Lightning

I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: crankshafts

Originally posted by alphadoggy
Bull puckey! It seems to me that you are the one who is jumping to conclusions. The money for this project is coming out of my pocket, not Ford's. $3000+ to Sal for rods, pistons, balancer, pumps, rails, etc. $6000+ to JDM for heads, cams, exhaust, etc. $3000 to JL for blower. Mucho bucks to other vendors for the rest of the parts. Not one nickel subsidized by Ford. But damnit, it says there in black and white that my truck is supposed to have a forged crank. And it doesn't. Ford engineering has admitted to me that the cast crank in my '01 motor is at risk if I run over 15 lbs. of boost. This is unacceptable. It is misrepresentation at best, fraud at worst. The problem is taken care of. I have a forged crank on the way. But I will never take any of Ford's representations at face value again.
Settle down there doggy.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=122747

Old 07-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Jay Lincoln
George, one thing to remember if you, indeed, did get a cast crank.

Cast cranks can be very durable if they are prepped right, and balanced properly.

If you keep the RPM within reason, it will probably live long and prosper. It's RPM that kills them.

I've run cast cranks in many high performance applications, and have yet to break one. On my short stroke motors, 6500 RPM has proven to be a safe level.

With our long stroke motors, I probably wouldn't wind them up that tight.
Jay, I know you are right, I had already come to that conclusion, Sal also said as much, and I had told my builder to go ahead and button the sucker up and throw it in the truck, but then I had the opportunity to obtain a forged crank at a very reasonable price, so we are going to go ahead and swap it out.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Re: Re: Re: crankshafts

Originally posted by MaxTorque02
Settle down there doggy.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=122747

lol. Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: crankshafts

Originally posted by alphadoggy
lol. Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective.
No problem. Good luck on your project and update us on the results when you get that monster finished. Sounds like it could be one heck of a runner.

Old 07-19-2003, 05:42 AM
You guys sure make it hard for someone to learn anything from this site. People who think they know and dont know jump on the band wagon.

Hey why dont u see if a 4.6 romeo has a forged crank? no it doesnt unless a cobra, all windsors do. But i bet if someone who acts like they know alot says a romeo is stronger then a windsor then evry one will complain about getting a windsor. (o just in case someone missed it a windsor is stronger, but i guess you could talk about the cam girdles in the romeo, o lets complain about that now)

first post - my lightning is the best, next post this crap ford can only handle 1000 lbs of tourque, my tranny is cooked and i only had a 20 lbs pully

I personally am amazed that Sal's took what he gives to it and I'm proud to own a lightning - sure we could use better rods but some of us dont have an endless bank account. Just wait untill the dodge comes out, how much will a L cost then.

So just wondering, I got blurred vision trying to read all the arguing about reflashing the pcm and a chip so what was the verdict?

O and yes my sonic blue paint has some bad area's and my 6 disc changer has an hi pitch squeel and I havent decided wether or not to get my paint fixed and the I've waited over a month and still have not gotten my replacement stereo, but i have a forged crank , well atleast i hope so

Old 07-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by black f150 offroad
You guys sure make it hard for someone to learn anything from this site. People who think they know and dont know jump on the band wagon.

Hey why dont u see if a 4.6 romeo has a forged crank? no it doesnt unless a cobra, all windsors do. But i bet if someone who acts like they know alot says a romeo is stronger then a windsor then evry one will complain about getting a windsor. (o just in case someone missed it a windsor is stronger, but i guess you could talk about the cam girdles in the romeo, o lets complain about that now)

first post - my lightning is the best, next post this crap ford can only handle 1000 lbs of tourque, my tranny is cooked and i only had a 20 lbs pully

I personally am amazed that Sal's took what he gives to it and I'm proud to own a lightning - sure we could use better rods but some of us dont have an endless bank account. Just wait untill the dodge comes out, how much will a L cost then.

So just wondering, I got blurred vision trying to read all the arguing about reflashing the pcm and a chip so what was the verdict?

O and yes my sonic blue paint has some bad area's and my 6 disc changer has an hi pitch squeel and I havent decided wether or not to get my paint fixed and the I've waited over a month and still have not gotten my replacement stereo, but i have a forged crank , well atleast i hope so
Hard to learn something? As opposed the ease with which one is to learn something from this schizophrenic and barely intelligible post?

Hello, pot, meet kettle.

Old 07-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Talking

i thought he was just speaking Canadian or something

Old 07-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Quote:
"Everyone can ease back to DefCon 1."

You sure lightened this subject up, Tim!

Old 07-19-2003, 04:05 PM
I hope I make enough power to break a crank someday. I'll get out and do a little dance.... or something.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:31 AM
My 02 came with a cast crank and its still sitting at REM...the steel cranks look different , they have a blueish tint to them......

Old 07-20-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by promodlightning
My 02 came with a cast crank and its still sitting at REM...the steel cranks look different , they have a blueish tint to them......

It came from the factory with a cast crank? Are you sure? What's your build date?

Old 07-20-2003, 01:42 AM
build date 5/08/02...from Ontario the truck plant , number 3829....the guys at REM couldnt even believe it...but the steel cranks clearly look different.....

Old 07-20-2003, 01:50 AM
Hrmm...this is a bit alarming considering mine was built 2 days before!

So I'm still confused...the consensus from Sal and JL was that all Lightnings from 99+ had forged cranks...

But you have a cast? Not flaming or accusing anyone but I would like more confirmation if possible?

Old 07-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Promod, give me your VIN and I'll check your bill of materials and let you know for sure.

Old 07-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
Promod, give me your VIN and I'll check your bill of materials and let you know for sure.

Quick Reply: I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help