Lightning

I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crankshaft questions

Apparently Sal's post about breaking a cast crank was erroneous. My new motor is ready to go in the truck, but there is a question as to whether it has a cast crank or a forged crank. My builder seems to think it is a cast crank, and has ordered a forged one which is supposed to arrive Monday. But there's no use replacing the existing one if its a forged piece. Is there anyway to tell without pulling it out?

Last edited by alphadoggy; 07-19-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:09 AM
Banned
What are you worried about? Youre not going to be breaking any cranks george. Just drive the focker and enjoy it.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:11 AM
I have 3 of them

Steve

PS : no crank jokes ****

Last edited by Calightnin; 07-18-2003 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Give me a break. We see one post about a broken crankand it on with the Ford bashing. This is getting lame. So now Ford should have built the bottom ends to handle 1000FTLBs>??? Get real man. Ford you get my -Mat-

Old 07-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Re: I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help

Originally posted by alphadoggy
Then I read Sal's post about breaking his crank, and discover that the ***** b*******s decided to save money by putting cast cranks in the '01 and up motors.
No Ford bashing intended
BUT
IS THIS TRUE ???

Because "IF" it is

I have the spec's right in front of me for the 01 + 02
and it CLEARLY SAYS FORGED STEEL CRANK for both yr's

This would absolutely be false avertisement and a major law suite would be in order

IS THIS TRUE ???

Old 07-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get one from Ford.

Lightning specs: "Longitudinally mounted, single overhead cam, 90-degree Triton™ V8, supercharged / intercooled, cast-iron block, aluminum alloy heads, forged steel crankshaft."

"WITH ALL THAT POWER generated by its supercharger and intercooler, the SVT Lightning’s Triton™ V8 has to be built with the most robust components. The basic engine architecture is the foundation for it all. There is the inherent rigidity of a cast-iron block with deep skirts that extend below the centerline of its forged-steel crankshaft. Then there are forged, dished-top SVT pistons that lower the compression ratio to 8.4:1."

Plain as day. Forged cranks. Forged pistons. If I didn't get either, sign me up for the lawsuit. In fact, if someone can verify that the above information is false, I'll FILE the damn lawsuit. I file in federal court almost daily.

Been eatin' those cornflakes again, George?

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 07-18-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Do you think that '01 and up owners will have any legal recourse in this situation?

Old 07-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Someone please send me a picture of what this cast crank looks like. I blew my 2001 and have it sitting in the garage and want to see if it is cast. I also have a supposed 99 engine sitting on my engine stand and want to see if that crank is cast or forged. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Suggestion number one:

get a second opinion

Suggestion number two:

Have a couple cold ones......

Everyone needs to lightning up a little it's Friday for God's sakes!

My source at Ford tells me forged no doubt about it, and reminded my that all Ford employees including engineers are told not to encourage mods with anyone, sounds like your contact is doing his job by simply discouraging mods with lower tolerance level info.

Suggestion number three, go back to suggestion number two
Just my opinion mind you......

Old 07-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Adrenaline
Do you think that '01 and up owners will have any legal recourse in this situation?
Yes. This would be a material misrepresentation. Lanham Act (false advertising), unfair competition (state and federal), and fraud (Ford must have known the claim was false). Of course, before running off to file a suit, I would want bulletproof evidence that the cranks and/or pistons are in fact cast.

There have been numerous product defect cases where the cases were dismissed unless the plaintiff actually exhibited some defect, but I do not think that this would apply to a false advertising action.

Once again, let's reserve judgment until we have real proof. I cannot believe that Ford would (a) use cast parts on a blown engine, and (b) not change its product literature to reflect that fact.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm glad you are on our side Tim...

Old 07-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Doesn't that brochure have a disclaimer which states something like, the information may not be 100% accurate...In the same brochure don't they say that locking lug nuts are standard, however no one ever got them.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:25 AM
I got mine,

Old 07-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Re: Re: I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help

Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
No Ford bashing intended
BUT
IS THIS TRUE ???

Because "IF" it is

I have the spec's right in front of me for the 01 + 02
and it CLEARLY SAYS FORGED STEEL CRANK for both yr's

This would absolutely be false avertisement and a major law suit would be in order

IS THIS TRUE ???
Well, I don't know, but in my 2000 brochure it clearly states, "Spinning inside the block is a steel crankshaft, forged in America by Krupp Gerlach Company, employing the same advanced methods used to create the steel crankshafts of the SVT Cobra and SVT Contour." Do you have a 2001 brochure? Does it say the same thing? If so I would be indebted to you if you would copy that page and mail it to me. I haven't read the whole brochure, but I imagine that somewhere in there is the standard disclaimer, prices and specifications subject to change without notice. If there is, I still don't know that it would get Ford off the hook or not.

So Steve, would you be willing to sell me one of your steel cranks?

In the rosy glow of dawn, time constraints being what they are, my inclination today is just to button the sucker up, put it in the truck, and if it breaks it breaks. What do you guys think I should do?

Old 07-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by easterisland
Doesn't that brochure have a disclaimer which states something like, the information may not be 100% accurate...In the same brochure don't they say that locking lug nuts are standard, however no one ever got them.
I don't think that would get Ford off the hook. If it would, then every advertisement or contract would state this and people could commit fraud without penalty. Makes no sense to me. We are not talking about changing the bore 1mm, we are talking a major engine component.

Quick Reply: I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help