Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89birddog
I posted above about this thread, key/buttons work great, however i noticed this weekend that neither one of my original remotes work to lock/unlock truck, any suggestions
You have to program all three at the same time. Just do the ignition on off deal, then operate all three remotes within the time allotted.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys just a little info to clear up the will it work or not debate.

The fusion, edge, and most vehicles from 04+ (exception F150 Platinum) all use the SPATS (Secure Passive Anti-Theft System) system. Its a more secure Pats and makes it a bit harder to be stolen.

All of the 97-03 Fords with a few minor exceptions use a PATS system.

The easiest way to determine if you have a PATS, SPATS or no ATS system is to look at the head of the key. If you have a PATS, it will be a rectangular shaped head with an offset keyhole and a small rectangle on the top of the key. If you have the head of the key the same width as the rest of the key (like your house key) you do not have a ATS system. All others are going to err towards SPATS (most of the time the fusion style keys or the keys like the newer trucks)

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. And as a heads up I know because I install Remote starts for a living.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

so do u think a fusion key will work on the 97-03 trucks? or not?

i know the flip fusion key/remote will not but not sure about the regular fusion key/remote.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Anyone wanna try to answer post #38?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know if the FCC ID has to match for it to work, for sure?

I have a 2004 truck but on my Key FOB the FCC ID is CWTWB1U212 which seems to match the 2003 style.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by rhislo
Trial and Error wouldnt hurt anything i guess

Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Question

I read through the thread and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone ask about the "eBay Key" compability with the Memory Seats. When I click my clicker, it knows it's me and gets ready to adjust the seat and pedals to my settings. The other fob isn't, but could be, set to say, my wife's seat and pedal settings. Is this function still available with the "eBay Keys"?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Anyone else?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the write-up.

Here's my situation...I have a 97 F150 that I've installed a 2003 4.6L engine/trans/xfer. I am using the '03 PCM which meant I had to add the PATS system and instrument cluster. SO...I have NO Pats keys that match the PCM. All parts came from different vehicles.

What needs to be done here? I'm 80% done with the conversion.
If you have the wiring done correctly ( Cluster to PCM and PATS receiver antenna to ign key cylinder mount, etc ) next thing is you need to have the PATS keys programmed to the HEC ( Cluster ).
This requires the HEC to have all programmed keys erased and the next 2 keys cycled will be programmed into the HEC.
The HEC also needs the PCM_ID cleared, so it can relearn the new PCM_ID from the PCM.

Having the wiring completed is a big item with what you are trying to do. You make no note if you have the PATS receiver etc all installed in the 80% complete statement.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
If you have the wiring done correctly ( Cluster to PCM and PATS receiver antenna to ign key cylinder mount, etc ) next thing is you need to have the PATS keys programmed to the HEC ( Cluster ).
This requires the HEC to have all programmed keys erased and the next 2 keys cycled will be programmed into the HEC.
The HEC also needs the PCM_ID cleared, so it can relearn the new PCM_ID from the PCM.

Having the wiring completed is a big item with what you are trying to do. You make no note if you have the PATS receiver etc all installed in the 80% complete statement.
THANK YOU!! That's the answer I was looking for Yes, the PATS receiver and it's 4 wires (pwr, gnd, TX, RX) are installed and connected. All PCM to trans and engine and dash wiring mods are done. I will do a final ring out before I turn on the juice. The only wiring I have left is: 1)adding the PCM controlled relay for the AC circuit (the '97 system put power to the AC clutch straight through the dash switch and pressure/cycle switches...the '03 utilizes a ground signal to an AC relay via the PCM), and 2)Splitting the main lead from the PCM power relay..the '97 goes straight to a splice group, whereas the '03 splits into 2 leads where each goes through a 15A fuse then each to a splice group. The nice thing is, I have empty fuse sockets in the power dist box and an empty relay socket in the aux relay panel( the one where the trailer towing relays are).

Thanks again for the clarification! I now know that the key code and PCM code are stored in the dash cluster thus the need to program both the keys and PCM to the cluster. That is correct, right?

Only thing left after that is put the intake manifold on!!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 AM

...<snip>....
Thanks again for the clarification! I now know that the key code and PCM code are stored in the dash cluster thus the need to program both the keys and PCM to the cluster. That is correct, right?
...<snip>....
That is correct.

The PATS keys, they could be individually programmed, but best to do a PATS erase, to start over.
The PCM_ID is an erase, so it can relearn the one that is installed.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
That is correct.

The PATS keys, they could be individually programmed, but best to do a PATS erase, to start over.
The PCM_ID is an erase, so it can relearn the one that is installed.
You ARE the man!!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
heres a question for you guys, I installed the Lariat gauge cluster into my 2004 XLT and had the dealer program the cluster for my truck, my question is I only have one key so thats all they programmed, when I buy the second key can they just program the second key and will it work or will they have to program the instrument cluster again?

thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by caz345
heres a question for you guys, I installed the Lariat gauge cluster into my 2004 XLT and had the dealer program the cluster for my truck, my question is I only have one key so thats all they programmed, when I buy the second key can they just program the second key and will it work or will they have to program the instrument cluster again?

thanks
You will need to have a dealer or PATS locksmith program the 2nd key.

Owners manual has the procedure for programming a 3rd key, takes 2 working keys to program additional keys.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Awesome site!

Just picked up a new (to me) 07 Screw and this thread saved me from the Ford Dealers here. I programmed my key fob and made my keypad functional. Thanks!

Lots of good stuff here at F150online. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in the future.

Quick Reply: PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info