Is Troyer really worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
interesting- my customers who want the service of my buisiness wait,and come back in the future, and refer future customers-these are the customers i want for my co...
Do you intentionally make them wait? I don't. They will not call back. After waiting too long a customer will leave. How long is too long is the part that varies. Mike's customers seem to be willing to wait 8 weeks before they start to get hot under the collar. How long do yours wait till they leave? A day, month, year? I am in the animal feed business. When the cows are hungry they cannot wait. So my customer's waiting grace period is very short. The point I tried to make, and seem to have failed, is "Mike does not intentionally make his customers wait". Again, do you?

JMC

Old 02-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmc-sorry if i misinformed you-i do not intentionally make them wait but i have customers who wait for my services and pay more- must be a reason huh?i own a hvac company

Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No problem. that was the point that I was trying to make; no one intentionally makes their customers wait. I didn't mean to be rude or condescending. Sorry if i cam off that way.

JMC

Old 02-02-2008, 11:37 PM
jmc-sorry if i misinformed you-i do not intentionally make them wait but i have customers who wait for my services and pay more- must be a reason huh?i own a hvac company
You must do good work if they wait for HVAC service.

Normally if someone's heater stops working in the middle of winter with freezing temps, or their A/C stops working in 90+ deg. summer temps, they usually don't want to wait too long. At least that how it is around here.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
Yeah I called twice and left a messages a a "potential customer." I contacted him through the forums also.

It's merely about the [almost] trimester it takes from go-to-whoa for a Troyer tune.
Well of course everyone's experience is diff. but I called and spoke w/Crystal and asked to speak w/Mike and while she said he was busy, that she would take a message and have him call me back. In less than 24 hours (before noon the following day) Mike called me up and talked my ear off for 94 mins as I unsuccessfully tried to keep up w/taking notes.

I don't understand why we have to bash one product or another. If you do your research and want to go w/Justin @ VMP, then spend your money there and I wish you the most and greatest success w/your tunes. If you go w/Mike (which is who I have chosen to go with) then I wish you the same. I don't say that your Adidas suck just b/c I choose to wear Nike. I mean come on, we're not talking about life or death here, we're talking about some freakin tunes to get some freakin extra HP/torque out of your truck.

In my opinion track record/history has ALOT to do w/whom I choose to 'mess' with my truck and Mike has the history to back up his work. If I had to have leg surgery and had the choice between the absolute best new kid surgery on the block who knew his stuff to a "T" and was the absolute bomb or had to go with the doc who knew just as much, but had been in practice for 2decades and had a 2month long waiting list just to get in to see him, then I personally would go w/the older more experienced Doc. Having absolute knowledge and smarts is totally awesome (which Justin may indeed have, I don't know, but it does indeed sound as tho he knows his stuff. Even in my convo w/Mike he gave Justin his props as a knowledgeable young man) but if you can have knowledge, smarts, and longevity in the game, then who cares that it takes 8 weeks to get your tunes?? I mean we're talking about a truck that you prob spent 30K on and will be keeping for atleast 2 years, right? So in the big scheme of everything w/all things put into consideration I really don't understand why people complain about a measly 60 day wait???... I mean, I don't really consider myself an overly patient guy, and maybe it's cuz I'm 25yrs old (and realize that I'm just a young buc who doesn't know shiznit) and this is my first brand new vehicle that I plan on keeping till the wheels fall off, but w/how fast time is flying lately (which I think we can all atest to and agree with!) 8 weeks will be here before you know it.

Bottom line...IMHO, YES, Troyer Tunes are indeed worth the wait. Nothing at all against Justin, but give him a couple of decades in the game (yes, in ALL arenas in the alpha competative male society, there is a time period/proving ground scenario) to prove his worth & hold his own and I will be singing his praises as well.

Last edited by dre23; 02-03-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Talking 2 Thumbs Up For Thumper For Postin Dyno Results: Any Others Care To Step Up As Well?

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Here you go. This was for my 2006 F150 5.4L with 3.73LS. I had 37x13.50s with 20x10 wheels. As far as performance mods only Xcal2, S&B CAI, and true dual Flowmaster Original 40s with 2.25" tubing which costed me a lot of torque as you can see. Green was just a "starter" tune and Blue was my final tune. I think my numbers were damn good, especially considering how much rotational mass I had and the temperature for both runs.

See, that just goes to show you that Justin and VMP tuning do know what they are doing and that Thumper made a good choice to CHOOSE to go w/them and it worked out for him...no harm done. I woudn't want Mike and TP to be the only tuners out there cuz then you can get kinda lax and fall back on your heels cuz you know that you got the entire market covered. Competition and choice is an excellent thing.

Great results Thumper!

I hope to put my Troyer Dyno results up when all is completed. Of course our mods are different so not really an apples to apples comparison, but if peeps are interested, then I have no prob w/posting them up...but it's gonna be a lil minute. I'm not scheduled to go down to VA to Mike's shop until March (still recovering from 3 major surgeries in December).

Old 02-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
Those of us that went with Troyer and are very happy with the results will tell you the wait was well worth it in the end. Those that weren't willing to wait and instead went with something else and were very happy with the results will tell you the wait isn't worth it.

Bottom line is the OP is not going to get unbiased answers to his questions because we are all pretty much happy with the direction we took in regards to our tunes. Unless you've actually used both tunes for significant periods of time you simply can't say one tuner is better than the other. Sure Mike's been at it longer than Justin and Mike specializes in tuning F150's where Justin seems to specialize in Mustangs. IMO that makes Mike better and is ultimately what made me go with Mike. That's exactly all it is though, MY OPINION! Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong. I don't understand why these tuning threads always tuner threads always turn into pissing matches where one side bashes the other.

How can you bash something that you've never tried?
I know I'm beating a dead horse w/my 3 posts back to back to back, but never have truer words been spoken!

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating just a tad bit, but you all get what I'm saying. It's almost as if someone praises the tuner that you personally didn't get that you all of the sudden have a personal vendetta not only against the tuner but against the customer who bought the tunes. I mean it's not like the difference is so huge that Mike (or Justin) is gonna give me an extra 150HP compared to other guy. I know that there are so many variables to take into account and that a true 'equal' comparison will/cannot ever really be done, but I'd be interested in seeing how small the margin of difference truly is. In my opinion (but what do I know?), I think that they both offer quality products, and are truly trying to please the market of us out here who are trying to enhance our F-150's.

To the OP, I suggest to try and do as much research as possible and to go w/whomever you feel in your gut is gonna give you the best service and bang for your buck and in the end you will be happy I believe.

All of this hateration is so ridiculous guys...come on, we are here to help eachother.

And from a money making stand point, if Mike could pump out tunes in 1 week, then why wouldn't he???...He sure would stand to make a heck of alot more money alot more quickly than making people wait 8weeks. I mean, what does he have to gain by making his customers wait 2 months? To me that says something about his character b/c he surely could be taking shortcuts and just 'pumpin' out tune after tune and not paying as much time and attention to them as he does now. He told me that when he does the dyno pulls that he will not take it off of there until he is personally happy w/the results that he is reading, and that if he is personally happy, then he knows that his customer will be exstatic!

From my LONG convo w/him on the phone, I think that it just comes down to lack of manpower at his company (it's himself, Anita Troyer, and a few other customer service people who help answer the phones and maybe a couple of other techs/mechanics...he wants to personally do these tunes & pulls himself so that they have his seal of approval before they leave his shop...it is not like he is running a shop w/100+ trained employees to do what he does & know what he knows...he is doing this pretty much all by himself, so I think that that would more than explain why it takes "so long" before he is able to get your tunes out to you, and once again (Yes, I'll finally end on this note...) in my opinion, that is worth the wait. Does that make it (the tunes) or him better than VMP or other competitors out there???...I would say yes & no. No in the sense that I really don't think that the performance gains that I would get from VMP would be that much different than what I get from him. But yes in the sense, that it is REALLY self-assuring to me to know that the owner of the company and the man who has been working specifically on F-150's for going on 2 decades has personally worked on my tunes/truck is in itself worth the wait.

Okay, I know I've talked enough 2nite...I'm shutting up.

Last edited by dre23; 02-03-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by dre23
Well of course everyone's experience is diff. but I called and spoke w/Crystal and asked to speak w/Mike and while she said he was busy, that she would take a message and have him call me back. In less than 24 hours (before noon the following day) Mike called me up and talked my ear off for 94 mins as I unsuccessfully tried to keep up w/taking notes.

I don't understand why we have to bash one product or another. If you do your research and want to go w/Justin @ VMP, then spend your money there and I wish you the most and greatest success w/your tunes. If you go w/Mike (which is who I have chosen to go with) then I wish you the same. I don't say that your Adidas suck just b/c I choose to wear Nike. I mean come on, we're not talking about life or death here, we're talking about some freakin tunes to get some freakin extra HP/torque out of your truck.

In my opinion track record/history has ALOT to do w/whom I choose to 'mess' with my truck and Mike has the history to back up his work. If I had to have leg surgery and had the choice between the absolute best new kid surgery on the block who knew his stuff to a "T" and was the absolute bomb or had to go with the doc who knew just as much, but had been in practice for 2decades and had a 2month long waiting list just to get in to see him, then I personally would go w/the older more experienced Doc. Having absolute knowledge and smarts is totally awesome (which Justin may indeed have, I don't know, but it does indeed sound as tho he knows his stuff. Even in my convo w/Mike he gave Justin his props as a knowledgeable young man) but if you can have knowledge, smarts, and longevity in the game, then who cares that it takes 8 weeks to get your tunes?? I mean we're talking about a truck that you prob spent 30K on and will be keeping for atleast 2 years, right? So in the big scheme of everything w/all things put into consideration I really don't understand why people complain about a measly 60 day wait???... I mean, I don't really consider myself an overly patient guy, and maybe it's cuz I'm 25yrs old (and realize that I'm just a young buc who doesn't know shiznit) and this is my first brand new vehicle that I plan on keeping till the wheels fall off, but w/how fast time is flying lately (which I think we can all atest to and agree with!) 8 weeks will be here before you know it.

Bottom line...IMHO, YES, Troyer Tunes are indeed worth the wait. Nothing at all against Justin, but give him a couple of decades in the game (yes, in ALL arenas in the alpha competative male society, there is a time period/proving ground scenario) to prove his worth & hold his own and I will be singing his praises as well.

Don't you feel guilty for talking to him on the phone for 94 minutes? I mean atthelake27 has been waiting for his tune for what, 13 or 14 weeks now? Just think, Mike could have finished his tune and sent it out instead of wasting all that time on the phone!

Tuning now is much different than it was 20 years ago, and I think it will be much different 20 years from now too. Not that experience doesn't count, because it certainly does, but in areas that change that much over time it isn't quite the same as leg surgery.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 AM
very good posts dre23

Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
who is VMP is there a web site????

Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 AM
?

Originally Posted by maxhighlife
www.vmptuning.com
thumpermx113

Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
?

Originally Posted by Wild Bill
You must do good work if they wait for HVAC service.

Normally if someone's heater stops working in the middle of winter with freezing temps, or their A/C stops working in 90+ deg. summer temps, they usually don't want to wait too long. At least that how it is around here.
if it's not an emergency they'll wait-also for installs,in emergencies-i make it first priority to do my damndest to take care of them

Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents on this matter is....

I had a Edge tuner, bought it from the group buy we done long ago, before they hit the market and was concerned about problems like no starts, shifting problems after installing it... So I sold it and called Mike when he did the first group buy, as I live a few hrs from his shop...

I too am super picky who works on my truck, after talking to him for about 75 minites... yes if you call to talk to Mike, make sure you are on a land line or cell is fully charged....

His vast knowledge of the F series platform is just amazing and with his company being the oldest SCT dealer in the USA, I turned him loose on my truck... As to the wait, I don't mind, I want it done right....

I got the tunes, loaded them and it was day and night difference over stock and Edge... took my truck up for a dyno test 2 weeks later, it was spot on from get go, NO ADJUSTMENTS needed... now in my opinion, to get a mail order custom tune and need no adjustments at Dyno testing isn't luck, its from knowing exactly what you are doing.... experience, bottom line..

I will not comment on VMP Tuning as I have no experience with it... But will say Bob is a Great guy to deal with as I have dealt with him on other things..

Edge tuning, well I'll say no more on that either, but I do commend Bill for going above and way beyond to help people out and make things right...

Last edited by F150Truck'in; 02-03-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Suspended
Thanks Dre23 !

www.vmptuning.com
thumpermx113
Mwahaha, now isn't that sweet of you.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF and when I need leg surgery I'M going to Mike

Quick Reply: Is Troyer really worth the wait?