How-To: Push-button Start (2004-2008)

Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i guess, where is it or do i have to buy it

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by detroitbuilt
hey im kinda confused, whats the valet switch
The "Valet switch" is a switch that converts your ignition back to normal operating with the key...or you can still use the push button, just incase you need to drop the truck off for like the dealer or valet your car and they can start it normally.

I have my switch on a simple on/off switch and is hidden under the column.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
ahhhh found it on autozone, like a toggle switch. how would i wire it (for this push button purpose). Does it matter if the original wire and the added wire are touching each other on one of the switches terminals?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by gcw
a good shoping list for tonight:

(1)a switch that looks like this i got one at advanced for 5 bucks
http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/578609.html
(2) 3ft 12ga wire
(2) blue butt conectors
(2) blue horseshoe ends idk what there called its to slide around a screw
(1) tube super glue
more but i cant remember
Did you figure out if this is everything I would need? As well did you figure out what the blue horseshow thing is called? I want to start to try doing this. Seems wicked. Nice tread.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 AM
love the mod, but i have to be honest...i dont know if it's the fact that it's 3:30am and i'm a few hundred miles from my truck or not, but i found this thread very hard to follow with all the different drawings and pics...is there anyway someone can clean this procedure up?? Maybe it'll make sense when i'm actually looking at it, but for now i'm kinda hesitant to attempt it

Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Neat!!!! GCW I know you cut the ignition wires because you only had those connectors. I don't want to completely cut the wires so I can return to stock if I sell later. If I just use connecters to tap the ignition wires and run to the button, the key should still turn the engine over, correct? If so, this defeats the purpose of the mod. Has anyone done the mod without cutting the wires?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by FX4Nick
Neat!!!! GCW I know you cut the ignition wires because you only had those connectors. I don't want to completely cut the wires so I can return to stock if I sell later. If I just use connecters to tap the ignition wires and run to the button, the key should still turn the engine over, correct? If so, this defeats the purpose of the mod. Has anyone done the mod without cutting the wires?

I'll let you know for sure after I try it out tonight, but I believe that no, that is not correct if you don't put in the valet switch, because you are leaving the red/blue wire that goes back to the key unhooked to anything. The signal to the ignition is created when the power coming from the the red/blue wire hits the blue/green wire when the button is pushed.

At least that is my interpretation, someone please correct me if I am wrong. I WILL be doing this tonight, it is too cool.

Thanks GCW

Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM
So I have been wanting to do this on my 2000 expedition but I've been a little cautious since i have a couple of questions. On the 98-03's, are the wires and the colors the same as they are in the 04-08's? I just dont want to start hacking into my wiring to find out i dont know which wires im cutting in to. Other than that though this mod looks fantastic and if my questions get cleared up, I'll be doing it this weekend.
Thanks

Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
No Key

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but has anybody tried to do this mod with bypassing the PATS system altogether? In other words, just get in the truck and push the button to start, without a key at all. And if so, is the valet switch still possible?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Just finished up this project yesterday and needless to say, I'm in love with it. I did a little write up as well as i noticed the process was slightly different for my 2000 expedition and i also included a couple of pictures of the wiring. Oh and i included how to do the valet switch with pictures...and a video too

PUSH START IGNITION WRITE UP W/ PICS

Thanks gcw for the initial write up and idea!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
ok guys ive tried this and i cant do it.. at all. is there a difference between and two way switch and a three way? if im saying that right.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by spdkilz02
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PC...T/?image=large

will that one work for this mod? i see that it is 15A but doesn't say if that is for the 6v or 12v im thinking it is for the 12v
This one will work.

Keep It Clean Wiring Illuminated Push Button Starter Switches

Brand Keep it Clean Wiring
Manufacturer's Part Number PUSH-B
Part Type Electrical Switches
Product Line Keep It Clean Wiring Illuminated Push Button Starter Switches
Summit Racing Part Number HFM-PUSH-B

Switch Actuation Style Push button
Circuit Activation Momentary
Pole Single
Throw Double
Lighted Yes
Light Color Red
Safety Cover No
Terminal Type Blade
Labeled No
Weatherproof Sealed No
Wiring Included No
Relay Included No
Switch Material Plastic
Switch Finish Black
Quantity Sold individually.

One touch of the button starts your engine.
Keep It Clean wiring now offers push button starter switches that allow you to start your vehicle with the touch of a button. They are perfect for mounting in a small, hidden area that has just enough room to access the button. The Keep It Clean illuminated push button starter switches feature a red illuminated button, chrome trim, easy wiring terminals, and detailed instructions for a quick installation.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Engine Start Illuminating Push Button

Ignite your engine! Universal with interchangeable button covers in red, blue & yellow. Turn your key and let the starter button do the rest. Can be wired to starter system or simply connected to dash lights for effect.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Mustang Push Button Start Ignition Kit (05-09)

Product Features Quick Facts
Push Button Start
Includes harness & instructions for an easy install
No Drilling - Installs in the existing Power Point
Brushed Metal Trim Ring
Fits all 2005-2009 Mustangs
Give your new 05-09 Mustang the same cool Push Start Ignition Button as the Ford GT super car!

Product DescriptionPush to Start. Now you can give your new 2005 to 2009 S197 Mustang the same cool Push Button Start Ignition system that Exotic Super Cars like the Ford GT come with standard for a fraction of the price.

Easy Operation. The Stack Racing Push Start Ignition Button allows you to simply turn the key to the "on" position and then press the button to unleash to the power of your pony.

Straight Forward Install. The Push Button Ignition kit easily installs in the existing Power Point located in the center of your dash with the included wire harness, so there is no drilling into your dash.

The Stack Racing Push Start Ignition is possible the coolest functional modification you can make to your pony's interior.

Specifications

Fits 2005-2009 Mustangs
Brushed Metal Trim Ring
Start Your Car with the Push of a Button
No Drilling - Installs in Existing Power Point
Comes with Harness & Instructions

Last edited by Fifty150; 03-17-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 AM
M-11572-GT - Ford Racing GT Start Button Kit

Easy upgrade to enhance your 2005-Up Mustang. Fits in the existing Power Point located in the center of the dash. Turn the key to the on position then press the button to start. Features red illumination and includes special wire harness for easy installation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To: Push-button Start (2004-2008)