2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I gotta say my 98 with 287,000 on the clock has been the best one I ever owned. Above typical maintenance on the thing I have replaced 2 alt's, 4 coil packs, one A/C compressor. Right now she's in need of new shocks and another ball joint and some tires. Still has the original exhaust! (I had to drill out the manifold studs after they rotted through). She's getting pretty rusty around the cab corners and the rockers are pretty much gone - but I'm looking forward to hitting 300K this year!! Still purring like a kitten...

Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 PM
My 04 has 276k miles on it. Its in great shape, and runs like a champ. Its pretty much assigned to snowplow duty now and the kids like to drive it around town. I bought a Raptor 3 years ago and have put a 105,000 on it, so the '04 is no longer a daily driver.

Ed

Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 AM
207k on my 2004 SCREW Lariat 4x4

Almost done wrapping up major timing parts replacement: phasers, chains, tensioners, guides, VCT solenoids, main sprocket, new belt and idler pulleys, and fuel filter. Also new plugs (yes, original plugs at 207k) and 3 of them broke (thanks Lisle!).

She's been out of commission for nearly two years, until I got the funds for the parts and the time to get to work! I moved her to the driveway back in January to begin working, and put the battery in tonight and she fired back up! I can't remember the engine sounding that smooth. Now I just need to find and fix the coolant leak (may need a new radiator) and she'll be on the road again!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Purchased pre owned 4/10/06 with 16K on the odometer. I am now staring at 95K and have had to put on 2 sets of brakes, 1 just a pad reline / rotor turning, and the second one was pads and rotors.

Other than that, and your usual maintenance stuff, I have had to...

Transmission was rebuilt at about 32K under warranty.

Ball joints both uppers and lowers were gone by 90K. I could blame it on the leveling kit, but I prefer to blame it on the idiotic engineers that opted to leave out the Grease fittings. I consider it an opportunity to upgrade to Moog Problem Solvers...

Both drivers and passengers front window regulators have failed. Both were replaced under warranty.

At 94K, the transmission started spewing fluid, a LOT of fluid, I was finding it in the bell housing, and thought it was from the pump oil seal, and while there was some weeping from the pump seal, it wasn't much, not enough to account for the fluid loss. Discovered a failed vent line on top of the transmission. Lots of work and down time for such a stupid simple fix...

While it has been anything but trouble free, when you consider that I went from 20K miles to 60K miles in 6 months, and the remaining miles have slowly accumulated slowly over the years. Sitting in a driveway unlubricated for long periods isn't exactly good for rubber products... Some of this is my fault However ball joint, regulators, and tranny failure #1 I pin squarely on Ford for design issues, and a QC flub...

Still much more relaibly than any Chevrolet anyone in the family has ever had...

Old 05-11-2014, 09:01 PM
My 2005 @ 93k

I wish I could say my time with my 2005 was flawless but overall she was a reliable truck from the day I drove her off the lot 9 years ago. It had just rolled 93k miles on the day I traded her in last Thursday.

Over the years...
  • In 2007 a fuel injector stuck open flooding the cylinder and bent at least one rod, trashing the engine. Was in repair for almost 3 weeks. When I got it back with a new short block I took it on a 300 mile road trip hauling a car trailer and lost brakes due to the tech not putting a clip on a vacuum line. Covered under warranty.
  • In 2009, new brakes. Turned front rotors replaced rears.
  • In 2010, replaced fuel door under extended warranty.
  • In 2011, clock spring recall performed.
  • In 2012, replaced failed knock sensor, changed plugs.
  • In 2013, replaced drivers window regulator after window fell into door on a 5 degree night at 55mph.
  • In 2013, replaced blower motor resistor.
  • In 2013, replaced 2 broken front coil springs & shocks. New Cooper LT tires.
  • In 2013, replaced fuel pump control module after being stranded roadside.
  • In 2013, new brakes. New rotors on all wheels. Replaced rusted parking brake levers.
  • In 2014, replaced passenger window regulator after window fell into door on a 20 degree night at 65mph.
  • Replacement needed for worn intermediate steering shaft.
  • Replacement needed for blower motor resistor (again).
  • Issues with erratic fuel level readings.

The amount of stupid things breaking was astonishing. It felt like I was constantly fixing the thing last year.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM
120k, early build 2004 screw 4x4

-three instrument clusters
-4 window regulators
-front rack and pinion
-driver's side window switch
-ac blower motor
-firewall mod due to massive leakage into floorboard
-hard downshift from overdrive (not fixed)
-god-awful noise from suspension (not fixed, may be 4x4 system)
-cloth is durable, but very stained
-front console pad coming apart
-3rd brake light replaced 4 times to fix leak
-rear windshield removed 2 times to try and fix leak. Still leaking from somewhere.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 PM
My '04 Screw FX4 has 196,000 this week. Overall, the thing has been great since I bought it new. I have had the typical maintenance of tires, brakes, shocks, rotors, belts. I got in a bad hail storm four years ago and got new paint, cowlings, mirrors, etc. The torque converter went at 96,000 miles. I have replaced the passenger rear window regulator once. Plugs came out at 160,000 miles (yeah, I missed the 500 topics on this, lol) and ended up with a few broken ones. I have replaced alternator, front hubs, struts, and coil springs due to one shearing off (which was a shocker). I am starting to get evidence of rust on the bottom of the passenger rear cab corner. The interior is in great condition with the fabric wearing thin on the drivers seat where you get in and out. I would like to make it to 300K before the outlay for another one. Overall, its been a great truck.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM
My 2004 flare side standard cab FX4 has 117K. Both cam phasers and a wheel sensor were replaced under warranty. The notorious "F150 breaking plugs" were replaced at 112K for $350, all of them came out fine. I replaced the Serpentine belt myself last year. Passenger side window regulator broke and was repaired for $300, and a repair on the drivers seat was $65. Thats all. There was a bumping noise in the front end, like something worn or loose. But the 6" RC lift I recently had installed must have corrected the problem. I don't hear the noise anymore. I think I might need brakes soon, the pedal is going halfway down...

Old 07-07-2014, 04:05 PM
06 with 110k only changed spark plugs, replaced fuel pump module, and need to fix lower steering shaft.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM

^ an 06 isn't an 04

Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
^ an 06 isn't an 04
Yep, I just noticed that.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sitting at about 95K, and so far I have...

#1. Replaced upper and lower ball joints at approx 88K.
#2. 2 sets of brakes. OEM brakes stunk. EBC Greenstuff 6000s on OEM rotors. Pads good, rotors warped. Currently on Powerstop drilled / slotted rotors and semi metallic pads. VERY happy with this configuration.
#3. Transmission rebuilt on warranty at 30K.
#4. Major trans leak at 92K, wasn't super sure of the source as the fluid was ending up IN the bellhousing, so I swapped the torque converter, front seal, pump O ring, and found when I had it apart the 90 degree rubber bend in the vent line was crumbling and leaking like a sieve... Oh well. I also took the opportunity to inspect the trans, and install a drain plug in the pan. It is good to go for quite a while.
#5. Both front window regulators and the passengers rear regulator were replaced under warranty.
#6. Regularly scheduled maintenances including all required fluids...
#7. A pillar grab handle replaced at 95K after my fat butt broke it off.

I am presently gearing up to perform the following maintenance / repairs.
Sway Bar End Liniks.
Differential oil change on both ends. T-case is already done.
Flush & bleed brakes.
Flush & fill power steering.
Replace all belts and hoses, flush cooling system, replace with fresh coolant.
Spark plug change.

I have a leather seat conversion scheduled after the mechanical work is done, I will replace the drivers seat foam at that time. Again, big guy, and I tend to wear out seat foam...

Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 PM
so im new to this sight and I know its not an 04 but I was wanting some opinions. I have an 08 f150 xlt 5.4l that I recently bought dirt cheap. the truck is showroom clean but was previously owned by a man who traveled for a living. the truck had 250k on it when I bout it. It has original motor and trans and has been very well taken care of. I have searched over it many times and cant find any problems so far and everything seems to be tight and in good running order. what kind of life do yall think I will get out of this truck???

Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Highway miles are easy... I have 103k on my '04 and drive as much highway as possible

Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM
First post. Just bought 04 XLT Screw V8 4.6 with 161k on the clock. Excellent condition. Looks almost new inside and out. Had a multipoint inspection done by a shop that identified minor leaks of the rear axle seals and dirty brake fluid as the only things. Fixed those immediately.

Recently done right before I bought it:
Spark plugs and wires
Brake pads
Tires
New windshield

What I did right away to it:
Replaced both rear axle seals
Flushed brake fluid
Changed out a reverse light bulb
Popped a dent out of the front fender with my hand by removing the inner liner

What I'm about to do:
Replace the fuel door housing assembly to fix floppy fuel door
Paint the faded exterior black plastic trim
Pay a paintless dent repairman to take out a few small parking lot dings

Besides those things, I want to maximize the life of the truck by doing everything in my power to maintain it, so long as it remains economical over purchasing a new vehicle.

My question would be to those of you with the knowledge and experience, what is the scheduled maintenance past 150k miles? I checked the Ford maintenance schedule and it stops at 150k. That and any other general tips to maximize longevity are much appreciated!

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?