Is Troyer really worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Troyer really worth the wait?

Really thinking about custom tuning and it seems that everyone is happy with Troyer's tunes, but waiting 2+ months is along time. It sounds to me that everybody that has used VMP is just as satisfied and the wait is alot shorter. What is the big differance? I was all set to make the call to TP but started thinking if I can get the same thing in less time for less money then why not?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
?

Originally Posted by S.M.Jones
Really thinking about custom tuning and it seems that everyone is happy with Troyer's tunes, but waiting 2+ months is along time. It sounds to me that everybody that has used VMP is just as satisfied and the wait is alot shorter. What is the big differance? I was all set to make the call to TP but started thinking if I can get the same thing in less time for less money then why not?
simply put -yes

Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
simply put -yes
Ummmm... are you saying "yes" TP is worth the wait ,or... VMP is as good with less wait and less $$ so go there?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Suspended
Go with VMP.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
?

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Go with VMP.
like you criticized me on a post about not talking about the subject on hand- he asked about troyer -not vmp- and yes he[mike troyer] is worth the wait-time to practice what you preach thump

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Ding Ding....

Dont forget the Edge! Order arrives in 2-3 days plug it in and GO!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
like you criticized me on a post about not talking about the subject on hand- he asked about troyer -not vmp- and yes he[mike troyer] is worth the wait-time to practice what you preach thump
Are you drunk? The OP clearly stated he wanted to know if he should go with Troyer or VMP. Jesus Christ.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 AM
I doubt you will get the same thing since it is two different people doing the tunes. I don't know anything about tuning but I highly doubt Troyer and VMP do the EXACT same thing.

I have Troyer tunes and think Troyer is great at tuning the F150. There customer service is great too. I had problems when I switched from an X-Cal1 to X-Cal2 and Troyer fixed the issue quickly. I even got a call from Mike on a Sunday to make sure everything was fixed and I liked my tunes.

I went with Troyer knowing I would have to wait for my tunes but I wanted the experience that Troyer provides to the F150. It is up to YOU to pick who you want to tune YOUR truck. I say go with Troyer for their experience with the F150 but that is just my opinion. Your money, so do what you want with it.

Kevin

Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Troyer is not worth the wait. Go VMP tuning.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:39 AM
If you took a survey of all the posts on this subject from this forum I'm sure Troyer would win hands down. That should tell you something. He also gets my vote.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 AM
However you sugarcoat it, 2-plus months wait on a tune is bordering on absurdity.

Nothing against Mike or his work/product.

I'm still yet to read a half decent or credible reason why it takes that long...

Just keeping it real.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by FX4&EXCURSION
Just a quick note and I'll elaborate more later as I'm exhausted. Anyway - Mike and the team are class acts and very gracious hosts. Whatever folks may say, say what you will, but I gained an exorbitant amount of understanding of exactly what Mike goes through in creating these custom tunes for our trucks first hand. The man pays so much attention to detail it will make your eyes pop. In point, we must have spent an hour splitting hairs surrounding the decision as to whether or not we apply a specific revision to my tune and what the possible effects may or may not be. Bottom line, you have to see him in action, to really understand and appreciate how much he cares about each and every tune and what gains can be realized across the board, i.e. driveability, reliability, efficiency, flat hp/torque curves, etc. Mike will simply not tune to highest peaks and call it a day. Big numbers always sound good, but as I say, Mike looks at the complete and holistic picture and I mean complete. That's why people he takes longer than what folks expect. Sure, give a call to a competitor who can have tunes in days, maybe hours, but I guarantee you they won't have the level of knowledge, quality, R&D, realiabilty, and specificity that Troyer places in each and every tune SPECIFIC for our trucks. No two trucks are created equal. One custom tune does not fit all. If anyone has the understanding of how often Ford changes strategies on these trucks and how much R & D, datalogging, and testing has to go into each revision, one would have a better appreciation of what Mike put's in these tunes and the amount of time fortunately or unfortunately it can take. Mike is a very intelligent individual and knowing what I know now and what was experienced today, I wouldn't let Ghandi touch my truck Be patient folks, it's worth the wait. If anyone is maybe within 10 to 12 hours of their facility, I highly implore you in making the trip, meet them and see Mike in action. Those folks are truly a family and very much make you feel that you're a part of it. For those who couldn't get in touch with him today, blame me, I had him chained the entire day

Anyway here are my numbers!

I have a Magnaflow 16616 and today added a 3.5 AF1 intake in addition to an XCAL 3 loaded with 3 custom on the dyno tunes.

87 Performance
93 Tow
93 Performance

With these three modifications and pulling on the 93 Tow Tune, my truck laid a best of 256.04 HP and 310 lb/ft torque. Not bad! I was stoked I pulled such great numbers. More importantly and I again emphasize, driveability and power was phenominally improved across the board. These numbers will improve as adaptive strategy completes additional cycles and will also realize improved numbers with the 93 Performance loaded.

Mike, thanks again for your tremendous grace and hospitality today and most importantly waking my truck up from a long dead nap. I'll be back soon for more mods!
X2!

Originally Posted by Grubrunner
However you sugarcoat it, 2-plus months wait on a tune is bordering on absurdity.

Nothing against Mike or his work/product.

I'm still yet to read a half decent or credible reason why it takes that long...

Just keeping it real.
Have you ever driven a truck with Troyer Tunes? If not, then you don't understand. There dozens if not hundreds of posts that explain exactly why Mike's tunes take longer than pretty much any one else. Even Mike has come on here and explained why it takes extra time.

- NCSU

PS: Have you seen any threads that say anything like "Mike Troyer Tunes Blew Up My Motor"? In fact, do you see anyone who is dissatisfied with anything mike does? (Besides the wait time?)

Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Have you ever driven a truck with Troyer Tunes? If not, then you don't understand. There dozens if not hundreds of posts that explain exactly why Mike's tunes take longer than pretty much any one else. Even Mike has come on here and explained why it takes extra time.
Have you ever driven a truck with VMP Tunes? I feel the same way that you do. There is no reason why Mike should take months to get a tune out to someone. I'd love to see why Mike believes it takes him longer than anyone else to tune. That'll be real funny.

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
PS: Have you seen any threads that say anything like "Mike Troyer Tunes Blew Up My Motor"? In fact, do you see anyone who is dissatisfied with anything mike does? (Besides the wait time?)
Nope, I haven't. But than again, have you ever seen a thread about how Justin's tunes blew up a motor? I've seen a few dissatisfied with stuff Mike does and how he operates his business. Not to say that it's not going to happen when you run a business though.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Waiting for Troyer's tunes is like your Wedding night..... It's been a long time waiting, but it feels so good..... Troyer's tunes are Tried and True!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Just a bit of info here.

NCSU - Your posting of FX4's results do not apply in this case. FX4 took the acctual truck to Troyer and they tuned it in real time on the dyno. In the world of mail order tunning this is not the case.

For example, Take truck A and truck B, both trucks same everything from the factory, both owners put the same mods on their truck. Both owners call Troyer and want the same type of tunes i.e. 87 Perf, 93 Tow, and 93 Perf. Both owners will recieve the EXACT SAME TUNE.

I don't care what anyone says or how they candy coat it creating tunes based off of a database should not take more than an hour or so. You can have your truck tuned on a Dyno in a matter of hours. From a mail order standpoint there are only so many inputs you can make and once the input is made without the vehicle on the dyno there is NO WAY to see the results, therefore no tweaking needed.

Quick Reply: Is Troyer really worth the wait?