Is Troyer really worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:12 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Last I heard Mike was working as fast as he can. Ask your favorite tuner how many tunes he cranks out in a month. Get an average over a 6 month period. Get an honest answer. Compare that to the number that Mike Troyer tunes. I do not believe that Mike holds back to create an illusion. I own my own business and trust me as soon as I can I bill my customer. I do not wait so I can make the customer thing that I am busy. He will go somewhere else.

JMC

Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ He's refering to the fact that you don't pay till your gear ships.

I'd still love to see some other tuner's dyno charts on here...

- NCSU

PS: I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree...

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-01-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
No offense to anyone but come on its a fuggin truck not a high performance vehicle.
This is the quote of the day.

I have only been on the board for a short time and it seems that almost every other thread lately is a "My daddy is tougher than your daddy" argument. While I have no problem with problem with people being happy about their choice in tuners and sharing that information because that's how I made my decision. If Troyer takes 8,10,15,52 weeks who cares it's his choice to run his business that way and the consumers choice to wait or go somewhere else. Seems pretty simple.

There is no need for a venomous attack on anybody who has another choice in tuners.

I would like to see actual data for mail order custom tuners. My guess it's within a couple of ponies either way with all of the reputable tuners that are discussed daily on this board. I could be wrong but I am happy with my tunes performance.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
^ He's refering to the fact that you don't pay till your gear ships.

I'd still love to see some other tuner's dyno charts on here...

- NCSU
I'd be more than happy to post my dyno chart but what is that going to prove? Not too much considering I was on 37x13.50s and 20x10s with Slowmasters. I'll post it if you want, I'm not afraid.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=01TruBluGT]FX4 you just proved my point.

You make such an effort to point out that the computers in these trucks are so different, what about the motors?? No two motors are alike and unless your tunner is psycic or has a crystal ball he can not account for these variations even if he required a 100 page work sheet and a sample of oil and gas from the truck. The ONLY way to properly tune a vehicle is in real time with the vehicle on the dyno showing you real time results of what your inputs are doing. Yeah you can get a general idea of what the outcome will be, but in the end you have to make your tune safe for the least common denominator.

**QUOTE Truncated due to length**

Excellent points and you sound a lot like myself. I've been a Ford guy all my life with a few BMW's and Acura's thrown in there I've had about 15 Mustangs and most recently a 95 Vortech Supercharged Mustang - 422 RWHP. Miss that car. At any rate, no offense taken, that's what these boards are for, to have respectful, productive, valuable, and informative discussions about one of the things we have a lot of passion for - our trucks! You're on point, these trucks are not performance vehicles, Lightnings, Saleens, Rousch, Harley, notwithstanding, but they are fun and a blast to tune and play with, hell, Civics aren't performance cars, the SI notwithstanding, and look at the following they have.

I very much agree, nothing and I mean nothing in MY opinion replaces real-time tuning on the dyno, that's why I did it. I did the same for my Cobra. I live only 5 hours from Troyer Performance so it was a no brainer, however if I lived 10 hours away, I still would have made the trip. That's how much value and worth this experience provided for me.

However, in the absence of actually tuning your vehicle on the dyno, which is most likely the majority, the next best thing is remote tuning. Troyer, in my opinion, and I have been tuning, modifiying, and racing my cars for the past 20 years, provides the best and most thorough of processes, best practices, and knowledge in tuning each and every 3V F150 safely, reliably, and specifically. This is based on R & D, thousands of strategies, datalogging, and holistic understanding of this platform.

You make a great point in engine variances, and one point I failed to include. That's why I enjoy having these types of discussion. It's impossible to account for engine variances, driveline variances, etc. off dyno. Understand in the 21st century, variances are extremely tighter and more consistent than of old, but, variances are still a factor. To help mitigate these variances, Mike relies on a wealth of datalog analysis, many years of experience, and customer feedback in ensuring the best possible tune for that particular vehicle. No one always gets it right the first time, but utilizing the capabilites of datalogging tools inherent of the XCAL series, results can be sent to Mike for further analysis and tweaking for free up to sixty days I believe post purchase. Don't discount those worksheets. They are extremely important in understanding YOUR vehicle, it's modifications, maintenance history etc. What's the point of having a canned tune for 93 performance, if it's not available in your area? You just paid for third tune you can't use. How can you expect to realize consistent and attainable power delivery if your fuel filter hasn't been changed for 50 thousand miles? These worksheets set expectations for Troyer as well as the customer. Based on responses of the worksheets, Mike will be able to make recommendations on current state in order to achieve maximum performance from the tunes he provides you. Towing is a big one, A/F requirements and others parameters are different due to additional loads. Bottom line, what you do and don't do is the customer's decision. Again, set expectations.

All mail order tunes do not ask for your computer code. You can go buy a SuperChips 17xx and apply it to a whole range of vehicles as applicable. The boutique tuners may be different, but can't comment as I don't have first hand knowledge.

Relevant to oil, what type of weight, brands, syn, non-syn, etc. does make a difference. Quality of oil is just as important in my opinion as quality of gas, and bottom line will impact performance outcome. However, oil discussion, deserves a thread all of its own

Bottom line, I think you and I are on the same page relevent to real time tuning, but for those who don't have that luxury, and based on my experience and how Troyer operates, he is in the top tier of tuning options. Having choices is a good thing.

By the way, I love those 03 Mach's - In white please

Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by FX4&EXCURSION
Bottom line, I think you and I are on the same page relevent to real time tuning, but for those who don't have that luxury, and based on my experience and how Troyer operates, he is in the top tier of tuning options. Having choices is a good thing.
I know you weren't talking to me but I'd like to add that I think that makes three of us that are on the same page. These forums are to voice our opinions about every which possible option out there. Just imagine if we didn't have these forums, we'd be having to risk it and take chances. I believe that Troyer is one of the best tuners out there but on the same note, I believe Justin with VMP is ALSO one of the best tuners. Choices, it's what makes the world go 'round.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:42 PM
So let me get this right, you are willing to pay for a tune, wait 2 months for it, then go to a dyno facility and pay them to datalog your truck, send the data back and wait more time for a revised tune, go back and pay the dyno place AGAIN to datalog, send that info back......wait again...........hope you are lucky and he managed to nail it on the head on the second attempt so you don't have to go back to the dyno facility AGAIN and pay them more money.

All of this time and waiting....and extra money spent when the dyno facility could have probably had you tuned and out the door in a matter of hours. Does Troyer reimburst you for the money spent at the dyno datalogging your truck???? Not sure what the going rate is across the country but the facility closest to me is usually about $60.00 for 3 pulls, 3 tunes I would want a minimum of 2 pulls on each so we are looking at $180 for the first go round, and $180 for the second go round. So thats $360 added to whatever you spent on the initial 3 tunes....got to put you close to the $1000 mark when all is said and done.
Not at all. The datalogging is done via the tuner which is uploadable to a laptop/desktop via a USB cable. It's all included with the XCAL tuners. This information can be sent to Troyer for analysis in determining how the tunes provided are behaving relevant to your application and modified if necessary and based on customer preferences after they have had seat time and have gone through enough drive cycles to surmise a valid experience.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Suspended
Not at all. The datalogging is done via the tuner which is uploadable to a laptop/desktop via a USB cable. It's all included with the XCAL tuners. This information can be sent to Troyer for analysis in determining how the tunes provided are behaving relevant to your application and modified if necessary and based on customer preferences after they have had seat time and have gone through enough drive cycles to surmise a valid experience.
I'm not trying to start another pissing match since it seems the one we got going earlier has died down. I'd like to add I'm sure Justin would be happy to make adjustments to your tune if you take the time to datalog.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I know you weren't talking to me but I'd like to add that I think that makes three of us that are on the same page. These forums are to voice our opinions about every which possible option out there. Just imagine if we didn't have these forums, we'd be having to risk it and take chances. I believe that Troyer is one of the best tuners out there but on the same note, I believe Justin with VMP is ALSO one of the best tuners. Choices, it's what makes the world go 'round.
I very much agree with you. I'll be honest, I don't have experience or knowledge of VMP and their operations, so I find it impossible for me to comment or surmise opinions. With that said, based on your experiences and they come across as valid, you seem to have had a great experience with them in addition to meeting your expectations. I think that's great What works for ying doesn't always work for yang.

If all of us here agreed on everything, there would be nothing to share, or anything to have fun arguing about.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM

By the way, I love those 03 Mach's - In white please

Sorry no white...Azure Blue the Color that was ONLY available on Mach's

but white does look good on Mustangs though lol

Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'm not trying to start another pissing match since it seems the one we got going earlier has died down. I'd like to add I'm sure Justin would be happy to make adjustments to your tune if you take the time to datalog.
Didn't think that at all. I think we're having good discussion.

Like we said before, options are good.

SFM
I'd love to see some dynocharts... Just list what the mods are to the truck.. I think it still shows alot, regardless of mods or no mods. Especially baseline runs followed by "tuned runs" .

Suspended
I very much agree with you. I'll be honest, I don't have experience or knowledge of VMP and their operations, so I find it impossible for me to comment or surmise opinions. With that said, based on your experiences and they come across as valid, you seem to have had a great experience with them in addition to meeting your expectations. I think that's great What works for ying doesn't always work for yang.

If all of us here agreed on everything, there would be nothing to share, or anything to have fun arguing about.
I agree, now where did I put my boxing gloves !?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM

Sorry no white...Azure Blue the Color that was ONLY available on Mach's

but white does look good on Mustangs though lol

Damn that Cobra is sweet Exactly how my 95 used to look. I'm gonna have to dig up some pictures.

Sweet rides! Now crop out that GMC in the background of the Mach pic!

Last edited by FX4&EXCURSION; 02-01-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SFM
I'd love to see some dynocharts... Just list what the mods are to the truck.. I think it still shows alot, regardless of mods or no mods. Especially baseline runs followed by "tuned runs" .
Here you go. This was for my 2006 F150 5.4L with 3.73LS. I had 37x13.50s with 20x10 wheels. As far as performance mods only Xcal2, S&B CAI, and true dual Flowmaster Original 40s with 2.25" tubing which costed me a lot of torque as you can see. Green was just a "starter" tune and Blue was my final tune. I think my numbers were damn good, especially considering how much rotational mass I had and the temperature for both runs.

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 02-01-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Troyer really worth the wait?