Which e-fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which e-fan?

Hi,

I am wanting to do an e-fan upgrade, and have found fans from either a 2001 or 2006 Crown Vic, the 2001 has 120,000 miles on it and is a police interceptor, the 06 is lower. Which one should I go with? Or would either one be a decent fan to use? Thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if i would get on off a police interceptor with 120k on it. If you think about it, I may only have 120k on it but how many hours has it sat in idle with that fan running?

Personally, I haven't done one yet. But do plan to and have read alot of write ups on it. Seems like people use Taurus fans alot.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The Real Mccloy
Hi,

I am wanting to do an e-fan upgrade, and have found fans from either a 2001 or 2006 Crown Vic, the 2001 has 120,000 miles on it and is a police interceptor, the 06 is lower. Which one should I go with? Or would either one be a decent fan to use? Thanks.
Hi.

The lower the 'milage' the better. These things do have finite life (3-4,000 hours, IIRC).

Seen this?: https://www.f150online.com/forums/to...t=heavy+towing

Most importantly ( other than exemplary installation best-practices and some over-engineering for reliability's sake) - choose a GOOD Variable-speed controller ...

From here: http://www.dccontrol.com/

good luck

MGD

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Get on craigslist esp or eBay and find some used Ls1 fans. I got mine for $40 and work awesome, keeps my truck cool in this crazy Houston heat! It is a dual electric fan setup. Then I bought a $35 Hayden controller unit from Autozone and wired it in, it was pretty simple just takes some time to route wires. I also installed a 3 way switch to manually override the controller so I can have them off, constantly running, or have the controller doing it.

Last edited by BlackOut07; 01-14-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I am getting the fan off of the 2006 CV, thanks for the replies. I have another question now as to which controller should I get? I have read that people are using anything from a fairly inexpensive $35 controller, right up to a FAL for $100, or the SPAL or DC controls for $150. The only thing I have read bad is that the SPAL is not rated for more than 30 amps, so it is probably out for my application. I also like the soft start feature of the FAL and at $100 it is probably the best bang for the buck, as long as its a decent controller. Any help in choosing a controller is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Id never spend $100 on a controller, my $35 Hayden unit works flawless in this extreme Texas heat, and I can adjust at whatever temp I want the fans to kick on at with the turn of a dial. Plus it were to ever go bad I could replace it two more times before im at the cost of that $100 controller, since some guys on here have had expensive units burn up on them(mainly because of mounting location). Just my 2 cents though. Fatherford has the same setup(I pretty much copied him) here in Houston as well. It was also quite simple to wire up.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by BlackOut07
Id never spend $100 on a controller, my $35 Hayden unit works flawless in this extreme Texas heat, and I can adjust at whatever temp I want the fans to kick on at with the turn of a dial. Plus it were to ever go bad I could replace it two more times before im at the cost of that $100 controller, since some guys on here have had expensive units burn up on them(mainly because of mounting location). Just my 2 cents though. Fatherford has the same setup(I pretty much copied him) here in Houston as well. It was also quite simple to wire up.
Hi.

Y'know, One guy's user install error - contrary to the explicit & rcommended installation instructions of the manufacturer - is NOT an indication of a quality issue with the DCcontols units.

The fact is, they are among the most robust on the market, and well worth the money. At least one feller here has miigrated the same controller to more than one vehicle...

The advantages of the granular speed control and soft-start features make the expenditure well worth it. You won't be replacing this controller anytime soon - it will outlast the fans. Just follow DC's instructions to the letter & you'll be fine.

A bonus - you can add the optional in-cab indicators for fan activity from Dccontrols very inexpensively.

Personally - I will never again run a hard-start controller ( I simply abhor the totally unnecessary current inrush on fan start), and in fact, even the OEM relay-based controller for the LS1's 'stage' the initial start with a little relay trickery:

OP - read the technical section on DC's website for some good fan control theory & other useful info.

You are also correct on the SPAL's ratings - however, the SPAL will run an LS1, LT1 or possibly even the 2010 F150 efan assembly.

BTW - WTF kind of endorsement is "I copied FF" ? He's a cheap batige [j/k, lol] LS1 fans are nice. They simply cry out fer a decent controller, lol.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-15-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Y'know, One guy's user install error - contrary to the explicit & rcommended installation instructions of the manufacturer - is NOT an indication of a quality issue with the DCcontols units.

I Never stated it was a quality issue, I said it was user related from the start.

The fact is, they are among the most robust on the market, and well worth the money. At least one feller here has miigrated the same controller to more than one vehicle...

Not denying they are a "robust" controller, they do have more functions than my simple Hayden unit without a doubt! I stated it was only my 2 cents that id never spend $100 on one with all these extra functions for a set of electric fans, because by saving money in areas like this it has allowed me to do twice the mods!

The advantages of the granular speed control and soft-start features make the expenditure well worth it. You won't be replacing this controller anytime soon - it will outlast the fans. Just follow DC's instructions to the letter & you'll be fine.

A bonus - you can add the optional in-cab indicators for fan activity from Dccontrols very inexpensively.

Personally - I will never again run a hard-start controller ( I simply abhor the totally unnecessary current inrush on fan start), and in fact, even the OEM relay-based controller for the LS1's 'stage' the initial start with a little relay trickery:

Why will you never run it again?

OP - read the technical section on DC's website for some good fan control theory & other useful info.

You are also correct on the SPAL's ratings - however, the SPAL will run an LS1, LT1 or possibly even the 2010 F150 efan assembly.

BTW - WTF kind of endorsement is "I copied FF" ? He's a cheap batige [j/k, lol] LS1 fans are nice. They simply cry out fer a decent controller, lol.

Lol personally I think granular start is eghh a joke, sure it may make them last a wee bit longer but I could put new fans in and still be cheaper on my budget than that dc controller!

MGD
If the guy has the easy money to spend then hell go for it man! If someone gave me the free choice of my unit vs a dc well duh is pick the dc! I am by no means at all trying to saying my Hayden is on the same level as dc controllers(hence the price diff). I just wanted to offer this guy a cheaper but just as effective alternative that's all. I hope you don't take this as a stab to you, some people do when your just simply debating with them to get the plus and minus of both sides being debated.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Wow screwed that post up! Lol ^^^^
its still early for me!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by BlackOut07
Wow screwed that post up! Lol ^^^^
its still early for me!

Naw - we're good, buddy - thanks for being civil

Say 'hi' to FF fer me

MGD

Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, the reason I like forums so much for info is that I get to read lots of different ways to do the same thing. MGDfan, I also like the idea of the soft start feature to lessen the load on the system when the fan kicks in, which is why I am looking at the more expensive controllers. I am a journeyman Instrumentation tech at a refinery here in regina, so as such I know that you get what you pay for when it comes to controls of any type. That being said I am still very interested in the FAL 31165 as it has the same features that I want, like the DC controls, but is a fair bit cheaper. thanks again for the info and ideas.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by The Real Mccloy
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, the reason I like forums so much for info is that I get to read lots of different ways to do the same thing. MGDfan, I also like the idea of the soft start feature to lessen the load on the system when the fan kicks in, which is why I am looking at the more expensive controllers. I am a journeyman Instrumentation tech at a refinery here in regina, so as such I know that you get what you pay for when it comes to controls of any type. That being said I am still very interested in the FAL 31165 as it has the same features that I want, like the DC controls, but is a fair bit cheaper. thanks again for the info and ideas.
Hi bud!

I totally agree - and the best anyone can hope for is an honest & full array of opinions, with some experience with the alternatives. I have this with the SPAL, DCControls, and several assorted simplistic basic relay-based On/Off controllers, as well as a few self-designed, home-built monstrosities over the years

The final call is, of course, your own, and I'll support it all the way.

But - as you may have already seen, I cannot stress enough that this is yer engine's cooling system we are talking about - dead-nuts reliability is paramount, or do not go there. Being stranded is not a lot of fun.

And - even the *best* controller, installed poorly, is not going to cut it, over time.

I that vein, Mr. BlackOut07's mention of manual overrides is an excellent point. Whatever you choose, you would do well to incorporate same.

EDIT - I suppose, fer completeness, I should also mention - it's not just soft-start that's beneficial, it's the ability of these controllers to actually only run the fans as fast as needed; to dynamically 'track' the temperature variations and respond quickly - you get much better coolant temp uniformity this way ( see DC's site for a MUCH better explanation of this, lol)

Good luck!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I have had the FAL 31165 for a couple years now with no problems.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I support the DC controls...FK-35 on mine for over two years...Works extremely well with the LIncoln MkVIII fan...

Quick Reply: Which e-fan?