2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
142,000 starter died. When cranking engine I heard nothing but a click.
I replalced it with a heavy-duty starter. Now it has a little different sound on start-up.
You can hear the starter and it makes a noise almost like "spooling".

i also needed an inspection, so my mechanic drove my truck for 30 miles. He told me that the notorious tick noise from the 5.4's is coming from the lifters.
He told me next time don't use full synthetic. I believe he said conventional 10-40 would eliminate the noise. (not positive on exact oil)

Last edited by fucci93; 11-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I still love my 04 super crew 4x lariat. it's lifted and rolls 35's. and I use it in my construction business and daily driver. 129k miles. I have kept it well maintained, a few minor rattles and the lamps on the window switch pod are out. the usual, belts, brakes, plugs, etc. extended warranty covered the valve cam phasers and I just replaced the transmission. she runs hard and is a great truck.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 PM
101 n change on the clock on my early 05 model..... ummm. yeah fellas, noise from the cam phazers are bad juju... Had a new engine installed at 99,900 thanks to my local ford dealer and my warranty company... 7000.00 worth... you all should have seen the damage inside the motor and I wish I had a camera that day. 1/8 in deep grooves all the left cam lobes.. JMHO but if your rig is making racket, FIX IT now before it kills your engine.

E

Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 AM
98K miles
6" Full Traction suspension lift on 35s
and only prob so far is the AC compressor

Last edited by ZrEd0487; 01-08-2013 at 02:51 AM. Reason: forgot text
Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM
117,000 miles yesterday.

have lost both driver and passenger window regulators - usually in the dead of winter making for a super cold drive home.

after the 100k service this truck came alive! I'm consistently running 15-16 MPG with mixed highway/city driving. (i will admit i'm eyeballing the ecoboost but this one is paid for)

i run oversized tires, i think they're about 31x10.5 (ish) up from the tiny *** stock size, have the front leveled, hypertech max-energy tuner, roush off-road exhaust...i have been nothing but impressed with this truck.

yeah its burning about a quart of oil every 4k miles, but thats all.

Best vehicle I have ever owned, hands down.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Bought my 2004 Supercab FX4 new and Have 170k miles on it. Use it for everything. No major probelms...a few minor ones along the way

Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 AM
128k on mine now, it feels like I'm getting some power loss or something going on now but other than that it has been a solid truck. My driver side rear window motor is making a hell of a noise so I'm looking to replace it soon.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Just a quick addition to my earlier post on this subject: my '03 5.4 is the 2-valve engine without VCT, for which I am heartily grateful after reading all the posts on here about clicking cam phasers. The engine uses less than a quart of oil between changes, and other than minor lifter clicking when first started on cold mornings, it runs like a new engine.
One minor addition since my last post: I just put Bilstein shocks on it all around - wow! What a difference! The old shocks were, as far as I can tell, original, or at least were OEM Ford replacement units. I can't find anything in the old records for the truck where they were ever replaced, and they were still working, but not "like new." I dunno - I never heard of OEM shocks lasting 200K plus miles, but I guess it's possible? Anyway, the new Bilsteins have made an amazing difference in the ride and handling. I can't wait to see how much difference they make with trailer towing.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM
159000 Km and still going strong. The engine is still pulling hard. I guess the full synthetic oil and 91 octane fuel since day 1 has paid off.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Let's see. 2004 F150 FX4 5.4L 173,000 miles. I've had the tranny rebuilt at 83k, alternator went out, replaced both passenger and driver side window regulators, had an open circuit that prevented all windows from lowering, engine is consuming too much oil now and it sounds like a hard drive crunching somewhat frequently. A/C and heater can be balky at very infrequent times and the tailgate has a very difficult time opening (which could be good since it makes it even harder to steal).

Those were the things that were out of warranty. There were a few things under warranty that were done, but they weren't major work. Some were TSBs.

Last edited by Ghostface147; 02-16-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Sitting at 89k now. I should roll 100k around next fall/ winter and she'll be a garage queen from then on out if all goes as planned.

As of right now I've had all brake components replaced (have yet another warped rotor), fully replaced front end and rear suspenion (minus upper drivers side bj), pinion seal and rear diff fluid changed, coolant, hoses, thermostat, pan and filter drop on tranny and fpdm. I will be getting a full tranny dealer service this summer.

Rack is bad from what I can tell, but other than that she's really been running good.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Mine just turned 62K and other than filling up my power steering fluid..just a small leak in the hose which probably sealed itself from all the gunk under there. Just doing some appearance mods on her right now. No drivetrain problems just yet. She just became my daily driver since my project Mustang is now a show car. But maybe needing some new tires as well...but so far so good.

Plan on changing out the fuel filter and attempt the notorious spark plug changing..lol!!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 PM
My 4X4 Lariet has about 114000 miles on it and for the most part she has held up well. My sunroof broke late fall of last year and I manage to get it closed. I put off tearing out the liner till now so me and a buddy are going to tackle this in the next couple of weeks. Two weeks ago, I replaced the front rotors. I'm currently doing my 100000 miles mainteance list. Looking at tune-up first then moving on the fuel filter, shocks, 4X4 serviced. I'm planning on keeping it another 5 years so its going to be critical that I get the most out of her.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Mines a screw 5.4 with 118,520ish on the odo. Mods include gotts w/ k&n filter, level with 35's, magnaflow exhaust, edge evolution on level 2, offroad lights on a nfab prerunner lightbar, bilsteins, and some other stuff. I LOVE this truck, always gets mobil 1 full synthetic and the plugs were changed at 95k.

That being said...

When I bought it at 79k it had no phaser knock, now it knocks like my dads 7.3, not too worried about it right now.
Alternator(i think) whines until warmed up in cold weather at certain rpms, very annoying.
Front passenger window has issues getting up in the cold.
Back window leaks, needs some caulk.
Biggest issue has been the engine dying in full lock turns, usually in reverse, I'm getting a code about power steering sensor circuit overpressure or something like that. I'll find out the code tomorrow and edit my post, has been doing it ever since I got the thing, and died stopping uphill once. NO ONE knows what this is lol, rpms just drop and drop until its dead.
Tranny is strong and its got plenty of power.

I'm leaving for the army in a month, it just got 2 new tires for the front and its getting a procomp prorunner kit and alignment before I leave. It'll be doing a lot of sitting while im in training the next couple years. I got this truck after highschool for 15k, a good deal for a fx4 screw, threw the level and 35's on it a month later. It has been really great driving this truck for the last two and a half years, it's served me really well. Plenty of days mudding with my boys and plenty of backseat action with girls, roadtrips, shooting long range out the bed, etc. I really am going to miss it, oh well, in a couple years a raptor may be in my future.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:11 AM

Name:  IMAG0364.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  152.9 KB

2004 lariat screw with 188,000 miles.2 inch level with 32"x11" tires. repainted old plastic parts with a new black paint for plastic.

have had to replace the cam phaser actuator on driver side twice due to a sludging problem. we think the previous owner used crappy oil or did not change oil regularly. however this was almost a year apart. I just think more gunk moved down the line and plugged the actuator.

also had a blinker problem that turned out to be a lot of dirt in 1 of the plugs under the bed. The tail lights would sometimes go out and both blinkers would sometimes blink rapidly like a blown bulb. however it just turned out to be the plug not having a good connection.

I bought the truck 2 years ago and it has been very reliable overall. As long as this sludging problem stays minimal, the truck should do well for a long time to come.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?