a Humpty Dumpty!

Old 01-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
I never got as deep into overweight as some of you. I'm 6' even, and got up to 240 lbs in my late 30's. I had to take a deep breathe to bend over and tie my shoes. I couldn't buy the cheap ladders at Home Depot. The counter kids at the local Wendy's knew me by my first name. I tried dieting, I tried cutting back on my food intake, I tried setting weight goals weekly and monthly, nothing worked.
My doctor, and friend, finally told me not to change my diet first, change my excersize routine. I made it a point to get some form of excersize every day. I worked on the sixth floor, I stopped taking the elevator and began using the stairs. I began riding my bike in the neighborhood, I walked as much as possible. I started getting out in the late afternoon and tossing the football, baseball, or shooting basketball with my kids. The point is, I didn't find a diet that worked till after I began excersizing and losing weight. I finally settled on bicycling, and now ride between 100 and 200 miles per week, every week. Eventually over the years I have cut back on my eating. Not so much the type of foods, but the quantity. My weight still fluctuates between 185 and 195 depending on the season (or is that seasoning).
Habibi, I think you are doing a good thing by hiring a personal trainer. My neighbor did the same thing. The money he spent on the trainer forced him to keep at it and he's gone from around 300 to about 235 in the past year. He feels better, and he claims it may allow him to live long enough to enjoy his Grandchildren.
This WWW of Al Gore's is a wonderful thing. First is gets Habibi off Cigarettes, now it's going to be his weght loss tool.
Let's be sure to get some good BEFORE and AFTER photos.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:59 AM
I hired a PT back in May 2004, I could barely walk on the treadmill. within two weeks I was walking two miles at 3.0 mph at a 8 or 9 incline. I am 5-9 and started at 281 pounds, now I am at about 235 pounds and have lost ten inches in the waste. I am going for about 200, I have a stocky build, like a football player, I look sick if I weigh less than 200.

The excercise will help more than diet. I never really went on a diet, I have never eaten tons of junk, I just ate a lot and only one meal a day, now I eat several small meals but nothing that's considered diet food.

I still eat cheeseburgers, chicken wings etc.

I refuse to eat fries, chips, rice, baked potatoes, and I only eat bread once a week. Usually on Sunday. You would not beleive what just doing that little bit does for you. I drink only water at night and never eat past 7pm. I drink Pepsi still, only in the middles of the day. You have to understand your metabolism and do whatever you can to raise it. I am convinced that walking is the answer.

Notice all of the "fat bastards" are the ones on this website posting replies. Hmmmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Old 01-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Hello everybody, mine name is Bob, and I am a fat bastard.

Seriously, As of Jan 1 2005 I was 6'2'' and 250 lbs. I am also trying to lose weight by changing my eating habits (hopefully for life) and getting more excersice by playing basketball several times a week. To date, I have lost about 12 pounds. I generally eat chicken breasts, salads, special K cereal, and Egg Beater omlettes. I have basically cut out all soda and drink ALOT of water. Things like cheese, milk and mayo are stricly low fat or fat free. If I eat bread its whole wheat. No sweets.

I wish everybody here the best of luck and look forward to reading this posts in support for myself and you guys and hopefully I can get some good ideas of healthy foods from some of you guys.

Quick Reply: Calling All Fat Bastards - click here!