2001 F-150 SuperCrew Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scott427
i got 3 flshes from the self test checked the bpp switch and it is good but changed it anyway with one from the factory...also had the truck checked with a codes reader at the dealer and it showed the same thing break light switch....that is when i bought the new one ...if you check the wires at the pressure switch on the master cylinder it has 12 volts on it when the truck is off and even if the control harness to the cruse servo is unplugged...<snip>....
How did you check the BPP ? You should have power on 1 of the wires with the brake pedal off, and power on both sides with the brake pedal on.

The + DC V ) with the key off ) at the secondary safety switch is normal, that is why they made the new harness with the fuse in it for the recall.

Originally Posted by scott427
....<snip>.....i have something gone bad wire melted together or a sensor shorted i must have a feed back loop or something
What makes you think this ?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM

Just thought of something else, did you pull the recall harness, and jumper it there ?

Could be the fuse in the recall harness is blown.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry for the late responce did not see page 4 ...i checked the bpp with an ohm meter with the cover off and checked the contacts when each set closed to make sure they are making good contact

but what explains the fact that is the brake pedal harness is pulled the cruse will engage and drive the truck

Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
How did you check the BPP ? You should have power on 1 of the wires with the brake pedal off, and power on both sides with the brake pedal on.

The + DC V ) with the key off ) at the secondary safety switch is normal, that is why they made the new harness with the fuse in it for the recall.

What makes you think this ?
well because if you hold down the pedal or pull the harness from the break pedal switch the cruse works how is this possible if the path is from the secondary switch through the break pedal switch

Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Crusie Control Issue

This has been a very interesting read and I have used many items from here to try and diagnose my issue but I have not been successful.

What I have tried is:

I have ran the diagnostic test using the turn the key on holding the off button etc. On each button press I got the "cruise" light to come on.

I then checked the 2 am fuse in the recall wiring and that was ok.

I then checked what I thought was the correct fuse inside the truck and it also looked fine.

At this point not sure what to do. If I press on and then and off the three buttons on the right the green cruise light blinks. If I slightly press the break and press the same buttons I get nothing as to be expected.

Not sure where to go from this point. Any ideas ?

Oh this is a 2001 SuperCrew with the recall installed

Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM

when you run the self test, does the servo activate and move the throttle cable ? This is at the end of the test, but you make no mention of it.

how did you check the 1 A fuse in the recall harness, and did you actually test them or do the less than accurate pull and stare method ?

Is it safe to assume that the CC does not hold the speed ( as in the cable is not being pulled by the servo ) but the light is on ? You only say you have an issue, but do not give a description of the issue.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:07 PM
If I turn the switch on with the cruise off button pressed I hear the servo activate (at least that is what is sounds like) during the test usually right after I press on or while I am pressing the other cruise button.

My fuse is a 2 A fuse does that matter ? I did do the less than accurate pull and stare method.

The CC does not hod the speed and the cruise light just blinks when trying to set the speed control.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Time to check the fuse in the recall harness with a meter. Check both sides for + VDC.

the CC test when you enter test mode, the CC light flashes to signal entering test mode. Once you press the last button ( set/ accel ) the servo will move the cable .
You need to verify it is press set/ accel , get the CC light flash ( once, not 2 or more times, that is an error ) and then verify that the servo is moving the throttle cable.

The servo is only going to move the cable 4mm , so you need to pay attention to it.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I have the same issue with the cruise control on my 2001. It started out a couple years ago when you would push the set button the cruise light would flash on then off. After a fews pushes it would set, almost like have to reset it, and work fine for several months. I took it to the dealer and they said they found nothing wrong with it. It was also touchy about the on switch. You had to make 1 quick push. If you held it too long or hit it more than once you had to turn the truck off to try to set the cruise control again. It got where it would work for a shorter and shorter time between the "reset" till it finally just quit. I did the self test and got the lights to light up when all the switches are push but after the last one I got 2 added flashes plus the speed control servo did not test. I read above the 2 flashes means:

— 2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

The brake lights are not on as I checked that out but does this also mean the the servo is bad? if so how much is that going to cost.

Last edited by kman458; 03-02-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Did you have recall 05S28. Description: Speed Control Deactivation Switch completed ?

The BPP could be the issue, just wanted to check with the recall.

I would expect a different flash code for the recall item, but I am not 100% sure 3 flashes is not that...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Quick test (for diagnostic purposes only).

Disconnect the vehicle harness from the recall harness or the SCDSCDS. Install a jumper into the two pins of the vehicle harness to simulate a normally closed SCDS. Re-run the SC diagnostic. If it passes, you have a SCDS that is intermittent.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Did you have recall 05S28. Description: Speed Control Deactivation Switch completed ?

The BPP could be the issue, just wanted to check with the recall.

I would expect a different flash code for the recall item, but I am not 100% sure 3 flashes is not that...
I am not sure as I bought it used and at the time the dealer had they said nothing about needing a recall done on it. What I do know is there is a tag on the harness that says that there is an internal fuse that can not be serviced but on examining the harness I found an external fuse holder with a blown 2 amp fuse. Before I replaced the fuse the only switches that would flash the cc light were the off and on, after the fuse was replace all the buttons would and that is when I got the 2 added flashes. At no time did the servo do anything that I saw. When I did a test drive I found the cc would still not work. I just hate to take it to the dealer and have them throw parts at it till it is fixed.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Quick test (for diagnostic purposes only).

Disconnect the vehicle harness from the recall harness or the SCDSCDS. Install a jumper into the two pins of the vehicle harness to simulate a normally closed SCDS. Re-run the SC diagnostic. If it passes, you have a SCDS that is intermittent.
I disconected the harness from the SCDS and put a jumper across it and it did nothing but I only did the harness at the switch and not farther up. The SCDS does look like it may have leaked at on time as dirt is built up around the seam between the metal and plastic and the conector on the harness looks like it has soot on it as well. Maby it is time to look into the recall a bit more.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Try the jumper at the truck's harness where the what appears to be the recall harness added to it.

If this gives the same results, time to go after the brake pedal position switch.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Try the jumper at the truck's harness where the what appears to be the recall harness added to it.

If this gives the same results, time to go after the brake pedal position switch.
That fixed it, disconnected the recall harness from the main harness, put a jumper there, and the cruise control works like a champ. Thank you very much for the help.

Quick Reply: 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Cruise Control Issue