2001 F-150 SuperCrew Cruise Control Issue

Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Must be a early revision recall harness.
Last I recall, there were 14 updates to the recall ( might not be 14 different harnesses ).

I have to say, talk with your dealer about the recall harness issues, and see if it is an early revision one installed.

Myself, I had it disconnected with the jumper, dad saved the jumper when he went in to the dealer for the recall, and took it back out. If it cannot short, it cannot catch on fire.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a 2001 f150 that started to just flash the CC light. I had the recall done today to see if that would help but nothing. I just got done doing the self test and I get a single flash after each button and no codes. I tested all the relevant fuses and they were all good. am I missing something? seems strange to follow all the steps and still not have a fix.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Does the throttle cable cycle at the end of the test ?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I tried to verify but now I'm having a problem where my battery light stays on and the alternator does not charge.I took the the alt off and had it tested and its fine.so I put on a new one on just to see and that one does not charge either.I think something is causing the cc and the alt to have issues and I dont know where to start.I rechecked all fuses and fuseable link and everything is good.I'm recharging he battery so I'll run the self test again when its done and I'll let you know what I find.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM

If you are not charging the battery, check the alternator field fuse.

Also check the end of the field connector on the alternator.

Jbrew has a good thread on it here, just watch the MY references ( fuse will be in a different location for your MY )

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...nator-why.html

Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 PM
found out the alt problem.looks like the highly trained ford tech removed the #11 alt field fuse when they installed the recall harness.I guess they wanted me to return to replace an alt so they could get some money.thanks for the heads up on that thread it really helped.

as for the CC the cable does not move after the self test ends and there are no codes that flash.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM

You can take a search through this forum, the last time I saw something similar to this, it was the servo that needed to be replaced.
The member brought it back to where he just bought it from ( used ), and they did R&R on 2 parts, replacing the servo did the truck.

I was no where near telling him to try that, as it get expensive.
This member has a square dealer that took care of him.

No flash code and the servo does not cycle to me shows that this is where the problem could be, but it is a SWAG ( don't have your MY hand with the service manual to find the test to get to a confirm on servo bad )

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM
thanks for the help this info was great

Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
cruise doesnt engage

After reading through this thread I cant find a similar issue except cruise doesnt work.
2002 F150 Crew-

I did the cruise test- turn key on without starting engine while holding
off button--one flash of the cruise light
On button-- one flash of the cruise light
Pushing buttons on the right side of steering wheel in sequence--no light flash.

Bad button cluster????

While trying to set cruise while driving, the cruise light flashes very momentarily but cruise wont set!

Also, I am second owner since 2007. How would I know if the truck has been fixed per the recall?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 PM

Under the hood, the harness to the switch at the end of the brake booster, there should be an additional harness inline. This would be the connector that was on the switch to another harness, and then to the switch.

You can also look up the recall info on Ford's owner site via the VIN #

Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Under the hood, the harness to the switch at the end of the brake booster, there should be an additional harness inline. This would be the connector that was on the switch to another harness, and then to the switch.

You can also look up the recall info on Ford's owner site via the VIN #
I called my dealer and my truck was not involved in the recall per the VIN number. there is a harness that contains a 2 amp fuse. All is good there.

Per my original question. could the problem be in the steering wheel switches?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 PM

That is strange, it was not part of the recall, but it was done ???

Since you checked for power on the pins on both sides of the back of the fuse while installed, and that checked out as + VDC on both sides, next is to test if the switches are working correctly.

At the Servo control under the hood, unplug the connector and measure resistance from the dark green / orange stripe wire to the Light Blue w/ black stripe wire.

Without a button being pressed, you should have infinity for resistance ( open circuit ).

Pressing a button will give a resistance.

Resume = 220 ohms
Set / Accel = 680 ohms
Coast = 120 ohms.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
That is strange, it was not part of the recall, but it was done ???

Since you checked for power on the pins on both sides of the back of the fuse while installed, and that checked out as + VDC on both sides, next is to test if the switches are working correctly.

At the Servo control under the hood, unplug the connector and measure resistance from the dark green / orange stripe wire to the Light Blue w/ black stripe wire.

Without a button being pressed, you should have infinity for resistance ( open circuit ).

Pressing a button will give a resistance.

Resume = 220 ohms
Set / Accel = 680 ohms
Coast = 120 ohms.
Check of 2 amp fuse shows good.

will have to wait till boss gets home to check servo control to help with button pushing and reading multi meter!

this is done with key on? right?

Last edited by rabbitrandy; 03-29-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM

Key can be off.

It is resistance from the switch to the ends of the wire, and the connector is unplugged, so it is isolated from the truck when you are doing this. Truck's wire & connectors to the switch and back on the other wire.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Key can be off.

It is resistance from the switch to the ends of the wire, and the connector is unplugged, so it is isolated from the truck when you are doing this. Truck's wire & connectors to the switch and back on the other wire.
OK, checked resistance on the wires and they read exactly as you said they would.

What could be next?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Cruise Control Issue