Is Troyer really worth the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thump
Just wanted to have both charts on the same page...

Edited because Thump got his panties in a bunch:
Originally Posted by thump
This was for my 2006 F150 5.4L with 3.73LS. I had 37x13.50s with 20x10 wheels. As far as performance mods only Xcal2, S&B CAI, and true dual Flowmaster Original 40s with 2.25" tubing which costed me a lot of torque as you can see. Green was just a "starter" tune and Blue was my final tune
Here's mine...

2005, 4x4, 3.73LS, 5.4L, with a 3.25 AirForce1 intake, true dual exhaust, 2.25" pipes with an X-pipe just in front of 2 SISO Flowmaster 40s. Running on stock 18" rims and stock 275/65/18s. Unfortunately I do not have a stock dyno run.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that I was running Troyer Performance's 93 Octane Performance tune.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-01-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Suspended
How about putting the information about my tune/truck back in there? Real mature, I like how you did that.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
How about putting the information about my tune/truck back in there? Real mature, I like how you did that.
I wasn't trying to manipulate anything, I just posted your graph so they'd be on the same page. Calm down.

- NCSU

Old 02-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Suspended
So you took the time to edit out the information I posted? LOL.. Alright but thanks for fixing it.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=FX4&EXCURSION]
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
Just a bit of info here.

For example, Take truck A and truck B, both trucks same everything from the factory, both owners put the same mods on their truck. Both owners call Troyer and want the same type of tunes i.e. 87 Perf, 93 Tow, and 93 Perf. Both owners will recieve the EXACT SAME TUNE.

QUOTE]

Wrong and double wrong. I'm not entirely sure what basis or experience is exercised here relevant to the above quote.

Bottom line, as I said in another post, Truck A and Truck B are NEVER the same. All modifications, trim levels, etc. can be created equal, however, no two ECU's nor their inherent strategies, nor regional demographics are ever identical unless Truck A and Truck B are manufactured back to back on the same day on the same line at the same plant, and even then that's not a guarantee. Ford changes and revises ECU strategies hundreds of times a month and Troyer customizes his tunes around a customers particular strategy for THAT ECU/Manufacturing Metric, and hundreds of other parameters, i.e. regional gas types, performance criteria, usage metrics, current state of maintenance, etc. Why do you think Troyer requires a customer to fill out 4 pages of worksheets? I'd like to know of any other tuner who requires such information and that will flat out refuse tuning a vehicle until such an interview is conducted and accepted. "Uh Mr. Superchips, uh, send me a FlashPaqTuner, overnight, and I think my Truck is an 05 F150" "No problem!, our tuner and tunes will work for all 2004 up F150's, plus it will work in your Ranger & Expedition!" This may be perfectly acceptable for weekend Bob who wants a little extra pep in his step.

If you want a set of tunes that are exact across a particular product line with assumptions of design made to cover dozens of different vehicles, owner habits, driving scenarios etc. AND want it next day, give Super Chips a call or one of the many advertised express tuners in the yellow pages.

I'm curious, what exactly is changed/adjusted in the tune with the information on these hundreds of parameters?

And are these particular mail order tunes so precise that if the driver changes one or two or however many of the hundreds of parameters (such as using gas from a different gas station, or using a different oil filter, or driving at a different elevation, or putting off the maintenance schedule until next week, or driving against the wind rather than with the wind, or whatever), the vehicle won't run right and potentially cause damage to the vehicle due to setting the tune for what sounds like a rather narrow and specific set of parameters?

Are the tunes that narrowly set? And if so, how are they confirmed to be correct, since mail order tunes are not as accurate as dyno tunes?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 PM
So you took the time to edit out the information I posted? LOL.. Alright but thanks for fixing it.
God you're paranoid. I didn't edit anything out, I just went back a page, did a right click on the image of your dyno chart, clicked on properties, got the direct link to your image, then pasted it into my post.

Why are you being so defensive??

- NCSU

Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
I'm curious, what exactly is changed/adjusted in the tune with the information on these hundreds of parameters?
Unfortunately only the tuners can really answer that, and I don't think that any of them are going to be giving away their trade secrets.

And are these particular mail order tunes so precise that if the driver changes one or two or however many of the hundreds of parameters (such as using gas from a different gas station, or using a different oil filter, or driving at a different elevation, or putting off the maintenance schedule until next week, or driving against the wind rather than with the wind, or whatever), the vehicle won't run right and potentially cause damage to the vehicle due to setting the tune for what sounds like a rather narrow and specific set of parameters?

Are the tunes that narrowly set? And if so, how are they confirmed to be correct, since mail order tunes are not as accurate as dyno tunes?
Short answer is no, they are not that narrowly set. I can only talk about Troyer tunes, but Mike tunes your vehicle not only so it makes more power, but is also safe to drive. To get a better answer I'd suggest calling Mike at Troyer Performance, or Justin at VMP

Old 02-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Unfortunately only the tuners can really answer that, and I don't think that any of them are going to be giving away their trade secrets.

Short answer is no, they are not that narrowly set. I can only talk about Troyer tunes, but Mike tunes your vehicle not only so it makes more power, but is also safe to drive. To get a better answer I'd suggest calling Mike at Troyer Performance, or Justin at VMP
Ok, so that brings me to the question: why are hundreds of specific parameters needed if they are not being utilized for a narrowly set tune?

Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Ok, so that brings me to the question: why are hundreds of specific parameters needed if they are not being utilized for a narrowly set tune?
To get those answers you'll have to talk to the tuners directly. I think the issue is arising from the definition "Narrow". The tunes are not so specific that

using gas from a different gas station, or using a different oil filter, or driving at a different elevation, or putting off the maintenance schedule until next week, or driving against the wind rather than with the wind, or whatever), the vehicle won't run right and potentially cause damage to the vehicle
But they are specific enough that my tune won't run on the 2005 F-150 that parks next to me at work. I think a nice long talk with Mr. Troyer would be of the most benefit to you. (And anyone who's talked to Mike knows that the key word in the previous sentence is *long* )

- NCSU

Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Suspended
God you're paranoid. I didn't edit anything out, I just went back a page, did a right click on the image of your dyno chart, clicked on properties, got the direct link to your image, then pasted it into my post.
I'm not being paranoid at all. It surely looked like you were trying to manipulate the information because if you had just quoted my post you would of got everything, not just the picture of my graph. That's all. I'm not really going to argue about this in this thread but if you really want to keep talking about it, feel free to PM me about it. But, if that's not what you had intended so be it.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Here you go. This was for my 2006 F150 5.4L with 3.73LS. I had 37x13.50s with 20x10 wheels. As far as performance mods only Xcal2, S&B CAI, and true dual Flowmaster Original 40s with 2.25" tubing which costed me a lot of torque as you can see. Green was just a "starter" tune and Blue was my final tune. I think my numbers were damn good, especially considering how much rotational mass I had and the temperature for both runs.

Hey Thump, do you think it's a good idea to have your RPMs up to +/-5800? Just wondering since it doesn't seem to get you any extra power.

- NCSU

I know you don't have the truck anymore, but the question is still valid.

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-01-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Suspended
Hey Thump, do you think it's a good idea to have your RPMs up to +/-5800? Just wondering since it doesn't seem to get you any extra power.
Are you trying to just derail this thread some more? If you really want to know the answer to that question, leave it for PMs. This thread is about Troyer taking forever to write tunes, not trying to understand how a dyno works.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:31 PM
To get those answers you'll have to talk to the tuners directly. I think the issue is arising from the definition "Narrow". The tunes are not so specific that

But they are specific enough that my tune won't run on the 2005 F-150 that parks next to me at work. I think a nice long talk with Mr. Troyer would be of the most benefit to you. (And anyone who's talked to Mike knows that the key word in the previous sentence is *long* )

- NCSU
From what I understand, if your ECU codes are different it certainly won't run on another truck. If they are the same you could probably load the tune, but it might not run right and/or it could cause damage.

Edit: Maybe someone else can answer why all the specific parameters are needed if the tunes aren't set specific for that. That is my question...

Last edited by Wild Bill; 02-01-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Are you trying to just derail this thread some more? If you really want to know the answer to that question, leave it for PMs. This thread is about Troyer taking forever to write tunes, not trying to understand how a dyno works.
Wow, you really do have a chip on your shoulder don't you? Didn't you just say,
These forums are to voice our opinions about every which possible option out there.
I really was just curious, and since it's a tuning related question I figured other people might be interested in the answer. Should I start a new thread just to ask that question?

- NCSU (Bows the 12k+ postcount god.)

Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Suspended
Are you going to be happy If I answer your sincere question?

My shift points weren't set of 5800 RPMs, rather around 5,500 RPMs. But when the dyno run was being done, it was locked into gear thus hitting the rev limiter. Rev limiters are always set a few hundred RPMs above the shift points.

PS: I don't care about a post count, you can set it to zero, wouldn't bother me. RP has 20,000+ posts, does that mean he has a chip on his shoulder?

From what I understand, if your ECU codes are different it certainly won't run on another truck. If they are the same you could probably load the tune, but it might not run right and/or it could cause damage.

Edit: Maybe someone else can answer why all the specific parameters are needed if the tunes aren't set specific for that. That is my question...
No, they won't work unless the PCM code is the same. I don't see why it wouldn't run right or do any damage, if both vehicles had the same mods, lived in the same area, used the same octane rating gas.

Now your second question is a little more difficult to answer "fully". But the reason for all of these parameters is merely because there are always different circumstances for each vehicle especially when you're dealing with a modded vehicle with twin turbos, etc.

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 02-01-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Troyer really worth the wait?