Lightning

I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alphadoggy - calm down, like they said, you're not gonna be making power to break it so don't worry.

As for the brochures:
Follwing publication of this technical data card, changes in standard equipment, options, prices, and the like, or product delays, may have occured, which would not be inlcuded here. Your Ford Dealer is the best source for up-to-date information. Ford Division reserves the right to change product specifications at any time without incurring obligation.
And that one does state a forged steel crankshaft.

I have another brochure which reads them exact statement as quoted, with the exception of 'technical data card' is replaced with 'brochure'.

It would be nice to catch Ford up in that, but with amount of lawsuits floating around companies put disclaimers everywhere to cover their butts from every angle.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help

Originally posted by alphadoggy
. . . In the rosy glow of dawn, time constraints being what they are, my inclination today is just to button the sucker up, put it in the truck, and if it breaks it breaks. What do you guys think I should do?

Considering the lack of credible evidence that the crank is in fact cast, and considerinf that exactly one person has broken a crank, and considering that the engine which broke the crank was a hardcore race machine, I would bolt that puppy up and take it for a spin.

Plus, you really have no recourse against Ford anyway. Ford did not build your engine.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:40 AM
George, don't sweat it. Remember, I had this crank in my truck for the past two years, with no problems. I snapped it with 24 lbs of Whipple twin screw AND a 300 shot of spray. I don't see anyone trying that combo anytime soon, and I wouldn't suggest it anyway . As for the advertising deal, well that's a different story, I'm not too happy about that either, considering I have an 01 myself, and used an 01 crank in this motor.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Button the beast up........................

I might as well cancel my KB, 16lb install tomorrow if I join in on the belief that they are not forged....................

Whether it is true or not we have awesome, limited trucks that kick asphault...........

I am holding onto the reason I bought my L, to have fun!

Good luck with your install today!!!

Old 07-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
alphadoggy - calm down, like they said, you're not gonna be making power to break it so don't worry.

As for the brochures:

And that one does state a forged steel crankshaft.

I have another brochure which reads them exact statement as quoted, with the exception of 'technical data card' is replaced with 'brochure'.

It would be nice to catch Ford up in that, but with amount of lawsuits floating around companies put disclaimers everywhere to cover their butts from every angle.
The burden would still be on Ford -- not the consumer -- to correct a material misrepresentation. My gut is usually right. My gut says that if Ford slipped in cast pistons or cranks, they are busted. And as most around here know, I am the first to side with Ford when it is falsely accused.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the advice, Tim. I just spoke to Sal, and he says that since I am not spraying and going with a measly 21 lbs. of boost I should be fine, so I have decided to go with plan B, which is to throw this motor in the truck and hope it hangs together until I can build another motor with some real grunt. (Are you listening, Doug?)

Old 07-18-2003, 11:44 AM
I have both the 01 and 02 factory Specs handed to me by the Salesman.
THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD AND BELIEVE I GOT
If it's differant, I GOT A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THAT

I'm going out for a bit, but later I WILL scan them, and post them.

You have my word on that

Old 07-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
I snapped it with 24 lbs of Whipple twin screw AND a 300 shot of spray.

Sal,
You're not saying your broken crank is cast are you?

Old 07-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Talking

Spinning inside the block is a steel crankshaft forged in America by Krupp Gerlach Company. Employing the same advanced methods used to create the steel cranks of the SVT Mustang Cobra and SVT Contour, this forged piece was a necessary component in the creation of such a potent engine. Six crankshaft counterweights contribute to the engine's smooth revving characteristics from idle to redline
since forged crankshafts are/were used in every Triton 4.6, 5.4, 6.8 engine, and that's like a billion or so, wouldn't it cost twice as much to go out and source a few thousand, to put in one of your most powerful vehicles, just so they would break and you would get caught with your crankshaft where it doesn't belong, or something

Old 07-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
I have both the 01 and 02 factory Specs handed to me by the Salesman.
THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD AND BELIEVE I GOT
If it's differant, I GOT A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THAT

I'm going out for a bit, but later I WILL scan them, and post them.

You have my word on that
It's already been said that the information states in the brochure that they have a forged crank, but it also states that specifications are subject to change. It seems impossible to hold the dealer or salesman liable, as they were not trying to deceive anybody. They just passed along information as stated in the brochure. Ford thinks they protected themselves by putting in a disclaimer.

The big picture is whether Ford could be found liable. They do state that specificications are subject to change. There has been no real evidence of a cast crank( if in fact some have a cast crank) causing problems and breaking (other than Sal pushing it to the very max, but that's pretty extreme). If one could prove a decrease in value due to the difference in cranks, then there might be some validity, but that would also be very hard to prove. One thing to consider is that each person would have to pull their pan to inspect the crank and also confirm if it is a cast or forged crank. To many variables and probably would cost a lot of money to fight this. This seems like a very tough lawsuit to persuit and probably not worth it. I suggest everybody just get some and enjoy the weekend with their trucks.

Last edited by MaxTorque02; 07-18-2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:32 PM
I have three engines and the cranks all looked the same to me.
I have two disassembled in the garage as I type.
1. stock engine(2001) with a broken rod and holes in the block
2. JDM built engine(?year) which the rings broke, probably due to my 150 shot and detonation.

The #1 crank is part # F75EAE which cross references to the expensive forged crank.
The #2 crank is part # F75EA17E which also cross references to the expensive forged crank.

I got this info by calling the ford parts guy. I have no way to verify this information.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Dan_03Lightning
and reminded my that all Ford employees including engineers are told not to encourage mods with anyone,
Bwahahaha

I guess all the engineers at Ford that I know are just bucking the system

Old 07-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Sinter forged...

I'm still guessing the cranks are Sinter forged. AKA powder forged...

Counts as forged, but much weaker than what you would think of as traditional forging.

Coldie

Old 07-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Alphadoggy, I agree just go drive it. Several people are doing big numbers with the crank you have.

Sal with 24# and 300 shot has issues from his childhood that causes him to act insane and break things. He can' t help himself.

If you do want a forged steel crank I'd suggest suggest you go to your local Ford dealer and see if they have any in the system. I bought three of them when I heard they were not going to make them anymore. At that time (March) there were 14 in the entire US. However that doesnt mean that they didn't continue to make them, I bought the three I have on the rumor.

Steve

Old 07-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
The burden would still be on Ford -- not the consumer -- to correct a material misrepresentation. My gut is usually right. My gut says that if Ford slipped in cast pistons or cranks, they are busted. And as most around here know, I am the first to side with Ford when it is falsely accused.
Tim - I'm in no position to argue any of the legal stuff with you, but my gut tells me that with alot of the wonderfull legal waste you see floating around costing the taxpayers dollars, that disclaimer may just get Ford out of any trouble.

That said, if there is something we can do about it, I'm in.

Quick Reply: I am so pi$$ed at Ford- need help