2001 F-150 SuperCrew Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F-150 SuperCrew Cruise Control Issue

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my note.

I am currently having a problem with my '01 SuperCrew cruise control. It will not come on at all - no light, will not set, etc.

I had a problem with my heating and air. I took it to a local mechanic and he said that the module that controls the temperature went out. He would have to order the part. So while waiting for the part, a day or two later I noticed when I pressed the cruise "On" the cruise light would come on, then go off. I tried again - just blinked on then back off. Now it will not even turn on at all.

Just picked up my truck today and the air seems to be corrected. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should try to get the cruise going?

Thanks for any advice -

Michael

Old 06-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a self test in the cruisecontrol system. With the key off depress and hold the cruise control off button while turning the ignition to the run position,dont start the truck, the cruise light will flash once to let you know it is in selftest, five additional flashes indacate a bad cruise control servo, release the cruise off switch and within 5 seconds depress the other switches in sequence, on resume coast and set/ accel the speed control light will flash as each switch is depressed if the last one does not flash it may then flash a code if so post it and I will let you know what it is, after this the cruise will move the throttle to test the actuator and the cable.Make sure the trottle returns to idle and turn the key off. Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by chucks bp
There is a self test in the cruisecontrol system. With the key off depress and hold the cruise control off button while turning the ignition to the run position,dont start the truck, the cruise light will flash once to let you know it is in selftest, five additional flashes indacate a bad cruise control servo, release the cruise off switch and within 5 seconds depress the other switches in sequence, on resume coast and set/ accel the speed control light will flash as each switch is depressed if the last one does not flash it may then flash a code if so post it and I will let you know what it is, after this the cruise will move the throttle to test the actuator and the cable.Make sure the trottle returns to idle and turn the key off. Hope this helps.
Ok I just had my Cruise control fixed under the "recall". When I got it back the was no Cruise Contol Light on in the dash. According to the "Ford Dealer's Service Personel" there is no Cruise Control Light. I though this was a little strange. Now you say there is. Where is is suppose to be? I do not doubt there is suppose to be one but where should I be looking?

Old 06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Night Runner - To the best of my knowledge, and keep in mind it has been a week or so since I have actually seen my light, it is in the bottom right hand section of the console - sort of diagonal from the Tach. I may be wrong, but I think the owners manual may have a chart of the console. I'll try to remember to check mine this evening and I'll let you know.

I also haven't had a chance to run though the diagnostics. I am hoping to check this out evening.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks, I have only had the 01 SCREW since March and before I could use the Cruise Control the recall was out so I had it repaired. So I never knew if I had a light for Cruise.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:03 PM
the cruise light is a green light that says "cruise" and is just left of the pointer for the temp guage. On the bottom when you turn the key on rt side you should have an orange ABS light then a red brake light and when you have the cruise on and working the next one to the right will be the green cruise light, this light does not come on with start up only with cruise on and operating.I have a 2001 supercrew and just went down the road to verify the location It is deffinatly there!!!! Don't let some guy bull**** you!!!!

Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Night Runner
Ok I just had my Cruise control fixed under the "recall". When I got it back the was no Cruise Contol Light on in the dash. According to the "Ford Dealer's Service Personel" there is no Cruise Control Light. I though this was a little strange. Now you say there is. Where is is suppose to be? I do not doubt there is suppose to be one but where should I be looking?
Indeed there should be one there. Do a self-test of the IP lights by putting the cluster in test mode. With the key off, press and hold the trip odometer reset button. Turn the ignition on while still holding the button down. After about 5 seconds, the dash cluster will go into test mode. You can cycle through the different info, but one of the first couple is a light test. You can use that to show the morons at the dealership that there IS and SHOULD BE a cruise control light.

They've had them since '97 without exception.

-Joe

Old 06-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Indeed there should be one there. Do a self-test of the IP lights by putting the cluster in test mode. With the key off, press and hold the trip odometer reset button. Turn the ignition on while still holding the button down. After about 5 seconds, the dash cluster will go into test mode. You can cycle through the different info, but one of the first couple is a light test. You can use that to show the morons at the dealership that there IS and SHOULD BE a cruise control light.

They've had them since '97 without exception.

-Joe

Joe,

Thanks. I went back to the dealership that "repaired" the cruise module for the recall. When they first did the "repair" the dweb was vehement that I did not have a cruise control light. It was not in my model and that Ford may or may not have put one in my year model.

Last night when I we back and confronted him with my owners manual he did not even blink an eye when I showed him it should be there. He then started rambing on about build dates and again my model may not have the light. But if I wanted he could put the truck in and they could take apart the dash and look to see if there was a bulb there and test the circuit to see if it had power. No mention of cost but I can expect it would not be cheap. I finally turned and walked away did not want to get angry and blow my top. He kept trying to ask me what did I want him to do. I finally told him exactly what he was doing nothing and left.

Again thanks for the info on how to check it. If the bulb is burned out I can replace it for the cost of the bulb and my time to yank the instrument cluster.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Joe,

Just did the test no light. So I guess the bulb is burnt out. I will have to replace it.

Does anyone know the bulb number for the "Cruise Control Light" Some others were posted but none for the "Cruise Control" that I saw.

Last edited by Night Runner; 06-09-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 PM
It should be similar to the rest of the bulbs on the back of the dash, but specifically it'll be the one with the orange/light brown wire going to it. The schematics don't list the specific bulb number though.

-Joe

Old 06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Chucks bp,

Sorry its taken me so long to give this a shot.

I tried to run the self test and I want to make sure I understand correctly. I am not receiving anything after the self test starts.

From off position, press and hold the cruise off turn iginition to run position (where dash lights and radio come on). I should see cruise flash once to let me know the self test has started. I see the flash once.

I then pressed: Resume button, followed by the Coast, finally Set/Accelerate. When I do that I see no light what so ever.

I did wait for a short time (maybe 30 seconds or so) never saw anything else so I turned off the ignition.

I will run through these steps once more this evening to make sure.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by mdelliott76
Chucks bp,

Sorry its taken me so long to give this a shot.

I tried to run the self test and I want to make sure I understand correctly. I am not receiving anything after the self test starts.

From off position, press and hold the cruise off turn iginition to run position (where dash lights and radio come on). I should see cruise flash once to let me know the self test has started. I see the flash once.

I then pressed: Resume button, followed by the Coast, finally Set/Accelerate. When I do that I see no light what so ever.

I did wait for a short time (maybe 30 seconds or so) never saw anything else so I turned off the ignition.

I will run through these steps once more this evening to make sure.

Thanks,

Mike

You missed a step:

Ign off, press and hold the cruise off button, then switch the ignition on.
One light flash
Press the cruise on button Cruise light will blink
Press Resume. Light will blink
Press Coast. Light will blink.
Press Set/Accel. Light will blink (multiple times? Can't remember...)

-Joe

Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Within 5 seconds of the first lt flash that tells you it is in selftest push the other buttons in this order , on , resume , coast , and set/ accel the speed control light will come on as each button is depressed as soon as the light goes out push the next one in the exact sequence immediatly.If the light does not flash when the last button is depressed watch for a series of flashes count them and post the results.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
It should be similar to the rest of the bulbs on the back of the dash, but specifically it'll be the one with the orange/light brown wire going to it. The schematics don't list the specific bulb number though.

-Joe

Well took the Instrument Cluster apart the bulb for the CC and I beleive the others are a type 37 as they all were the same size. The illuminations were larger so they may be the 194 size.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Did it fix the problem?

-Joe

Quick Reply: 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Cruise Control Issue