Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How-To: Push-button Start (2004-2008)

Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's pretty sweet! I'm looking forward to the write up

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
i wanna do this. what color are the wires for my year? i know its an expedition but it should be the same as the f150 of the same year.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
Im in the middle of mine as well. I took a different aproach. I did not gut the cig lighter and the only thing I had to cut was the orange part off of the housing. I stuck the button in just far enough to when the lighter is pressed the coils of it press the button. It makes it a bit easier to fabricate and requires less cutting. The wiring up is just the same.

This is the part that you stick the actual lighter in. There used to be a orange connector on the back of this. I cut it off with a hacksaw and drilled the hole out big enough to stick the button through.

Here you can see the lighter actually in the piece. You can see that I left the lighter in tact completely.

I then installed the push button far enough back so that the lighter can be placed in place. But when you actually push the lighter in it depresses the button down. So it looks just like a regular sig lighter. You can even take it out and show people that it is just a normal lighter

Shows it inside the plug.

I used some wireties on the shaft of the starter to make sure that it didnt back off. I just used to included hardware to make it tight.

I did not wire it up tonight because it got dark. Tomorrow I will accomplish that tast including the squirt mod (valet switch) and will get pics of that as well.

Thanks again OP.

And I dont see why the wires would heat up any more than they already do now.
Where did you get your button? And how much? Thanks
-Frankie

Old 02-14-2011, 10:15 PM
So I have the remote start, so obviously a momentary push button wont work for me. I put in a rocker switch and I left it in the "ON" position so that I can use the remote start in the morning. Will I see any issues leaving the switch in the "On" Position? I also put in a couple of momentary switches right next to it. Thanks for that, now I got the idea in my head that I need a NO2 set up in the truck

Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 AM
does no one know what wires it is for the 97-03 f150 or 97-02 expedition? and would this work as a switch? i have one laying around. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:11,s:0 cause if not ill go buy a real starter/horn switch.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by panda24619
does no one know what wires it is for the 97-03 f150 or 97-02 expedition? and would this work as a switch? i have one laying around. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:11,s:0 cause if not ill go buy a real starter/horn switch.
Yeah that should work, as long as it can handle the amps, and from what I've read, it is the blue/green, and the red/blue wires coming from the ignition. Just remove the access panel under your steering column and the panels from around your steering wheel, grab a multimeter and start testing if they don't seem to match the descriptions. Happy cut/splicing

Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ford12508
So I have the remote start, so obviously a momentary push button wont work for me. I put in a rocker switch and I left it in the "ON" position so that I can use the remote start in the morning. Will I see any issues leaving the switch in the "On" Position? I also put in a couple of momentary switches right next to it. Thanks for that, now I got the idea in my head that I need a NO2 set up in the truck
Check out page 7, somebody else was having some troubles/questions about the same thing and it seems to have been resolved there. Hope it all works out

Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by fordfenatic09
Yeah that should work, as long as it can handle the amps, and from what I've read, it is the blue/green, and the red/blue wires coming from the ignition. Just remove the access panel under your steering column and the panels from around your steering wheel, grab a multimeter and start testing if they don't seem to match the descriptions. Happy cut/splicing
how many amps is it? i dont think the switch can handle it. ill just buy the big one. cause its SOOOO exspencive! but okay ill look. i gotta take the dash apart now! then ill post pics on how i did it!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
how many amps is it? i dont think the switch can handle it. ill just buy the big one. cause its SOOOO exspencive! but okay ill look. i gotta take the dash apart now! then ill post pics on how i did it!
Yeah, I do believe a 15A switch should handle it, just check the ignition fuse, whatever it's rated at should be plenty for your switch. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product

Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I do believe a 15A switch should handle it, just check the ignition fuse, whatever it's rated at should be plenty for your switch. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product
well first i gotta find time. gotta do some stuff and buy the switch. they should have it at o'rielys right? ill most likely do it this week. i want to be the only expedition with a push start button!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 PM
well first i gotta find time. gotta do some stuff and buy the switch. they should have it at o'rielys right? ill most likely do it this week. i want to be the only expedition with a push start button!
yeah they should have something that'll work, but you won't be the only one, there's a few guys with them on here already.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 AM
yeah they should have something that'll work, but you won't be the only one, there's a few guys with them on here already.
on their expeditions? lame! o well. at least ill be the only one in SD with one! haha i found out my little button switch can hold 16As. will that be enough? if not i found a starter switch i like that can hold 60As but its $10. haha

Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 AM
on their expeditions? lame! o well. at least ill be the only one in SD with one! haha i found out my little button switch can hold 16As. will that be enough? if not i found a starter switch i like that can hold 60As but its $10. haha
yeah, they have em on their expeditions, and yeah 16 amps oughta do it, I have a 15A. I just got mine all fabbed up last night, I'm wiring it in today

Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 PM
yeah, they have em on their expeditions, and yeah 16 amps oughta do it, I have a 15A. I just got mine all fabbed up last night, I'm wiring it in today
okay let me know how it goes. and i think im going to do it later today. or at least take apart the dash. still not sure where yo put the button. maybe in my center console.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Just got mine all finished, I'll take pics this weekend and get 'em up so you can see how I did it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To: Push-button Start (2004-2008)