electric fans soon, what is needed other than fans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric fans soon, what is needed other than fans?

First of all I'd like to say this forum is awesome! I have noticed some nice performance increases with the few things I've added so far. I'm planning on adding an electric fan and underdrive pulleys soon..what parts will I need for the fan install? I've been doing a little research, the Mark VIII fan looks like a great way to go. Will I need a different length serpentine belt? Can I use the factory thermostat? What about fan controllers, is there a decent reasonably priced unit? Any help on this would be great.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks MGD lots of good info there..if I read you right, you're saying the factory clutch fan is far superior to an electric fan, and I would have to agree from what I read in that post. I called Summit Racing earlier and asked a salesperson how much cfm the factory fan pulls, and he apparently asked someone and came back onto the phone with 1650cfm. Boy if he were in front of me right now I would probably have to choke him. I think I'll just get the pullies and use my performance tuner to increase idle rpm's a few hundred if necessary.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just leave it alone and then you don't have to worry about it at all.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by chiaronate
First of all I'd like to say this forum is awesome! I have noticed some nice performance increases with the few things I've added so far. I'm planning on adding an electric fan and underdrive pulleys soon..what parts will I need for the fan install? I've been doing a little research, the Mark VIII fan looks like a great way to go. Will I need a different length serpentine belt? Can I use the factory thermostat? What about fan controllers, is there a decent reasonably priced unit? Any help on this would be great.
You might check around and see if anyone has installed the fan setup from a 2010 5.4.

Must be something to the mod if Ford finally did it from the factory.

P.S. The fans on the Police Package Crown Vic flow pretty good.

Info below for 2010 F150 5.4 fan assy:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

Last edited by expy03; 02-20-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: add link
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Old 02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
You might check around and see if anyone has installed the fan setup from a 2010 5.4.

Must be something to the mod if Ford finally did it from the factory.

P.S. The fans on the Police Package Crown Vic flow pretty good.

Info below for 2010 F150 5.4 fan assy:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr
I think Ford went to e fans on the F150 to increase mpg because of the gas prices. I decided to buy an F150 because I did some research and it seems to be a good choice for reliability, and after doing some reading on how installing e fans can cause lots of problems it doesn't seem to me like it would be a good idea to install one. If I just wanted horsepower and not reliability I would have bought a Hemi Ram.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 PM
[IMG][/IMG]
I think Ford went to e fans on the F150 to increase mpg because of the gas prices. I decided to buy an F150 because I did some research and it seems to be a good choice for reliability, and after doing some reading on how installing e fans can cause lots of problems it doesn't seem to me like it would be a good idea to install one. If I just wanted horsepower and not reliability I would have bought a Hemi Ram.
What problems are you talking about? I completed my efan install in December. I'm running two 16 inch fans and a 50 amp delta current controller. I soldered all connections, used the proper gauge wire, and used wire loom everywhere. I also have two dash mounted indicator lights from dcc. They turn from green to yellow to red as the fans spool up. Everything seems to work as it's supposed to....of course it hasn't been over 60 degrees yet this year in Washington. Also, I recommend using all stainless steel fasteners including nylock nuts.

Last edited by mediumfast; 02-22-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by mediumfast
[IMG][/IMG]

What problems are you talking about? I completed my efan install in December. I'm running two 16 inch fans and a 50 amp delta current controller. I soldered all connections, used the proper gauge wire, and used wire loom everywhere. I also have two dash mounted indicator lights from dcc. They turn from green to yellow to red as the fans spool up. Everything seems to work as it's supposed to....of course it hasn't been over 60 degrees yet this year in Washington. Also, I recommend using all stainless steel fasteners including nylock nuts.

That looks like a pretty good setup. I found a local shop that will do pretty much anything, so I would have them do it..hopefully they insulate everything and use the proper fuses. I read several posts on here about the e-fans failing because of the controller burning out, fuses, etc. Most are probably the result of not setting it up properly. Another thing I read on here is it can damage the radiator if push pins are used, something I'll avoid. Will I need anything other than a fan and controller? I'm planning on using a Mark VIII fan, and maybe the DC or FK35, or maybe SPAL..they seem to be favorites.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 AM
That looks like a pretty good setup. I found a local shop that will do pretty much anything, so I would have them do it..hopefully they insulate everything and use the proper fuses. I read several posts on here about the e-fans failing because of the controller burning out, fuses, etc. Most are probably the result of not setting it up properly. Another thing I read on here is it can damage the radiator if push pins are used, something I'll avoid. Will I need anything other than a fan and controller? I'm planning on using a Mark VIII fan, and maybe the DC or FK35, or maybe SPAL..they seem to be favorites.
Can't use an FK35 (obsolete model, with a lower rating - check their site), nor a SPAL with a Mark VIII. FK50p or FK85p is the ticket. Ensure you follow the instructions provided on DCC's site explicitly.

This is from the list I posted above - as stated, I personally have issues with just his fans (not the controller or the excellent install): https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-progress.html

MGD

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I didn't like the idea of using push pins either. That's why I rigged the aluminum brackets. I got the parts from Home Depot and my local hardware store. I took most of my ideas from other posts but I did a few thing differently so it will work better. I probably have $250-$275 into the whole thing. My fans aren't as good as MGDfan's but they have a lifetime warranty and they cost a lot less. I will be the first one to say they are junk when/if they give me problems. The real test will be this Summer when it gets hot out.

MGDfan is correct about following the directions. Also, I had some problems getting my controller to work right because of a bad connection with one of my low current wires. It was sort of a fluke but caused some major headaches because it was causing the fans to go on and off randomly based on vibration. It was easy to fix once I figured out what the problem was.

Last edited by mediumfast; 02-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 AM
I didn't like the idea of using push pins either. That's why I rigged the aluminum brackets. I got the parts from Home Depot and my local hardware store. I took most of my ideas from other posts but I did a few thing differently so it will work better. I probably have $250-$275 into the whole thing. My fans aren't as good as MGDfan's but they have a lifetime warranty and they cost a lot less. I will be the first one to say they are junk when/if they give me problems. The real test will be this Summer when it gets hot out.

MGDfan is correct about following the directions. Also, I had some problems getting my controller to work right because of a bad connection with one of my low current wires. It was sort of a fluke but caused some major headaches because it was causing the fans to go on and off randomly based on vibration. It was easy to fix once I figured out what the problem was.
Electrical work is definitely not for me, I'll probably just buy a Mark VIII fan and controller, go to the shop and say "here you go".

Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
how many fans?

i know this is from a year ago, but I don't see where anyone caught this:
is it just me, or is there a stock (clutch) fan still in place, along with the electric fans, in these pictures?
if so, why?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Redundancy? lol

Also if that was a 2007+ truck (IIRC, and this one is a 2006) all you need to do is disconnect the mech fan electric clutch to let it freewheel ... and if you have an efan breakdown ( one common controller, remember) all you need to do is reconnect the fan clutch and yer on yer way.

Pretty 'cool'

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I am going to install an efan in my 2000 F150 4.2L V6 2WD. I've done a ton of research, here and elsewhere, and this is what I've learned from the experience of others:
1. installation counts!
2. quality parts counts!
3. it is very easy to swap the load the OEM clutch fan imposes on the engine for overheating problems. see 1 and 2 above.
4. my design will include a replacement aftermarket "super-cooling" radiator to passively reduce the heat load on the cooling system, i.e., without depending on fans alone. it does add cost. duh.
5. for at least a summer or two, I'm keeping the stock OEM clutch fan setup in a box in the back of the truck.... along with the appropriate nuts, bolts, wrenches, etc.

Quick Reply: electric fans soon, what is needed other than fans?